Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2005, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Bec, hello. I just wanted to post this to tell you that I was not lashing out at you or anything. I love your posts. My passionate side is just a little rough around the edges and sometimes I just appear to be mad when really I am just trying to show how strongly I feel about some things.

Thanks, monastic. I just wanted to make sure that all of you aren't mad at me. But I know what you mean about sometimes getting a little to passionate. I have the exact same problem, I can come across a little harsh sometimes. I tend to be a very opinionated person.

stevie_hardy, don't worry they probably got all their anger out on me! :lol: (JOKING!)

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2005, 7:02 pm

As far as I'm concerned, all people with strong and controversial opinions should be shot!

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2005, 7:03 pm

....errrrmmm - that was a joke by the way..... just making sure....

Glenn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2005, 11:17 pm

stevie_hardy wrote:
Sorry, but I'm going to have to be controversial here..... I personally find tattoos of all kinds ugly, repellant and disfiguring (holds breath and awaits backlash..... :wink: )

:)

Well, I for one wont create any backlash. I love discussing all sorts of subjects: its fun, and more so when t here are lots of different ideas. Why on earth should I worry because someone else disagrees with my views?

One thing though : I dont think you should necessarily equate having tattoos with "fashion". Me, I had my tattoo because it is a sort of statement about something that is emotionally important to me. It was not done just for decoration. When I look at it I feel happy and I dont really care what other people think, although naturally I am pleased if they like it! It has become part of me. I also don't give a hoot for "fashion" ....why should I let someone else, in Paris or London, wherever, dictate what i should wear? Why should I change my wardrobe every year because other people somehow think it is admirable to be up-to-date? Thats their choice. I wear whatever I like (mostly because it is comfortable and practical) and I probably look worse than a "burst mattress" :-) but in my opinion, because a person doesnt follow fashions does not mean she (or he) is somehow a lessser person than one who does. Everyone is free to choose what is important in their lives, and what is not.

'All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night .... wake in the day to find that it was vanity:but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible' (T.E.Lawrence)

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2005, 10:51 am

vetivert wrote:
Archmage wrote:
Maybe i can get a Triforce on the back of my hand, like Link!

careful, archmage - hands and feet can be dodgy places to have tattooed. the skin is thinest there, and so there's more chance of infection and septicaemia. not trying to put you off, just making sure you know what's what.

and, by the way, any reputable tattooist will spend time explaining anything you want about tats, and the best ones will do any design you care to choose, and will sdvise you on its suitability, etc.

I know, i was just joking. There ain't no way i'm gonna be respected when i've got a Triforce on my hand. People would think i'm obsessed (which i am, but not that much.)

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2005, 10:53 am

stevie_hardy wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, all people with strong and controversial opinions should be shot!

Ack! A @$#^# Communist! Where's my shotgun?

Just joking!

Archmage

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2005, 1:47 pm

Glenn wrote:
.....I dont think you should necessarily equate having tattoos with "fashion". Me, I had my tattoo because it is a sort of statement about something that is emotionally important to me......

Fair enough, I'll let you off the hook :) - I just get really annoyed by the whole lemming "me too" fashion thing, of which tattoos are obviously an integral part of at the moment. Unfortunately, I have a lot of very strong opinions (of which fashion is one) and I tend to veer off into them at every opportunity. :oops:

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2005, 4:19 pm

I don't think having a tattoo is necessarily a fashion statement- I know when I get mine it won't be in a highly visable place and its is something that will be very personal to me.

I have a weird style of dress and I don't care what the latest fashion mags tell us we should be wearing.

nina
Raven
Raven

17 Sep 2005, 10:23 pm

:?

Last edited by nina on 21 Sep 2005, 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2005, 5:42 am

I became obsessed by tattoos when I was about 15 (right age for it!). I would buy tattoo magazines, draw designs for tattoos, read books in the and bookshops about the history of tattooing. I think it may have been something of a perseveration..!

I have 9 1/2 tattoos now. I got my first when I was 17 3/4 - a design based on the infinity symbol, with two lizards chasing each other's tails around in the horizontal figure of 8. It was my own design.

I also have a black genderqueer symbol on my right wrist, a small purple dragon over my right kidney, a labrys inside my right forearm, a spirally thing (my own design) on my left shoulder, a black abstract sunburst / compass points / difficult to describe inside my left wrist, a libra symbol outside my left ankle, Hothead Paisan (homicidal lesbian terrorist) on the outside of my right leg, and a black hand print (much smaller than adult sized hand) on the inside of my right leg.

I would like a schematic strand of DNA spiralling up the back of my leg, and Escher's snorting dragon somewhere on my body, as well as a couple of Escher's tesellating butterflies.

I found the act of being tattooed highly addictive - I love the sensation, and the way my body drifts off on an endorphine high.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2005, 9:11 am

I had a kid do a cross on my arm when I was 13. I've frequently thought about getting it covered up with something else, but the problem that I've always run into is I could never decide on what I wanted.

Knasher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2005, 5:53 pm

I have no tattoo myself and to be honest I don't think I ever will.
I do respect people who have tattoo that mean something deeply personal to them. On the other hand I think tattoo for fashion is a bad idea, a really really bad idea. The way I see it is, think back of the clothes you were wearing 10 or 20 years ago, now would you be caught dead wearing those clothes today? Well if not the same can be said for tattoo, in 10 years chances are you will be going to great lenghts to hide the tattoo that you have on the small of you back, or whever else.
So unless I can think up of somthing profoundly personal that I want to say badly enough to get it writen on my skin for ever I don't think Ill be getting one.
Course I could be wrong, in 10 years they should have a better way of removing tattoos and Ill be the fool for never getting one when they were in fashion.