Yes 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
No 43%  43%  [ 20 ]
It depends on who the people are 48%  48%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 46

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 5:59 am

When I was younger and living with my parents, I've always liked having company over. It may seem strange for an aspie to be like this, but I want you to hear me out. The reason that I enjoyed having company was because I felt that my relatives and my parents friends accepted me more than my own family members did. They accepted the quirks and idiosyncrasies that my parents and sister frowned down upon.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 6:05 am

it really depends for me, on who is coming over, how big the group will be and how i feel at the moment.

usually, i enjoy some company, and there are times even having a birthday party sounds like a good idea, but at other times, even having only the cat over for company is too much for me, so yeah...

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 6:08 am

I dislike company. It makes me feel like i am on display and people are judging everything. I especially hate uninvited visitors. I get very stressed when other people are in my space. The only person i don't mind so much (I can tollerate) is my ex-husband and also a flame.

If you get a warm welcome when you come to my house, I have a thing for you. :)

So I'm never in a rush

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 6:10 am

My house is my "cave" (as described by another poster in a previous thread) and I prefer not to have company that doesn't belong there. My husband usually belongs there and is welcome ;)

If I'm going to have the company of anyone else then I'd rather we had the company elsewhere like go out to a restaurant for lunch or to the cinema.

That said, I do have people to stay overnight on occasion but they/we'll usually be out during the day so I don't have to do the whole hosting thing for too long at a time. But it is stressful and I prefer not to.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 6:46 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
... I felt that my relatives and my parents friends accepted me more than my own family members did ...

Same here. My mother's side of the family tended to be the most accepting, and one of my father's friends actually ended up being a mentor for a while.

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2011, 7:49 am

It depends who it is and if they are expected.

I still live at home so most of the uninvited vistor are usually for my parents so I just disappear to my room.

All of our family live in different towns and city's so we never get unexpected calls from them. However when they do come over I don't mind that much.

I come from a very large extended family with lots of kids who's age range from 14 down to 2 and 1/2 and I usually spend my time with them as they, more than anyone, accept me as me. I also find kids very literally and much easier to talk to than adults, plus most of them share my special interest in the TV programme Dr Who which helps.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 7:53 am

Regardless of the good experiance I'm having, I will almost always enjoy it more alone.

Vladisvok
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2011, 11:03 am

YellowBanana wrote:
If I'm going to have the company of anyone else then I'd rather we had the company elsewhere like go out to a restaurant for lunch or to the cinema.

This sounds like me. I'd rather have company somewhere else, like going out somewhere (either a specific location or just "out" with them.)

Partly because where I live at the moment isn't the best place for having people round and partly because I am very nervous about people seeing what I'm like at home. Now that I think about it I can't remember the last time I properly had someone 'over'.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 11:10 am

It depends on who is coming over, what mood I am in and how long they are planning on staying lol.

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2011, 11:38 am

As long as I can retreat to my cave after a while, I have no problem having people over. Recently, one of my girlfriend's old friends stayed at our place for a week (and is actually still here). It has been quite a fun time, but I just can not keep up with the socializing after a while. Luckily, he brought his computer too, so we're perfectly fine ignoring one another. We shall get along fine.

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2011, 11:46 am

I always disliked having visitors, or indeed visiting anyone myself. Often I would get into trouble for accidentally being rude or disrespectful, so the whole thing was tense and stressful for me.

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2011, 12:31 pm

Jacs wrote:
It depends who it is and if they are expected.

This. I hate it when people, even family, drop by unexpectedly and expect me to invite them in and visit. My wife's family doesn't even bother knocking. It also helps if company is coming over for an understood purpose. I'm not good at visiting but I love it when my friends come over to play RPG's or Munchkin.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 12:51 pm

Conspicuous wrote:
... he brought his computer too, so we're perfectly fine ignoring one another. We shall get along fine.

Oh, to have more visitors like that, eh?!

I take my computer along whenever I go somewhere, but then I get criticized ...

Go figure!

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 5:48 pm

I like it. Unless they are actually people that I don't like. I voted "yes" between I don't think too many people would actually enjoy having people they don't like over. I generally prefer to go for dinner or coffee with people though.

I sometimes do take my computer places, but I'm usually showing someone something on it (like photos) so people don't mind too much.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 5:57 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
When I was younger and living with my parents, I've always liked having company over. It may seem strange for an aspie to be like this, but I want you to hear me out. The reason that I enjoyed having company was because I felt that my relatives and my parents friends accepted me more than my own family members did. They accepted the quirks and idiosyncrasies that my parents and sister frowned down upon.

I'm with you. It never bothered me either. What I always loved was when they bring their kids over because then I'd have someone to play with so I wouldn't have to play alone.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2011, 5:57 pm

I like it okay, because I see very few people and I like having someone around, but unless it's one of my few friends whom I know well, I need to have someone else there to carry on the conversation, or I will become very stressed out trying to keep up the conversation, thinking of things to say, or knowing how to react to what the other person has said. So., it's mostly okay, though it does stress me out some, but there has to be someone else there to do most of the talking.