Problem with career-personality matching tests..

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2011, 3:41 am

Okay for those of you who've used today's "standardized career-personality" matching tests such as the Myers-Briggs and the John Holland's career inventory, what was your impression?

My main problem is those tests only ask what you're interested in rather than testing your actual skills.

I am not good with "advanced computer skills" or troubleshooting problems with computers yet I often get "programmer" or "web developer" as one of my top careers on these tests. (I'm not a technophobe either though) I think I can just use the applications (word, excel) at a basic proficiency level and design webpages using templates (no HTML skills) and that's it. I have to call on my tech savvy friend (who is NT BTW) if I run into problems.

I am good with arithmetic and basic algebra (not good with higher math though) but have a difficult time catching small errors. Yet, "accountant" also comes up quite a bit (I think I might be okay with just basic clerical accounting with built in check systems but not sure about the ability to advance beyond that).
I am terrible with nonverbal expression but I got actress once when I answered the Holland inventory in a slightly different manner than usual with a focus on enjoying "creative things" like writing, editing, and painting.

Is there any free online test that measures your skills (okay, they can't measure your facial expressions) but that measures your math and writing ability in conjunction with your preferences?

If you know of any, please post them on here.

Thanks,
Allie Kat

http://www.myaspergerslifestory.com/

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 7:11 am

Just because you have an aptitude for something doesn't mean you would enjoy doing it.

I can program computers, but I think doing it for a living would frustrate me more than anything else.

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2011, 7:36 pm

That's why I'd like to see a standardized career assessment tool that does thorough analysis of both aptitude and enjoyment.
One can be good at something and hate it or one can really enjoy a subject area or activity but not have enough talent or aptitude to ever succeed in that career

It takes both aspects to make someone happy AND successful at a career.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 7:44 pm

Many years ago, I once took a test of some kind in relation to a warehouse job where my "pattern thinker" mind would have been thrilled to spend the day ... but then the owner of that small business said the test results showed I would not be compatible with all the other people already there. I felt baffled and humiliated at the time, but today I understand my Aspieness.

FaeryEthereal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2011, 8:04 pm

I'm afraid I don't know of any tests that measure your skills, if there are any I'd like to know about them! Similar problems here.......I've done the Myers Briggs tests loads of times and always come out with the same result......INFJ. All the suggested careers require university degrees and are all heavy on people interaction. So for an exceptionally introverted aspie female in her 30s with NO college degree there are no good matches. I HATE that I am very much an INFJ in that I am an idealist and very empathic but my introversion and autism is at war with that. Very conflicting and frustrating. Same problem with the Enneagram :(

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2011, 8:18 pm

Faery; it seems like you and I have loads in common as I've run into you in many of the forums on here. I also have strength in language with weaknesses in spatial and science skills and relate better to children than adults.

It's weird; I'd never thought I'd ever found someone who had a similar life experience to me. Most of the other AS people I've come across don't have the patience for kids.

FaeryEthereal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2011, 8:27 pm

I haven't found many other women on the spectrum like me either. I never used to relate to kids........until I had one of my own, he was extremely high needs and is diagnosed AS. That boy taught me the meaning of life and patience.........wow did he teach me patience!! ! I tend to do best with either the VERY young (babies & pre-schoolers) or people a lot older than me. People that are different in some way we are attracted to each other like bees to honey and they can be of any age/culture/background :)

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2011, 8:47 pm

Faery, I don't have any kids of my own (yet) because I am still looking for that special life partner. I got interested in working with kids because back when I was in high school and shunned by my peers, I was very popular with young children in the neighborhood (ages 3-10). I ended up spending most of my Saturday nights baby-sitting while my peers were all going out and partying. I ended up studying early childhood education because I couldn't relate to my peers back when I was 18 but related well to children. I got my BA but haven't been able to it as I just couldn't develop the teacher skills I needed. I did get better at relating to my peers as I got into my 20s. Now I have a social circle I hang out with and can fake NT for short periods but fear slipping into my Aspiness if I'm in a high pressure job with a lot of co worker or customer/client interaction. I have made up my mind to go back to school this fall and get another certificate...the question is what do I study now?

Remember when I made the posting about how I was considering paralegal training? I've eliminated that one because of the social demands, tight deadlines, the snarky personality of many lawyers, and long hours. I'm now thinking of getting into web design or entry level accounting which can both be done in pretty solitary environment. I just have to know if I have the aptitude to learn the skills required. I have an appointment with my career counselor on Thursday and I'll let you know how it goes. My counselor specializes in AS adults but still only gave me the conventional Meyers Briggs and Holland code tests so I'm going to bring a print out of this thread to the counselor but I'm going to black out everyone's ID for your privacy.

Last edited by AllieKat on 03 May 2011, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FaeryEthereal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2011, 9:40 pm

Yes, let us know how it goes! I wish I could find a good job fit :( web design or accounting sounds like it could work for you, GOOD LUCK!! ! :)

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 12:30 am

Faery,

I just wanted to let you know I saw my career counselor and she thought that the paralegal field might work for me if I worked for a non-profit organization that aides foster children or individuals with developmental disabilities and strictly focus on paperwork rather than clients. She saw my passions in the language arts and thinks I'd be bored and stiffled in accounting and thinks web design is too competitive. She said corporate lawyers are snarky and their offices can be very political but the small non-profit ones may be very aspie friendly. I am going to shadow a lawyer and paralegal team who specializes in representing developmentally disabled adults next week.

WDYT?

FaeryEthereal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2011, 12:57 am

Allie that sounds GREAT!! !! :thumleft: Let us know how the day of shadowing goes. I've been thinking ALL day long about what I am supposed to do with my life, I've gone right off the childcare thing again.........I think I'm just trying to make myself want to do it because there seems to be no other option, but it's not ideal for me not by a long shot, too noisy, too much interaction :( :huh: Your career counselor gave good advice I think.

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

07 May 2011, 1:07 am

Faery,

Have you thought about working in the children's section of a library? You'd just be pacing around, monitoring the children's section, helping parents and kids find books, and maybe leading a storytime here and there. I've thought about it but library clerks only make minimum wage around here and I make more than that as a private babysitter and household assistant. I was wondering if the pay would be a major issue for you.

FaeryEthereal
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 May 2011, 1:14 am

Oh I've thought of everything, lol. There's only one library here and zero jobs, you need a degree to work in a library now! One of my major issues is Dyscalculia, if I could only do math I could broaden my horizons......oh well :roll:

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 5:35 am

This is similar to how I am. ENFP. People oriented in many ways, but my aspie deficits cancel this out, so that the careers I want to do, the aspie traits create difficulties and I end up doing things I am not really good at and hate a lot, only because those jobs are things where my aspie issues are not a problem.

Taking a break.

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2011, 11:35 pm

@leejosepho

Quote:
Many years ago, I once took a test of some kind in relation to a warehouse job where my "pattern thinker" mind would have been thrilled to spend the day ... but then the owner of that small business said the test results showed I would not be compatible with all the other people already there. I felt baffled and humiliated at the time, but today I understand my Aspieness.

I wonder what the test was. Part of me wants to temporize the owners comments by saying maybe they wanted a balance of certain personality types... but then my mind tells me otherwise. I am sorry you had to endure that.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 4:29 am

I had the same problems for years, although admittedly career tests were just pushing me in weird directions and, accountant is what I came up with:

http://www.amazon.com/Test-Your-Own-Job ... 727&sr=8-1

It has what you mentioned - both career inventory and strength/deficit assessment.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin