Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 10:26 pm

Event.

I am going to attend this tomorrow - open doors but I'm confident I'll get in. I am looking forward to it. Any ideas or suggestions? I will make a commentary here afterwards.

But they do not have me

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Apr 2011, 10:48 pm

I'm speaking at a conference with temple in October. She's great!

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 10:48 pm

I just found out about that today. I'm bummed because there's no way I can make it. Oh well. Let us know how it goes of you get in.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 9:56 pm

Ok, I made it. Had to wait outside for about an hour, with a line. Wasn't too bad. There were protesters - people who claim that Temple is bad because she advocates the killing of livestock. I'd like to send these chuckleheads to some primitive tribal culture and watch them try to convince those folks not to eat meat. Anyway, seating was limited (though I have never encountered a venue with infinite seating) partially due to a large contingent of researchers, who eventually showed up. Another hour went by, and things finally got going.

The guy that was up first announced, among other things, that Temple would sign people's books afterwards. Thank you SO MUCH for (not) telling me before. I also should've taken my camera, but no such luck. Luckily, at the end, there was also a book sale, so that worked out fine.

Temple Began by saying (quickly, and without pause, as I had been told to expect) what she would be discussing. She went quickly through a variety of subjects, from church steeples, memories from her childhood, AS neurology, to Irlen lenses and other programs. One of her main points was that many AS kids are being coddled instead of being out in the world learning. I have to say that's the main reason I can live as well as I can. That said, It made me realize that I have been leaning on my diagnoses of late instead of trying to improve myself.

Most of the audience commentary came from concerned parents, but one was the principle of Summit schools, a local (?) special ed school and resource - one which I have been using as part of my job search. She asked for advice in dealing with kids on the spectrum, and Temple told her the question was too general. :roll:

Overall, it was fun to attend. I've gone from reading about Temple, to seeing a movie about her life, to standing next to her, albeit briefly.

But they do not have me

YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 10:31 pm

Hi, I'm one of those people who thinks that she's evil. Evil or just stupid, not sure which.

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 11:14 pm

YourMother wrote:
Hi, I'm one of those people who thinks that she's evil. Evil or just stupid, not sure which.

Don't suppose you could elaborate on that?

But they do not have me

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Apr 2011, 11:51 pm

Well I had no idea I had autism untill I say Temple speaking on the tv about her experinces with it...I told my mom and she said, I know, you were diagnosed when you were 8 years old but I did not want you to label yourself so I did not tell you" :roll:

But it was seeing her on tv that lead to my journey of self acceptance....so to me she is awesome.

I am glad you got to see her....I hope I get to some day too.

I hate it she has these peta groups following her everywhere. I dont think her work is awful she works to help farmers find more humane ways to raise and slaughter livestock. Out of what I seen in a documentrary called "food" that is much needed where most farmers put all the cows in this big machine that crushes them to death.

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2011, 3:37 am

I didn't know that a child with autism can improve and have an independent life until a friend showed me her books. It was a month after my son was diagnosed and I was desperate. She succeeded to spread the knowledge about autism and to tell parents that early intervention is vital. She received early intervention from age 2.5 and she was lucky, considering the condition of her peers, that often were institutionalized.

rissadc
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2011, 3:42 am

I love Temple. She's my hero! One of these days, I'd like to meet her :D

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 8:17 am

rissadc wrote:
I love Temple. She's my hero! One of these days, I'd like to meet her :D

I couldn't agree more. Nobody's perfect, but she seems like a good person.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

21 Apr 2011, 9:07 am

alex wrote:
I'm speaking at a conference with temple in October. She's great!

that is so cool 8) ...where is it going to be so maybe I can go???