Has anyone seen Sleepaway Camp movies about a trans killer

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2011, 6:49 am

I came across a review for these 80s horror films called sleepaway camp in which a trans girl is a killer. I am thinking of getting them but I want to know are they cool or do they demonise the trans character. I especially like horror movies where the main killer is a sympathetic cool character who is taking revenge for bullying or some such, and you root for them. If its like that and she is the hero i will get them.

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2011, 10:43 am

i found more info

"Angela's different from the other kids at camp. She gets taunted a lot for being so timid, but somehow, horrible things befall these cruel souls who taunt poor Angela...

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Apr 2011, 2:12 am

I saw a series of reviews of films like this on a blog last year, but I can't seem to find that post again.

What I recall reading is that she's not sympathetic in any of the movies, and presented really badly in the first.

Sholf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Apr 2011, 4:36 pm

That reminds me of Nergal Jr. from the "winter camp" episode of Bill & Mandy.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2011, 11:40 am

I saw the first one, having known nothing about it previously... I thought it was good, though you don't know about her being trans until the very end, and it seems to be played for shock value more than anything else. the big reveal on Angela's sexuality is the huge climax, rather than discovering her motives behind the murders - i wonder why the writers thought being trans was such a big deal? could it have something to do with the '80s being a different time? i can safely say that I wasn't expecting it though.

i remember feeling a bit confused, because you don't really get to understand her character as much as you'd like to - it's all presented very matter-of-factly. If you want a similar movie with more development I'd recommend Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - awesome music, fashion, and a surprising plot twist that turns it into a similarly themed horror film.

Enjoy, though!