I feel like peoples words bounce off my head..normal?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Apr 2011, 8:07 pm

I have this problem to varying degrees. The longer I'm in a social situation the more likely it is that my ability to process that situation is going down the tubes. Also, certain kinds of verbal communication are harder for me than others (like instructions, or over the phone).

eatingcereal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2011, 9:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
eatingcereal wrote:
Is this an aspergian trait? During a conversation, I never feel like I grasp what someone is saying to me. It's like the gist of it bounces off my head and never gets absorbed into my brain, where it can get processed. Then I end up saying something that sounds as if I'm not paying attention, like "oh really?" (I use that one a lot), or other short answers (e.g. "thats cool" "alright"). In actuality I'm trying as hard as I can to hear the person out and then respond. Also, this makes it hard to talk to people I work with because I never remember what they said to me last time we talked.

Do you have cognitive problems? Are you having trouble with the spoken word? The written word? Do you organize your thoughts logically? Are you having attention or focusing difficulties?

ruveyn

Cognitive problems? Can you be more specific? Yes, I have trouble verbally expressing myself in an organized way, mostly when there are a lot of people around or in a noisy area with more than one thing going on. I'm a great writer, but I do have trouble organizing what I want to say to a certain extent. But I think that's more because I'm a perfectionist. And man I have horrible attention/focus difficulties. No matter what I'm doing, whether it's in the classroom or reading a book, my mind will wander off topic and I don't realize it until like ten minutes later when I catch myself "zoning out". It's really annoying because I can't even stay focused during a conversation.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2011, 11:01 pm

^^^ this... me too.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2011, 11:36 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I was watching TV with my dad some years ago, and he had the closed captioning on (due to his hearing loss). I was surprised how much easier it was to follow the show, so I started using it myself. It's been surprising to see how much dialogue I actually miss (and missed without being aware of it).

I've been using closed captions for years. Pretty convenient invention.

eatingcereal

22 Apr 2011, 11:40 pm

Ellytoad wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I was watching TV with my dad some years ago, and he had the closed captioning on (due to his hearing loss). I was surprised how much easier it was to follow the show, so I started using it myself. It's been surprising to see how much dialogue I actually miss (and missed without being aware of it).

I've been using closed captions for years. Pretty convenient invention.

I knew I wasn't crazy for using this.