Kansans vote: Teach evolution or intelligent design or both

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 6:06 pm

tdbrown82 wrote:
I think we were stupidly designed by an intelligent, yet drunk, being.

I realize you're just making a joke here, but that is perhaps the most likely version of ID I've ever heard!!

lae
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 12:45 am

I bet other countries laugh at us about "intelligent " design.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2006, 2:35 am

Scrapheap wrote:
tdbrown82 wrote:
I think we were stupidly designed by an intelligent, yet drunk, being.

I realize you're just making a joke here, but that is perhaps the most likely version of ID I've ever heard!!

If there was ever a God, then I'd concur. The Old Testament must've been during God's Hangover, hahahaha.

On sabbatical...

Foible
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2006, 7:37 pm

Teaching religion in public schools is just stepping over way too many lines for my tastes. And teaching that "God made the world" even paraphrased as Intelligent Design - that's religion and belongs in church, not school.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 8:38 pm

Intelligent Design Theory is neither intelligent, nor is it a true theory. It is willfully ignorant (well, there goes the intelligent part) and is as closely related to a truly scientific theory as Mein Kampf is to the Talmud.

As for the whole 'God made us flawed" argument, I think Epicurus said it best.

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?"
And the answer is: Because there is no God.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2006, 9:13 pm

You don't have to believe in evolution to be a scientist. Nonetheless, if this debate over intelligent design may be meaningless in itself, but if it causes students to not learn science as well, then the goal is not a worthy one.

The various species are grouped according to similarity in appearance and genetics, for the most part, and how they got in that order is irrelevant if you are simply trying to identify them.

Correct me if I am wrong, but unlike Einstein's theory of general relativity, you cannot make predictions with the theory of evolution, because evolution is inherently random. Cosmic rays are rarely selective about what mutations they cause.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 12:10 am

diseased wrote:
As for the whole 'God made us flawed" argument, I think Epicurus said it best.

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?"
And the answer is: Because there is no God.

OR there is no evil. Everything is exactly as it should be. What is called to be evil serves some purpose.

The argument kind of depends on evil existing, which it might not.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 1:50 am

good point

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 2:26 am

Xuincherguixe wrote:

OR there is no evil. Everything is exactly as it should be. What is called to be evil serves some purpose.

The argument kind of depends on evil existing, which it might not.

Just possible, yes.

The Panglossian:
“All is for the best in this, the best of all possible worlds”

Or the Hindu: "Ultimately there is no difference between cruelty and non-cruelty."

It doesn't come easily, in a world with parasite wasps and sacculina and the male prostate gland.

But before condemning Intelligent Design , one might consider the view held by a number, as expounded here:
"In Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle for example, the prophet Bokonon argues that all religion is composed of lies, but that humans need lies in order to mitigate the misery of existence."

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

28 Sep 2006, 9:08 am

Why don't we just put the entire school curriculum on a ballot for public vote? Let the masses determine what is taught in public schools and what isn't. That is how absurd this is.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2006, 6:58 pm

Tekneek wrote:
Why don't we just put the entire school curriculum on a ballot for public vote? Let the masses determine what is taught in public schools and what isn't. That is how absurd this is.

Eye thik dis is goood Eye vant two tech mi veews on speling :lol: