Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Axelrod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2011, 3:34 pm

It's called "In Opposition to DSM-V" and it's on the Autism Speaks blog. If you just google the title in quotation marks, it should come up right away. It's very interesting.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Apr 2011, 3:59 pm

I find it factually incorrect and freighted with reinforcement of negative assumptions about autistic people.

Also, everyone I've mentioned I have AS to immediately says "That's a kind of autism, right?" or some variation. Where are these people who don't connect AS to autism because they have different names?

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:45 pm

Here's a link for the article: http://blog.autismspeaks.org/2010/09/04/itow-fjeldsted/

I do completely agree with the author of this article.

krill
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2011, 8:20 pm

While I agree with a few of her points my first reaction is, How convient for Autism Speaks when aspergers is a separate diagnosis from autism, and vice versa. When those annoying aspies challenge them, just say they don't have autism,they're not qualified to comment.

krill

17 Apr 2011, 8:20 pm

While I agree with a few of her points my first reaction is, How convient for Autism Speaks when aspergers is a separate diagnosis from autism, and vice versa. When those annoying aspies challenge them, just say they don't have autism,they're not qualified to comment.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Apr 2011, 8:27 pm

The majority of people diagnosed with AS also fit the criteria for autism. There is no "separate Asperger's spectrum."

Her reasons for not wanting to be called autistic are because she views autistic people in extremely negative ways, and doesn't want other people to think of her in those negative ways. I don't find this a convincing argument at all.

The change in the name doesn't take away the "aspie" identity. No one has to stop calling themselves "aspie" just because the DSM-V doesn't include the name any longer.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Apr 2011, 9:05 pm

Verdandi wrote:
The majority of people diagnosed with AS also fit the criteria for autism. There is no "separate Asperger's spectrum."

I agree with you on this.

Verdandi wrote:
Her reasons for not wanting to be called autistic are because she views autistic people in extremely negative ways, and doesn't want other people to think of her in those negative ways. I don't find this a convincing argument at all.

Again, I agree with you. I don't find it a convincing argument either.

Verdandi wrote:
The change in the name doesn't take away the "aspie" identity. No one has to stop calling themselves "aspie" just because the DSM-V doesn't include the name any longer.

Exactly---we can still call ourselves Aspies if we want to.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 9:36 pm

I saw it when it was first posted and commented on it then. I found it quite ill informed and offensive. I think she uses her diagnosis as an excuse to be obnoxious. (I also agree with everything Verdandi said.)

Last edited by Washi on 18 Apr 2011, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chamomile
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2011, 10:26 pm

I just don't like the ring of Asperger's. I don't know really know why, it just doesn't roll off the tongue for me. And when talking names, that's about all that matters to me.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 10:47 pm

Chamomile wrote:
I just don't like the ring of Asperger's. I don't know really know why, it just doesn't roll off the tongue for me. And when talking names, that's about all that matters to me.

I hate the way it tastes.

...yeah.

krill

17 Apr 2011, 10:49 pm

I also thought that she was too interested in trying to distance herself from 'those autistics', like it's alright to have one-dimensional stereotypes as long as they're not about me. The argument that made me think was the one that said, severe aspergers isn't mild. I thought, okay there is a point in that one. What are the holes in that? I'm asking seriously in the hope of seeing this from more angles.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:01 pm

How is "severe Asperger's" distinguished from an autistic person diagnosed with autism of a similar severity?

When you give the same thing two different names and then rank those labeled one way in a particular way and those labeled another way in a particular way, does the distinction really count for anything? How does "severe Asperger's" become a thing separate from autism when the person who is diagnosed with severe Asperger's is extremely likely to fit the criteria for autism as well?

krill

17 Apr 2011, 11:13 pm

Verdandi wrote:
How is "severe Asperger's" distinguished from an autistic person diagnosed with autism of a similar severity?

When you give the same thing two different names and then rank those labeled one way in a particular way and those labeled another way in a particular way, does the distinction really count for anything? How does "severe Asperger's" become a thing separate from autism when the person who is diagnosed with severe Asperger's is extremely likely to fit the criteria for autism as well?

That. I humbly changed my mind and agree. Thanks.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

17 Apr 2011, 11:21 pm

Quote:
First of all, many Aspies already suffer enough from the negative stigma and stereotypes society holds against them. To call Asperger’s “high-functioning autism” or “a form of autism” will only contribute to this stigma.

Quote:
Because it is a natural human tendency to stereotype groups of people, society tends to assume that all people with autism and Asperger’s are the same

So, if soceity already sees AS and autism as being on the same spectrum, what's wrong with the proposed changes to DSM-V?! :lol: This woman could still tell people she has AS, even if it isn't diagnosable in the future.

Axelrod
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Apr 2011, 5:23 pm

Quote:
"Her reasons for not wanting to be called autistic are because she views autistic people in extremely negative ways, and doesn't want other people to think of her in those negative ways. I don't find this a convincing argument at all."

Actually, I think that is a convincing argument because stereotypes have far-reaching consequences. She actually said in her article that if Aspies have the negative connotations applied to them from being called autistic, they could have opportunities, like employment, unfairly denied them. How is that NOT a legitimate concern? Besides she didn't say that she AGREED with the stereotypes society has for autistic people. She was just saying that those stereotypes did in fact exist and it is unfortunate that they do exist and that she doesn't want them extended to Aspies. To be honest, I think the people who find this article offensive are overreacting.

Last edited by Axelrod on 18 Apr 2011, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 5:33 pm

Axelrod wrote:
"Her reasons for not wanting to be called autistic are because she views autistic people in extremely negative ways, and doesn't want other people to think of her in those negative ways. I don't find this a convincing argument at all."

Actually, I think that is a convincing argument because stereotypes have far-reaching consequences. She actually said in her article that if Aspies have the negative connotations applied to them from being called autistic, they could have opportunities, like employment, unfairly denied them. How is that NOT a legitimate concern? Besides she didn't say that she AGREED with the stereotypes society has for autistic people. She was just saying that those stereotypes did in fact exist and it is unfortunate that they do exist and that she doesn't want them extended to Aspies.

I had opportunities like employment unfairly denied to me when I had no diagnosis because - as far as I can tell - I still displayed symptoms that interviewers interpreted as signs that I would make a poor employee. I don't understand how this argument is relevant. Also, a significant number of AS people have trouble finding work as adults, so there's already a problem here, but it's not specifically with the label.