Page 1 of 23 [ 353 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 12:23 pm

Aside from the obvious cruelty and the conditions mirroring Nazi concentration camps, look at the environmental impact of the rampant meat industry.

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/environment.html

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 12:33 pm

Because I rely on animal proteins and sugars to help me with my low blood sugar. If I could do it, I would.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 12:40 pm

I tried it for a while, it was super hard. I think I need a lot more information. Like how do I naturally get enough of certain nutrients... b12 and vitamins D for example? I don't want to take dozens of pills with my dinner. How can I be vegan on a very tight budget?

I am ready to be educated and make reasonable changes that are within the realm of possibility.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 12:41 pm

1) I'm technically "vegetarian" because I don't eat meat, but it has nothing to do with "animal rights" or whatever. I just don't like the feel or taste.

2) Nazi concentration camps? Don't even try to compare cruel treatments of animals to cruel treatments to humans. Though humans are technically animals, the cruelty inflicted on other animals by humans can't even be compared to cruelty inflicted on humans by humans. It's just silly. Completely silly. Don't get me wrong, I like animals. But the people who value them as our equals (or imply doing so by making such posts as you did) have clear problems with grasping basic logic and reasoning and they piss me off.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 12:51 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
1) I'm technically "vegetarian" because I don't eat meat, but it has nothing to do with "animal rights" or whatever. I just don't like the feel or taste.

2) Nazi concentration camps? Don't even try to compare cruel treatments of animals to cruel treatments to humans. Though humans are technically animals, the cruelty inflicted on other animals by humans can't even be compared to cruelty inflicted on humans by humans. It's just silly. Completely silly. Don't get me wrong, I like animals. But the people who value them as our equals (or imply doing so by making such posts as you did) have clear problems with grasping basic logic and reasoning and they piss me off.

Basic logic? That's not logic it's emotion influenced by instinct. People are instinctively adverse to killing people which is why the military developed conditioning in the Vietnam war.

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 12:55 pm

Moog wrote:
I tried it for a while, it was super hard. I think I need a lot more information. Like how do I naturally get enough of certain nutrients... b12 and vitamins D for example? I don't want to take dozens of pills with my dinner. How can I be vegan on a very tight budget?

I am ready to be educated and make reasonable changes that are within the realm of possibility.

TBH my budget is tight too and I'm sure my diet isn't the most complete.

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 12:57 pm

I am way too poor for a balanced vegan diet.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 1:03 pm

A population in the magnitutde of this planets population would be impossible to achieve and unsustainable.

And those billions of animals we have domesticated and bred to be dependent on us. They require food too so without the management of the population we would have serious population problems that would cause vast disruption to the environment and other species.

Political veganism is utterly absurd.

Diet politics, only students trying to get laid for sounding edgy are into that shite

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 1:11 pm

You can have my steak when you pry it from you cold, dead hands!! :lol: 8)
I like meat, and also, I can't really afford most vegan foods, and I know people who went vegan who ended up getting really sick. I protest the meat industry's methods of treating animals, but I'm never giving up meat

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 1:41 pm

Reasons:
1. I enjoy the taste of meat, poultry, pork, fish and dairy.
2. I have eaten sheep, deer, moose, snails, alligator, frog, and shark.
3. I have tried cat, turtle, squirrel and allegedly buffalo.
4. I like honey in my tea.
5. I like beeswax candles.
6. I like silk.
7. I like alpaca wool.
8. I enjoy real leather and suede.
9. When eating a salad, I play the game Let's Find the Pieces of Bacon In The Lettuce.
10. I'm not willing to apologize or change any of these things.

This is why I am not vegan.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 2:12 pm

Seafood.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 2:25 pm

I absolutely hate vegetables. The last thing I want to eat is just that.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 2:30 pm

Because I could not imagine not eating meat.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 2:33 pm

I was vegan for about a year when I was a student, and vegetarian for 3 years in total. Despite reading lots of books and getting lots of advice, no matter how I adjusted my diet, I was without my period for the whole time. The week after I started eating meat again my period returned.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 2:33 pm

Number one reason why I am not a vegan - I'm poor.
I can't very well be a vegan if I'm dead.

Not everyone can afford that sort of diet, in fact I'm lucky if I can get things like meat and vegetables, when I do get them I do dislike that I have to buy chicken that probably never saw the light of day while alive, but my survival comes first. Being vegan is expensive; food, dietary supplements, cruelty-free toiletries, household items and clothing free from any animal products - both buying these items to begin with, and depending on how hard-core you expect us to be we'd also have to replace quite a few things in our home too (no leather, silk, wool, rubber, and countless other items that may have involved use of animal products).

If you're going to push vegan diet then you have to support lifestyle choices across the board, and if going to those sort of lengths for ethical and environmental reasons then you also have to address other issues - do you use fossil fuels, do you have carpeting, do you live in a house that is energy efficient, do you drive, ...how much CO2 are you responsible for by using your computer to post this...hmmmm? The only way to be ethically and environmentally sound is not only to not eat meat, but also to go live in a cave (being careful it's not a cave that is home to some rare bat or form of fungi) - we can't all do that, sorry.

For all the arguments for vegan lifestyle there are arguments against, the most obvious one being that it is unnatural and for most people it is also unhealthy, if you want to live as a vegan then fine but we can't all follow that lifestyle and we don't all want to. I would argue that if everyone was vegan we'd see far bigger problems, for example the economy would crash and human lives would suffer....cows would have no use (and I like the moos), but you bet those green fields they live on would be built upon.

A person can live ethically and be environmentally conscious while still consuming animal products.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Last edited by Bloodheart on 14 Apr 2011, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2011, 2:35 pm

hmm i wont eat endangered species anymore(not the classification, in general, dont eat tuna anymore)
i dont have a problem with most animals being used as a food source, only when the intelligence aproaches humans.

i dislike the eating habbits of most danish people as they eat too little green and everything tastes too fatty
i have once or twice a week where i simply dont feel like eating meat, because of taste, so i dont.

if you are thinking of the ethical treatment of animals then it is possible,
if you are thinking as a solution to the worlds energy/food/population problem, dont think it will work as people are entitled to free choice

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.