Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Who do you think will win the Republican nomination?
Mitt Romney 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
Sarah Palin 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Newt Gingrich 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Herman Cain 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Ron Paul 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Donald Trump 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
Other 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 22

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 10:13 pm

Whoever Rush Limbaugh, who is the boss of the Republican Party, wants to win will win.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 10:27 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Trump, Romney, Palin, or Huckabee won't win the nomination. I don't even think Trump, Palin, or Huckabee will even run.

I think it is possible that Palin or Huckabee might exit because it is likely they would be better off financially in their current endeavors. And ironically, moreso if Obama wins. It is questionable if Huckabee can raise the kind of money needed for a successful campaign. Trump has the money to do whatever his ego desires, but the birther stuff makes one wonder if he is really serious.

If all three were to exit who could rise up to beat Romney, considering he was one of two that two out of three Republicans want to see run among the group at this point. I don't see Gingrich doing it.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 10:31 pm

aghogday wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Trump, Romney, Palin, or Huckabee won't win the nomination. I don't even think Trump, Palin, or Huckabee will even run.

I think it is possible that Palin or Huckabee might exit because it is likely they would be better off financially in their current endeavors.

True, bu i think a woman who quit her post as a governor to pursue a reality tv show has the kind of patriotism and leadership qualities that this country so desperately needs.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 10:42 pm

Orwell wrote:
Nixon gets a bad rap, but looking at his record, I have to say that he was a pretty good President. His worst crime was pulling some dirty tricks in a political campaign, and I'm inclined to pardon him for that. Just about every politician does the same.

Nixon did some good things in foreign policy, but he was just as bad as Johnson and Carter on the economy.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 10:44 pm

pandabear wrote:
There are some who want Elmer Fudd to win. He may actually be their best candidate.

Mitt Romney is Mormon. 'nuff said about that character.

Gun nut. Smarter than Sarah Palin. A more realistic choice than Donald Trump and not a mormon.

Go Fudd.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Apr 2011, 10:53 pm

aghogday wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I think it is possible that Palin or Huckabee might exit because it is likely they would be better off financially in their current endeavors. And ironically, moreso if Obama wins. It is questionable if Huckabee can raise the kind of money needed for a successful campaign. Trump has the money to do whatever his ego desires, but the birther stuff makes one wonder if he is really serious.

If all three were to exit who could rise up to beat Romney, considering he was one of two that two out of three Republicans want to see run among the group at this point. I don't see Gingrich doing it.

Well obvious I'm bias :wink: but the Tea Party and the real conservatives in the GOP will rally around a candidate to block Romney's candidacy. The field is set up perfectly, instead of the Tea Party splitting it's votes, it looks like the establishment and neocons are going to do just that. Romney couldn't even win last time against zombie-McCain and a complete unknown with no money at the time in Huckabee, can't see him winning now with Obamacare hanging over his head. There are def candidates we aren't talking about right now that will probably run.

I think the most important endorsements this cycle will be Jim DeMint Glenn Beck, and Sarah Palin. Rush has been pretty irrelevant for awhile, he "hated" McCain last time and what good did that do?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:15 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I think it is possible that Palin or Huckabee might exit because it is likely they would be better off financially in their current endeavors.

True, bu i think a woman who quit her post as a governor to pursue a reality tv show has the kind of patriotism and leadership qualities that this country so desperately needs.

There were political pressures involved in her resignation, and her spot on Fox News is part time, and the reality show was a one time seasonal gig. She seems to be pretty good with finances and energy policy, which would really come in handy. She also seems to soak up lots of information pretty quickly, so I would be curious how she puts it to use in a campaign.

I haven't decided on who I want to vote for in the '12 republican primaries I like Huckabee's temperament. I used to have a psychiatrist (who was black) that once made on off handed comment about being most impressed with Huckabee out of all the '08 candidates. He won't scare the arabs with his demeano but will most likely do whatever is needed to keep them in line. He isn't afraid of political correctness yet gives his opponents very little ammo against him, he's a Christian, he's a life member of the NRA (his joke about Obama at the 2008 NRA convention caused some outcry though), he supports tougher border security and immigration enforcement, he doesn't seem to have any strong convictions in his economic policies, but then again the partisan method isn't working very well and unlike Obama at least he's not trying to be an expert on things he's clueless about. Huckabee also came from a blue collar background and wasn't raised to be elitist later in life.

Romney is basically a moderate RINO. He's the least likely to have a polarizing effect on the election campaigns and the country, but he can be expected to flip-flop a lot.

Trump would be really good at economics and would have a command presence. He might not necessarily prove that polarizing if he got elected. Apart from supporting conservative economic policies, he doesn't have extreme views on social issues, though he does tend to favor gun rights and believe in border security.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:26 pm

John_Browning wrote:
There were political pressures involved in her resignation, and her spot on Fox News is part time, and the reality show was a one time seasonal gig. She seems to be pretty good with finances and energy policy, which would really come in handy. She also seems to soak up lots of information pretty quickly, so I would be curious how she puts it to use in a campaign.

I would be interested in seeing references to energy policies that she personally authored.

Not so sure about the finances. Like the jet she "put on ebay" that was ultimately sold months later off ebay, at a substantial loss.

Quote:
Romney is basically a moderate RINO. He's the least likely to have a polarizing effect on the election campaigns and the country, but he can be expected to flip-flop a lot.

Romney's only interest in the presidency is to one-up his father. I don't think he has any clue what he'd do with the office.

Quote:
Trump would be really good at economics and would have a command presence. He might not necessarily prove that polarizing if he got elected. Apart from supporting conservative economic policies, he doesn't have extreme views on social issues, though he does tend to favor gun rights and believe in border security.

Agreed - his birther shenanigans are just an act. He can't possibly be that stupid.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:27 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I read you post four times, before I realized you are not serious. If Trump and Huckabee choose not to run she could definitely stir the pot. She polls strongly in some states, for those that refuse not to support her. Beyond this, imagine a Trump/Palin or Palin/Trump ticket; boggles the mind but not entirely impossible if both were to stay in the race. Maybe Glenn Beck could be Secretary of State. Now it is starting to sound and/or look like a Batman movie. :?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:36 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
John_Browning wrote:

I would be interested in seeing references to energy policies that she personally authored.

Not so sure about the finances. Like the jet she "put on ebay" that was ultimately sold months later off ebay, at a substantial loss.

Quote:

Romney's only interest in the presidency is to one-up his father. I don't think he has any clue what he'd do with the office.

1) Palin never authored any literature on energy policy. She is just taking statistics from available data and using them to promote a plan for energy dependence that past presidents have not been willing to do.

2) Romney is most likely driven by a desire to fulfill one of Joseph Smith's prophecies about mormons taking the lead in government when the country is about to fall apart. Even if he wins the presidency, that would maybe boost Joseph Smith's accuracy to about 6 or 7%.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 11:55 pm

John_Browning wrote:
2) Romney is most likely driven by a desire to fulfill one of Joseph Smith's prophecies about mormons taking the lead in government when the country is about to fall apart. Even if he wins the presidency, that would maybe boost Joseph Smith's accuracy to about 6 or 7%.

He could have a hardon for the white horse prophecy, but honestly, who's to say it isn't Harry Reid?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 5:42 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
John_Browning wrote:

Of course it would be at a loss, the Jet was used, and you aren't taking into account the recurring costs of operating the jet. Short-term it would be a loss, longterm it will save money.

blauSamstag wrote:
Quote:

Again I don't trust him.

blauSamstag wrote:
Quote:

Agreed - his birther shenanigans are just an act. He can't possibly be that stupid.

I'm actually wondering if he found something of interest.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 5:49 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

I expect he'd plan to do the same thing he did here in Massachusetts: get or keep government at a reasonable size, and focus on doing the things the government needs to do, and not trying to do things the government has no business interfering with.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 6:21 pm

My friends in real life seem to want to vote for Ron Paul. I don't know though since I haven't researched them out as to who'd I'd vote for. As to who will win, it is by default the person with the most votes (at least in simplified form.) One of them will get the republican nomination though, and then its a matter of whether enough people are not going to vote for Obama yet again as to whether or not they win.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 6:24 pm

Whoever encompasses these two virtues:

1) Consistently mistakes raw force for strength, and the rawer the force, the more reverent the posture of the mind before it.

2) Supposes themselves to be the bringer of a final revelation.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 6:44 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Whoever encompasses these two virtues:

1) Consistently mistakes raw force for strength, and the rawer the force, the more reverent the posture of the mind before it.

2) Supposes themselves to be the bringer of a final revelation.

No, for me I want this:

1) stop inventing crap programs to spend into.

2) withdraw our armed forces from Libya.

3) stop printing funny money.

4) and Don't kill the space program.