Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2005, 11:01 pm

Ugh I just got a haircut and realized how much I dispise them. I generally don't like to be touched by people, and even though I can tollerate it while getting a haircut, since its expected and doesn't surprise me, it still bugs me. One big problem is actually explaining what kind of hair cut I want, I never get what I am trying to say across very well so I never know exactly how my hair is going to turn out. All the hair products that smell get to me too....

The kicker is the almost manditory small talk... I never initiate it but sometimes they try asking quesitons... I give my answers and never persue the conversation further. The conversation usually ends with me saying I like to study math... and them saying oh I hate math.

Good thing for me they don't take too long, so it isn't that bad just annoying. :)

I usually get haircuts at a rate thats half of what people around me get... I just don't see the need to get a haircut all the time. Plus they are too danged expensive.

So what are some of your thoughts on haircuts... any ways you deal with them???

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2005, 11:45 pm

When I was a kid I hated haircuts for pretty much all those reasons but when I grew up 1) I figured out that a good hairstyle could do good things for me socially and 2) I enjoyed the token/practice social interaction. Even went to one of those chains because they had hot girls cutting your hair. But when I got older still, I wasn't satisfied with a lot of the cuts I was getting. I realized I could do it better myself. (Easy for me as I'm a man.) Got an electric clipper with clip-on comb attachments in 1998 and have cut my own hair ever since - except once, and that cut turned out so bad I went back to doing it myself.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 2:27 am

I cut my own hair too ~ I have done for years.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 3:12 am

last time i had a haircut was 1983(ish).

i cut my own, cos it's long, so i just trim the ends and the fringe every few weeks or so.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 4:10 am

Quote:
One big problem is actually explaining what kind of hair cut I want, I never get what I am trying to say across very well so I never know exactly how my hair is going to turn out.

Yeah, that's a real problem, it's hard to come out with what you want unless it's a trim or something.. and half the time they do that different, too. :(

For me, I like to get haircuts to stop my hair from looking boring.. It looks terrible at the moment, it's well past my shoulders and I think I can do with a change, it needs to be coloured, too, as I've got about 3 inches of roots.

What I don't like is booking the cut... I always procrastinate doing it.

I enjoy most of it, but when they want you to put your head in the sink it is uncomfortable to lie on.

They never seem to colour it how I want, either.. it's more a hassle than anything.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 5:14 am

I hate going for my hair cut - I think its mainly the mirror that freaks me out. I like the clippers though. :D

I have long hair again anyway, dyed blue-black. Before that Mel usually buzzed me (for seven years anyway) so I got my hair how I wanted (blue mohawk, anyone?) One barber I went to as a kid insisted on blowdrying everything fluffy, even crew cuts.... people would be rubbing their hair back to how they liked it as soon as they got outside... :lol:

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

car_crash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2005, 7:39 am

me old ma does mine. ive never been to a barber

michael
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2005, 7:45 am

I'm exactly like you about haircuts, Pugly. I just got one last week, though I've "needed" one (according to my parents) for over a month now. The worst part for me is also the talking. I'd be perfectly fine with simply sitting there silently while someone cut my hair, but then they have to ask about what subject I like, the weather, the list of things they ask everyone there. If I could think of anything to reply with, I would, but the only question I can ever think of is "what do you do for a living", and I don't think that particular one would work all that well.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 7:46 am

I try to put off hair cuts as long as possible. I don't like people touching my head with their hands, let alone a sharp pair of scissors. So for the past five years, I've buzzed my hair off really short, let it grow back out for a few months and repeat.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 8:20 am

Pugly wrote:
The kicker is the almost manditory small talk... I never initiate it but sometimes they try asking quesitons... I give my answers and never persue the conversation further.

Ack yes I mean I did grow to quite like the touch of the scissors etc on my scalp but the small talk always gets me. Especially since I can't even understand most of what they say, because of the hair dryers in the background :roll:

magic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 10:04 am

Scoots5012 wrote:
So for the past five years, I've buzzed my hair off really short, let it grow back out for a few months and repeat.

That's the way to go! Practical and frugal. But, I have to admit, for last couple of years I was forced to ask the barber to leave longer hair on top of my head, so that it doesn't look "skinny". :)

Pugly wrote:
The kicker is the almost manditory small talk...

With my barber we've got it perfected. First we discuss my upcoming travel plans, or lack thereof. Then we talk about the weather in Texas and Europe, first current situation and then general trends. Our chat is always concluded by me envying elephants for not having to worry about the hair loss and spend money on barbers. :D

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 1:27 pm

I HATE haircuts. When my hair's getting washed by the stylist, it always feels like she's trying to rip it off my scalp even when she says she's trying not to hurt me. I always get nervous when the scissors get to close to my skin. And last time the stylist tryed to use something that looked like you could shave with it, and I wouldn't let her get it near my neck, so she finally just put it down.

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2005, 3:03 pm

I HATE HATE HATE having my hair cut.

I tend to go 18 months or more without a haircut, and then get around 6 inches cut off. Before my last haircut, it was so long it reached the waistband on my trousers! The smalltalk went OK as well, as I'd recently got married and had my honeymoon in Egypt, so I just raved about Egypt the whole time, probably bored her senseless, but at least I talked :oops:

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 3:28 pm

I hate haircuts too and would just grow it really long if it wasn't for that fact that my hair is so thick. I end up having my hair cut and thinned out every 6 months, once it looks too much worn down and I end up having to tie it back all the time (which I do usually anyway as I can't stand having it round my face, but sometimes its nice to be able to wear it down).
The thing I hate most about getting my hair cut is not knowing where to look- I hate looking in the mirror at myself for so long and I hate it when the hairdresser looks right at you in the mirror. I also hate the small talk as I never know what to say. I did try letting Dunc cut my hair once but he didn't do such a great job of it lol.

Mel

iamlucille
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 4:44 pm

i don't mind haircuts. i only get them like once every 6 months or so cuz i have long hair and i barely get split ends (no straightener, no hair dryer, NOTHING! except when im in shows and they need to curl it or something) so it's not bad. i'll admit i do suck a great deal @ the convo part, but i try to be friendly and it usually works despite the fact that i never know what to say. but that's okay, right?

ilster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2005, 5:13 pm

I ditto all of the above. Only difference being that I let the hairdresser do whatever they want. This can end in tears, but sometimes it gives their inner designer a bit of fun they don't usually get. Someone has to get some fun out of it. I go for the annual shearing, except when my bf finds my hair too out of control and drags me into a salon - urggghhh. Yes mirrors freak me out, small talk freaks me out, head massages freak me out, decisions freak me out.... The whole lot is best avoided for as long as possible. I like the comment about elephants - I might reserve that for my next pruning (not due for another 8 months)