Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2005, 7:13 pm

The sensation of the clippers and head massages rule. (So do hot girl stylists but a good haircut is better in the long run!)

Actually more often I'd go to 'old man' barbers, often literally older men serving older customers in shops that were like stepping back in time, sometimes as far back as the 1950s. Places with straight razors and straps where you could get an old-fashioned shave if you wanted one. The 'You want highlights? Watch the news!' kind of places and people. Part of the fun!

One place even had one of those big clunky electric massagers you strap onto your hand with the motor on top. The barber would rub your shoulders with it when he was done cutting your hair. Nice.

The trouble was, again, those guys often weren't sure how to cut my hair right.

I give myself a haircut about once a month, maybe every month and a half.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 8:02 pm

I pretty much get their with an idea in my head of what I want, fail to be able to explain it and tell them to do the same haircut I had previously... and stay quiet all the time most part, hate the small talk. It's pointless.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2005, 12:27 am

I like the feeling after you get a big haircut... fresh and cool...

Getting a haircut in the process is kind of irritating... that said...

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2005, 2:43 am

i LOVE people playing with my hair. has to be the right people, of course... ;)

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2005, 3:58 am

Young_fogey wrote:
The sensation of the clippers and head massages rule.

Have you tried that Organsmatron thing that looks like it scoops your brain out? I love the feeling of the scissors and esp. getting my hairline at the back shaved - unfortunately I don't keep my hair short at the back! :roll:

Back rubs beat head massages in my view but not by much! :wink:

I hate having it washed tho and brushed.

Last edited by Noetic on 20 Jan 2005, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2005, 4:32 am

Noetic wrote:
Young_fogey wrote:
The sensation of the clippers and head massages rule.

Have you tried that Orgasmatron thing that looks like it scoops your brain out? I love the feeling of the scissors and esp. getting my hairline at the back shaved - unfortunately I don't keep my hair short at the back! :roll:

Back rubs beat head massages in my view but not by much! :wink:

I hate having it washed tho and brushed.

I've seen it advertised on the Web. It looks like the kind of thing I'd like but haven't bought it or had the chance to try it yet.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2005, 6:44 pm

I had a haircut yesterday. The onlything I don't like about it really is trying to explain what you want, and the small talk.

I like my hair being played with, and being cut, washed sprayed with water.

staceyv
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2005, 8:22 am

wow, I'm not alone. I also can't stand getting my hair cut. I went to this one place where they actually massage your head before they wash your hair- that was the worst, but how do you tell them politely that you don't want the stupid head massage?
And I also have trouble conveying to them what I really want. I have an exact idea, but I can't get it across to them. I always bring pictures with me.
last year I got the worst haircut of my life. I cried when I got home, and I wore a ponytail, even to bed, for about 6 months. I didn't even want my husband to see how ugly it was. Then I cut it myself and I liked it more. I also cut my husband's hair, and people compliment him on it all the time.
I came to the conclusion long ago that all hairdressers are stupid, dippy people with poor listening skills, but lucky for me, I just found a good one! :) (I went through the yellow pages and tried to find the most expensive hairdresser in a 20 mile range, I figured you get what you pay for) For $55 I actually got a decent haircut!

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2005, 8:23 am

Trouble is ~ when I cut my own hair I do it so it looks OK in the mirror which means I forget to do the back properly.

My wife usually has to point out that I have not bothered with the back.

I put it down to an impaired 'Theory of the Back of the Head' ~ i.e. what I can't see doesn't exist.

doubleone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2005, 9:33 am

I grew my hair long about a year or two ago. I haven't had it cut since, but I've got the problem that soon I'll have to get it cut otherwise I'll end up looking all girly :lol:

'How long?
Not long, 'cause what you reap is what you sow.'

(ph34r my new avatar!! !)

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2005, 10:50 am

I like boys with long hair.
I prefer when my hair is short. Trouble is: I don't like to go to the hairdresser (too much smells, people, and mirrors). A few years ago, the solution was to get my brother to cut my hair, he's a very talented self-taught hairdresser. But he went to live far away from home. :(
Edit: actually I meant he cuts hair like a hairdresser does, but he doesn't do it as a job.

Last edited by Fiddler on 22 Jan 2005, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2005, 11:20 am

To add to 'tries at normality that backfired', I grew out my hair 20 years ago when that was still somewhat fashionable but it went Jiffy-Pop on me giving me a 'bubble-top' which really didn't go with my modest height and unflattering (slight — no V torso or big muscles) build.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2005, 3:16 pm

I hate haircuts so much! :evil: I usually get it cut as short as possible when I do go, and don't return until I look like a yeti and just can't stand it anymore..... I too can't stand being touched by hairdressers, but more than anything I hate the enforced conversation with them you seem obliged to have to endure..... "No, I am NOT going anywhere nice for my holidays...... No, I don't go out ANYWHERE on Friday or Saturday nights...... etc, etc....." :evil: I feel like I need to start wearing a badge saying "I'm an aspie - please refrain from pointless conversation and just cut my blinking hair" or something......

Kittycat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2005, 8:05 pm

Ijust got a new hair cut and I sorta like it but I can't put it up very well anymore! :roll: My Bro Chris has hair soshort it is a buzz cut.

Kitty cat

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2005, 10:49 pm

I don't really like getting my hair cut. I'm getting it cut tomorrow and I'm thinking about getting a whole new style. The thing that bothers me the most though, is that once I get used to I new haircut, it is time to get it cut again.

hilarythebaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2005, 12:05 am

I actually like going to get a haircut...I am probably one of the few people with Asperger's who actually likes to chat and make some small talk. I also like getting hairdressers sometimes who don't speak English so I can put my knowledge of Spanish into practice.

The head massages and hair wash actually feel very good to me.