Do any new industrial artists live up to Trent Reznor?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

a1kemi
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2006, 5:58 am

I mainly like Nine Inch Nails rather than the whole industrial scene. Trent Reznor's music is unbeatable but he's getting on in age and wants to stick to producing :( That's fair enough, he needs a break. If I could pick just one famous person to be immortal it would be a close call between Reznor and Angelina Jolie. Music is just one of the various reasons I wish I were born in the late 70's. IT is another reason. I think both have gone off track a bit, not that I'm qualified to judge.

But we can't go back in time and immortal celebrities wont happen or even help if they did exist. I know there have been plenty of posts asking about industrial music and even NIN but is there anyone here that loves NIN and knows of a similar but newer artist that even comes close? There probably aren't because style moves on. I suppose what I'm getting at is the hallmark mentality of NIN that is dark, depressed but some how beautifull yet definitely not goth or emo. Does this continue on in any subculture in any way whatsoever, even besides music? The Clash were good and also Ministry and the like but they're way further gone than NIN. I feel like either I'm missing out on something out there or that it's already dying.

Does anyone feel the same or know something that I don't?

EDIT: I may be wrong about Ministry being further gone but I'm sure you get the idea.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2006, 4:24 pm

Well, I dunno. I personally consider a lot of Industrial bands to be as good as or better than NIN (such as Kidneythieves, Orgy, or Celldweller) but then that's because, while I love half of NIN's songs, I hate the other half. They all have somewhat different sounds though.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2006, 9:51 pm

Nine Inch Nails is interesting. Some of the songs I think are great, some I don't. But I can't deny that most of the songs are very inspired.

It kind of crosses many genres, but http://www.doctorsteel.com is fairly industrial.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2006, 4:47 am

I had a phase where I liked NIN. The Downward Spiral I thought was a good album and their first album Pretty Hate Machine. There ok, but I'm over that phase and am not interested in them anymore. Sorry if I'm upsetting any of you NIN fans.

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2006, 11:11 pm

The glory days of Skinny Puppy and Front Line Assembly were cool, but industrial has long since lost its edge. Most industrial groups have either devolved into radio-friendly alternarock or gotten stuck in the EBM rut, and stillborn "pop industrial" acts aren't really helping matters (not gonna mention any names here) and some of the best remaining industrial groups can't even really be called industrial anymore. Meanwhile, plenty of jaded rivetheads are getting tired of cookie-cutter beats and moving on to neofolk for their dark post-apocalyptic atmospheric fix.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2006, 5:04 pm

Not sure if Trent's music is a auto-bio account of his life but wow some of it is so raw and powerful and full of rage and anger mixed with dispair. It's very brutal realist And yes some of it even points out the flaws in most churchs that's the stuff that keeps it off the airwaves and the raw brooding nature and some of the words. And there many be others like him out there who knows ?

Aeturnus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2006, 11:54 am

Nine Inch Nails used to be good, when they were an industrial band. I don't consider their new album industrial. In fact, it is widely more radio friendly. They are played on most corporate alternative radio stations, for example.

I thought Ministry was going in the same direction, too, with their previous couple of albums. Their latest, album Rio Grande Blood, though harkens back to their early 90s days. Though even with their previous albums, Ministry has always had the industrial edge, but have changed their sound quite often. They used to be some sort of pop-industrial band way back in the day.

KMFDM is far better than Nine Inch Nails. It's too bad Genesis P Orridge is no longer doing this sort of thing ...

- Ray M -