Canadian Conservative Majority (3 time's a charm!)

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What is your opinion on the Harper Majority?
Good? 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Bad? 64%  64%  [ 9 ]
Indifferent? 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 6:19 pm

Tequila wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Is that what I said?

The term 'far-right' in Britain and Europe refers to fascist, racist, ethnic/racial nationalist and anti-immigrant (not anti-immigration per se) parties.

I was thinking more in terms of the way Harper is pushing our country in little barely noticeable increments to be more and more like the US. I haven't read too much into his immigration policies as I don't really care all that much at this point. I've got bigger fish to fry here in Quebec, but maybe things will change for us here with the Bloc's ouster. I don't hear too much anti-immigration rhetoric around here, more like 'get the f**k out, Anglos' in subtle ways (so... pro emigration? :lol: )

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 6:21 pm

There are two definitions of 'far-right' as I see it: the racist one (ironically, many of the parties that subscribe to the racist doctrine are left-wing economically), but I have heard of it being used in the US to describe libertarians.

None of which seems to fit, as even a cursory glance shows that the Tories don't seem particularly libertarian.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 6:26 pm

Perhaps I should have said 'further right', then. But there are also left-libertarians. Though now that you mention it, Harper and his party have made some comments in the past that could be taken as racist https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Controversies_in_the_Canadian_federal_election,_2011 This is a pretty big block of text and doesn't just address the Tories but there are some comments about Native Americans and immigrants that many found offensive

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 8:19 pm

phil777 wrote:
Ugh, why can't i have some passport to a good place? =.=

Wouldn't it be great if we could all? -_-

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 10:53 am

Privatise the public domain, increase the cost of living, bribe the rich... these are the destructive policies that are being used to destroy the West. The creeping degeneracy of the elite is fuelling this, the whole "greed is good and I love money" ethos that has become acceptable. Anything is justified for private profit. Those who oppose it are said to be in the way of progress and are simply acting out of envy. I am supporting Quebec separation as long as this scum government is in power. I am thinking that the real problem is the multinational nature of Canada. The Western yahoos think that social protections disproportionately help their racial enemies, the French Canadians. Just as the American southerners are conditioned to think that any social protections help the unworthy blacks. If we had more ethnically homogeneous countries we would end such foolishness and also Quebec won't be burdened with the Calvinist legacy of English Canada and its masochistic addiction to punishment as treatment.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 1:44 pm

I'm kind of amused that the poll results are somewhat similar to the actual election results

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 3:29 pm

Vigilans wrote:
sartresue wrote:
My son would agree with you, CR. he voted Tory. :( :? 8O

Did you ground him and deny him dinner for the week after taking him out back to the woodshed with a leather belt? :lol: :wink:

A mangled vote topic

I have always been a fair parent, :lol: but my son is stubborn, and somewhat redneck. I have no idea why he sees things in such black and white terms, and sometimes it is embarassing to admit. He even wanted me to vote for the Conservative party. :pale: He was in meltdown mode (He is NT, by the way) until the Conservatives got their majority seats on election night, and was hopping angry everytime the seat count went down a bit in real time. He did not want a coalition, though not for the same reasons as I. At least he voted, though. I am hoping that time and maturity will enable him to see the errors of his ways, also called experiential learning. 8) The Woodshed of life and loosening his own leather belt might do the trick. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 4:53 pm

The Conservative voters should volunteer to donate large sums of their money to pad the profit margins of corporations and pay the CEOs' gargantuan bonuses instead of forcing us all to do so with their idiotic privatisations.

So much brainwashing. Public bad, private good, public bad, private good. Oh, let's pay extra for the profits that the private takes. This is so self-evident, that people don't get this is insanity.