Page 1 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

loftyD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2011, 5:24 am

Are most aspies Atheists or is that stereotypical cliché?

I am atheist, Antitheist actually :)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 5:32 am

loftyD wrote:
Are most aspies Atheists or is that stereotypical cliché?

I am atheist, Antitheist actually :)

An unsupported generalization.

I see no reason why Aspies should be inherently immune to the basic silliness of religious superstition.

ruveyn

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 5:41 am

I'm not religious, but I'm not an atheist.

You won't get many people here saying that though, I steer clear of discussions about everything even remotely related to something not explained by mere human science with atheists.

Speaking of that.. why am I in this forum? :oops:

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 5:47 am

A lot of the vocal aspies are atheist, not sure about the rest :?

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2011, 9:37 am

I am indecisive about whether there is any supreme being. If there is it will be easier to understand the origins of all matter/energy, yet what could have created dieties? If I followed any religion, I would be more interested in its ethics and symbolism and in being imaginative than in forcing myself to beleive in miracles. Is there any chance that one day I will be punished by a god for not being a nonbeleiver? Possibly, yet which faith is the correct one to adhere to when even divisions of the same one have squabbled for centuries and is there anything possible to avoid entirely?

I have no resent for theists or any unswerving members of a group as long as they see that freedom of and from religion/association are inextricable.

Last edited by petitesouris on 19 Apr 2011, 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 9:54 am

There better be more proof to my aspie mind than a bunch of stories -written by MEN- about a virgin giving birth and a talking snake in a garden-if it happened supposedly 5000 years ago why is there no incidents of virgin births and talking snakes now-freedom of religion is fine and necessary-freedom from religion if one so chooses if fine too. In my opinion religion has instilled fear in people from living up to their potential by sayinig if you do this or that you are a sinner and will go to hell-religion has a habit of being used by certain people to influence control over other people and that is whats sad-not being able to advance as far in technology and scientific fields because people want to use a book to keep us all living in the dark ages by hating ourselves for being human and to live our lives by denying ourselves happiness-somewhere the messages set down in the holy books of all religions and the teachings there in got distorted and corrupted by MEN.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 10:19 am

I'm a born again and I'm a proud Christian and I'm actually more stronger about it now than I have ever been in the past before.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 10:40 am

I'm not an atheist. But I don't know what I am. I wasn't raised in any religion, but I have been a seeker for the last 20 years. I feel no need to criticise others for their religious beliefs, or lack of beliefs. We are all on a journey.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 10:59 am

My beliefs fall into the category of Pantheism, I believe in God but I view us as apart of God - connected and not separate.

Last edited by Raymond_Fawkes on 19 Apr 2011, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:03 am

^ I consider myself a "seeker" too, mostly because no other label seems to fit.

I like to discuss religion, but most religious people are defensive to the point of aggressive.
They seem to equate asking questions with hating them or making fun of them.
Or they think I'm trying to change their minds, which I have no interest in doing. I just want to know why they think/believe what they do.
I don't care if you believe god is a bunny who lives in your arse, I just want to know why you think that and what else you believe about the bunny. And if you say the bunny is kind and slaughters people, I expect you to be able to reconcile those two qualities without calling me a punk.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:15 am

YippySkippy wrote:

I like to discuss religion, but most religious people are defensive to the point of aggressive.
Or they think I'm trying to change their minds, which I have no interest in doing. I just want to know why they think/believe what they do.
I don't care if you believe god is a bunny who lives in your arse, I just want to know why you think that and what else you believe about the bunny. And if you say the bunny is kind and slaughters people, I expect you to be able to reconcile those two qualities without calling me a punk.

I find it difficult to discuss religion/politics with people in general. I'll listen though to what people have to say ,but I agree the only person who can change yourself is you. Some people may not understand atoms and particles and the universe as a whole, while others might not understand the religious philosophy they've been so a keened to either. People shouldn't close themselves off from learning but unfortunately some do.. It is what it is, but I've encountered mostly educated people on this forum thankfully who aren't really that aggressive and are respectful of other peoples views.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:23 am

YippySkippy wrote:

There's ways of doing it though. You can ask questions. But if you judge or accuse then people will immediately become defensive.

Comments such as

"A celebration of a night in which a deity killed many babies and children due to their ethnicity. But they weren't your peoples' babies, so Happy Passover!"

will obviously put people's backs up. You are obviously attacking their festival, in a thread where they are celebrating their festival.

Bear in mind too that some religions have been attacked more than others, and therefore the followers of that religion will be more defensive.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:27 am

I have a sarcastic sense of humor. It is what it is, and it doesn't justify name calling.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:36 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I have a sarcastic sense of humor. It is what it is, and it doesn't justify name calling.

That was meant to be humourous??

Look, I'm all for free speech. But just expect to get it back.

If you were sitting in a room with 10 Jewish people, all strangers to you, and all wishing each other Happy Passover and you said what you said in that thread, then surely you would expect them to have a variety of reactions, none of them positive. They'd either ignore you, be upset, be angry, or punch you.

If you were sitting in a room with 10 Muslims and said something similar about one of their festivals, or 10 Christians, or 10 Heathens, or 10 Americans, or 10 Australians, whatever, you'd get a negative reaction to a statement like that.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:43 am

The difference being that this is an internet forum for religious (& political & philisophical) discussion.
I certainly would NOT walk into anyone's place of worship and speak similarly, but this is not that.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:52 am

Henbane wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

There's ways of doing it though. You can ask questions. But if you judge or accuse then people will immediately become defensive.

Comments such as

"A celebration of a night in which a deity killed many babies and children due to their ethnicity. But they weren't your peoples' babies, so Happy Passover!"

will obviously put people's backs up. You are obviously attacking their festival, in a thread where they are celebrating their festival.

Bear in mind too that some religions have been attacked more than others, and therefore the followers of that religion will be more defensive.

It's a "happy passover" thread in a forum that discusses and debates RELIGION among other things. Beware that anything that gets posted is subject to attacks.

The example you gave here, "A celebration of a night..." IS pointing out a basic fact behind the origin of the Passover celebration. It happened. And not just babies, but the firstborn of every household. That's a lot of people. Pharaoh had been given warning time and time again, he remained stubborn, and God allowed Pharaoh to strengthen his resolve. Why didn't Pharaoh try to seek an escape from the plague of death? I dunno. Maybe he was too afraid of what would happen if he subjected himself to a God the Egyptians didn't worship--keep in mind that the Pharaoh was regarded as a deity in Egypt at that time. Pharaoh made his choice, and thus the death of the firstborn is on Pharaoh's head. This is one of many struggles the Israelites faced and not the last time people would lose their lives for the sake of God's protection of His covenant people. Set against the backdrop of ancient culture, MANY actions we see today as horrible were actually justified when you look at them in context. Responding to statements like these appropriately opens up a broader topic for discussion, and a proper response has the potential to defuse a lot of the malevolent spirit behind such disparaging remarks.

Posts like what you mentioned are intended to upset and infuriate, yet if you examine those words, there is nothing in those words that are untrue. But the wording also reflects the negative bias of someone towards to subject matter. We are allowed in PPR to make such statements, even if those statements are deliberately unkind.

Just don't make the mistake of giving an emotional response to it. If you are RIGHT, then the strength of what you believe will prevail on its own. Often times the emotion that drives such negative bias breaks down into irrational drivel. You know when that happens because you'll see personal attacks right along with poor logic. Expose the illogical responses, gently correct, and see what happens. Someone persists with name calling, then you were never in a serious discussion in the first place. You have won the argument. Move right along.