Schizotypy / Autism spectrum and female attraction

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

24 Apr 2011, 12:26 am

So, you know the typical things that females are attracted to, right?

Things like money, power, social status, social visibility and the like. You see it in everyday life and you even see it on the forums -- moderators typically get hit on far more often than other posters. :lol:

What about personality traits? What about the traits that are outside of your control? Like...especially... the way you think?

In this regard, there was some interesting research on this and it was found guys with schizotypy traits were considered far more generally attractive than those with autistic like traits (Schizotypy traits generally aligns itself with creativity and humor.), if you imagine there being an axis with schizotypy on one side and autism on the other side. This is exemplified by the research where poets/musicians/artistics have twice as many sexual partners as the average person. Since we ALL know that the average person has twice as many sexual partners as those in stereotypical autistic professions, like mathematicians/techies/geeks, we can probably infer that the average poet has four times as many sexual partners than the average math geek. And, as an established math geek and tech head, I can assure you that is the case. :lol:

Anyone else have any interesting research on personality traits their associations with proxies for attractiveness, like the number of sexual partners (Or the number of fellow forum posters hitting on you, lol.)?

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 1:47 am

Well its been a known fact for some time that of those young adults who are single and sexually active, (I don't recall which ratio exactly) somewhere between 20-40% of Single males sleep with 60-80% of single women. This means... that ~20-40% of single men have things that most single females are attracted to, but are in very short supply so they sleep with a larger pool of women as a result (numbers-wise).

Even average non-aspie guys have trouble sleeping around, which is less so a challenge for women because the number of men who will turn down the majority of women out there is small, and even then, you don't have to look far to get some action. Women aren't that hard to pick up but tend to complicate things by reading into an interaction too much.

I think the majority of women are attracted to someone who knows and is confident in who they are(in that can you handle tense situations without breaking down), can make them laugh, and has a passion about something and pursues it (not at the expense of the relationship though...). Someone who is responsible comes off as very masculine, someone who has great bantering or story telling skills is someone you want to explore and experience life with, and someone who has a life beyond her, and has lots of male friends is someone who seems stable. All of these things are in the control of the majority of the people out there, it just takes practice and work (or play, depending on your outlook), and makes a very well rounded person.

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2011, 2:05 am

Where did you find this article? Being an aspie schizo i can say ive probablly had as much experience as most people with girls (although before i was 19 I was very unsuccessful) Ive been in my current relationship for about 3 years now. Also I make music on a computer for a profession.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 2:08 am

swbluto wrote:

Things like money, power, social status, social visibility and the like.

You mean that humans in general are attracted to.

swbluto wrote:
You see it in everyday life and you even see it on the forums -- moderators typically get hit on far more often than other posters. :lol:

I've never seen anyone get hit on here.

swbluto wrote:
What about personality traits? What about the traits that are outside of your control? Like...especially... the way you think?

In this regard, there was some interesting research on this and it was found guys with schizotypy traits were considered far more generally attractive than those with autistic like traits (Schizotypy traits generally aligns itself with creativity and humor.), if you imagine there being an axis with schizotypy on one side and autism on the other side. This is exemplified by the research where poets/musicians/artistics have twice as many sexual partners as the average person. Since we ALL know that the average person has twice as many sexual partners as those in stereotypical autistic professions, like mathematicians/techies/geeks, we can probably infer that the average poet has four times as many sexual partners than the average math geek. And, as an established math geek and tech head, I can assure you that is the case. :lol:

I'd like to see the sources of your data. While those with schizophrenia may have a tendency to have an artistic streak, most schizophrenics I've known were not in a relationship and not capable of having one. People with schizoid personality disorder tend to not have close personal relationships and generally wish to be left alone.

I think it's a misconception that those in science and technology have fewer partners than those in the arts (if this is even the case, which I doubt it is), due to women not being attracted to them. If they have a fairly quiet social life it's usually due to the fact that they tend to have to work a lot. They also tend to be more conservative than say a contemporary musician might be. Most of them do tend to eventually get married.

[

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

24 Apr 2011, 2:39 am

Chronos wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Things like money, power, social status, social visibility and the like.

You mean that humans in general are attracted to.

Females are one particular subset of humans of interest. :P

Quote:
swbluto wrote:
You see it in everyday life and you even see it on the forums -- moderators typically get hit on far more often than other posters. :lol:

I've never seen anyone get hit on here.

*kindly suggests a hit-o-dar tuneup.*

Quote:
swbluto wrote:

I'd like to see the sources of your data. While those with schizophrenia may have a tendency to have an artistic streak, most schizophrenics I've known were not in a relationship and not capable of having one. People with schizoid personality disorder tend to not have close personal relationships and generally wish to be left alone.

I think it's a misconception that those in science and technology have fewer partners than those in the arts (if this is even the case, which I doubt it is), due to women not being attracted to them. If they have a fairly quiet social life it's usually due to the fact that they tend to have to work a lot. They also tend to be more conservative than say a contemporary musician might be. Most of them do tend to eventually get married.

http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/daniel.nettl ... gs%20b.pdf

Notice I said "schizotypy" traits and not necessarily schizophrenia -- this includes things like impulsive non-conformity, unusual experiences and other correlates of creativity. Obviously, severely negatively affected(That is, the "negative symptoms" of schizophrenia) schizophrenics have a pretty low reproductive fitness and ability to attract partners.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2011, 2:46 am

carltcwc wrote:
Where did you find this article? Being an aspie schizo i can say ive probablly had as much experience as most people with girls (although before i was 19 I was very unsuccessful) Ive been in my current relationship for about 3 years now. Also I make music on a computer for a profession.

You exhibit many schizotypy traits, which supports the article's findings.

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2011, 10:22 am

what exactly sets the boundries between schizotypy and schizophrenia/schizoafffective? and whats the difference between schizotypy and schizotypal personality disorder? the schizo spectrum seems too vague to be able to clearly diagnose people. Ive gotten diagnosed all over the spectrum by various doctors. I dont hear voices too often and when I do their muffled, brief and dont bother me. I hallucinate my phone ringing and other sound effects more often and have visual illusions. I also get various episodes, most which last about a day. I have the negative symptoms as well. I think negative symptoms seem to be due to a lack of energy, emotion, and general forgetfullness to do basic things. Although sometimes i get a bunch of stuff done, ill also at times go months doing hardly anything constructive even though im thinking the whole time "i should do something constructive". In a way im kind of lazy but its because i cant think at times. Overall im motivated so its not true lazyness but i do things like pace the hallway an hour a day while i could be doing something better. I dont know which of these symptoms are due to the schizo dx and which are due to the aspergers dx however. they both seem to have negative symptoms but aspies are generally seem to be more emotional. I can see where schizo traits lead to creativeity but i think most psych diagnoses lead to creativity in some area. for me its like im dreaming but im awake and it makes more sence in a linear time line than a dream makes sence because dreams are random and chaotic and here i have to do something to get results.