Educational Games Teaching Social Skills

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ameritakushoujo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2011, 6:45 pm

Does anyone know if there are educational games for learning social skills out there? Are there any specifically designed for autistics or, if not specifically designed for autistics, are sometimes used specifically for teaching autistics?

Examples would include games that cover appropriate social responses for different situations or quiz you on aspects of body language and/or facial expressions.

Even if you don't know any, if I wanted to find them where would I start looking for something like this?

OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 May 2011, 9:52 pm

There's someout there, like one called Mind Reading, which has mixed buyer reviews. I read through a study on it and there was a small amount of improvement in kids who used it. It didn't seem all that worthwhile to me, though.

Acceberwalk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2011, 8:22 am

You might want to look up the Ryuu Game. The Ryuu world involves 6 socially inept dragons who evolve into socially adept dragons with the help of Light Forces and the hindrance of Dark Forces. Artwork is cool. There are games (a concentration game, a group game and some role playing games), lots of trading cards and a great CD called the Books of Ryuu.

Hindoa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2011, 9:19 am

May I suggest you have a look at games and learning activities from Autism Teaching Strategies.
1. Green Zone: Games and activities for finding common ground with others in conversation
2. The Conversation Train: Games and activities using parts of a train for parts of conversation (greetings, conversation turns, "off track" and "on track," goodbyes
3. People Points: How to score "points" with others by showing concern, interest, etc
4. CBT Mind Traveler: Examine how others deal with emotions and difficulties by "traveling" into people's minds (slides, cards, etc)

ameritakushoujo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2011, 3:31 pm

Thank you everyone! I'll check them out. :D