Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sandrana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2011, 8:21 pm

I was diagnosed at the age of 37. Prior to this i had believed I was (in chronological order):

a crybaby
shy
smarter than other kids
sensitive
anti-social
misunderstood
depressed
a cranky stick-in-the-mud

now I know I'm just me, and it feels good :)

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 8:33 pm

I thought I was bipoloar or a schziophrenic some sort of crazy. I did not want top see a psychologist because I thought I would end up in a mental institution or forced to take mind numbing medication. I was not until I was 40 and laid off when I was watching a medical tv talk show where they were discussing the autism spectrum disorders. I was suprised when they described the traits for Aspergers it described me to a tee. It was a big relief to find out I am only strange and not batshit crazy.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 9:55 pm

JWS wrote:
By the way, littlelily613, Happy belated Birthday! You were born the same day and month as me, though not the same year! :wink:

Happy belated birthday to you too! I never met anyone else with my birthday before!--Thought I was unique out there. LOL :wink:

Zobo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2011, 2:20 am

My diagnosis of Autism came in just the last month, I am 22. My deficits and delays as a baby/child were actually not overlooked, just merely accepted and not researched. I am so thankful for all of the children who get detected early on now, but quite sad that in my case I wasn't, and the huge impact that had/has on my life today. From the start, my parents knew there was something seriously wrong with me, but in a innocent manner they decided to just 'love me as I was' and accepted the fact that I was not normal. They never looked into it like they should have and when I did see therapists, psychologists, and doctors, from age 2 and on, I think the problem was partly due to my lack of communication which they interpreted as being 'shy' and therefore could never agree on a specific diagnosis.

From my earliest memories at age 2 1/2, I felt as if I were in a different world than everybody else. I could see their bodies, and hear their voices in a distant sense, but I felt unable to reach them. And they unable to reach me. My eternal feelings of isolation and frustration come directly from knowing these people were there and not being able to communicate with them, although the desire to be 'included in life' didn't come until I was about 7 and started to talk. My teachers were not very nice nor very patient with me and I often got in trouble for things that were beyond my control. Such as being called 'stubborn' for not interacting with the other children, and being called 'defiant' when I could not use words or gestures to ask for what I wanted. My only real connection to the world was through my sense of touch, which I employed with my feet mainly.

The other diagnoses started at 2 with a Dx of RAD, when I was neither in a neglectful environment nor not attached to my parents. The rest of them came at random; Schizophrenia, Depression, General Anxiety, ADHD, OCD, PTSD w/psychosis, Bipolar, and a very strong suspicion of some sort of personality disorder, among others. So while I do have PTSD from a number of unrelated things, my final and true diagnosis is Autism. The amount of healing and self-love I have gained in just the past few weeks is enormous, just finally knowing why my life was the way it was and why I was the way I was. Everyone keeps telling me they are sorry for having missed it for so long, or in the case of my father feeling guilty, but I guess it is never too late to begin healing and working on my issues that are now known. I can't say I'm happy about being diagnosed so late, but I finally know the people in my life weren't ignoring me as I once thought, but instead they just didn't know which direction to go in.

Cezton
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2011, 2:32 am

I figured that I had 'aggressive' adult ADD, with general anxiety disorder. Despite medications for depression, ADD and anxiety, I've never felt right. My mind has developed into a new structure in the past two years. I was constantly nagging my conscience for a deeper meaning to what I described as ruminating insanity. I really did feel like I was going insane.

Changes that I made in life always brought me back to square one, in some way.

It's the social aspect that has done everything, that has affected everything. I'm so relieved to know, but find myself still asking questions.