Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 3:56 pm

has anyone else noticed that this website is "slow" to up/download and causes occasional freezing of my computer.
is it this site o rjust me?
i hav ebeen having problems with my computer freezing since i started visiting this site and when i do visit it, my computer seems to have a hard time and needs to "think" before allowing me to navigate this particular site.

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2006, 4:39 pm

donkey wrote:
has anyone else noticed that this website is "slow" to up/download and causes occasional freezing of my computer.
i hav ebeen having problems with my computer freezing since i started visiting this site and when i do visit it, my computer seems to have a hard time and needs to "think" before allowing me to navigate this particular site.

I would recommend doing a virus and spyware scan on your computer, or else downloading and installing Mozilla Firefox web browser to see if it works better. I'm using a Mac and having no problems whatsoever.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 5:36 pm

Donkey...I have also had problems on occassions...today being one of them....I did a scan but Norton did not find anything though it originally said...."looking for one of one proble" Im a computer newbie...so I am clueless what is going on....I will try and switch to Foxfire" if I can figure out how to do so...I dont even know what my browser is...I think I have a Comcast cable connection and I'm using a new HP commputer...

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2006, 5:45 pm

krex wrote:
Donkey...I have also had problems on occassions...today being one of them....I did a scan but Norton did not find anything though it originally said...."looking for one of one proble" Im a computer newbie...so I am clueless what is going on....I will try and switch to Foxfire" if I can figure out how to do so...I dont even know what my browser is...I think I have a Comcast cable connection and I'm using a new HP commputer...

Hey krex. The browser is called Firefox. It is available at http://www.mozilla.com/

You are most likely using Internet Explorer currently.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 5:51 pm

Thanks Trapped...I am very dyslexic :D foxfire...firefox...uhm..guess one is a movie and one is a browser....probably makes a diferenc when it comes to googleing it...

Also...anyone have a problem when they are posting messages...when I use the emoticons, it erases everything I have typed the first time I use it but if I retype and use it again it is OK...weird

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 11:05 pm

I find that this Site has been very slow, on my Computer.

Anna
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2006, 11:12 pm

donkey wrote:

I got SQL Server errors from the site earlier today or was it last night (my time sense is not very good). Yeah - there were some problems.

EDIT: It is today, here's the error message.
There seems to be a problem with the MySQL server, sorry for the inconvenience.

We should be back shortly.

P.s. I agree with getting and using firefox though. Best browser by far.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

07 Aug 2006, 4:40 am

Yeah I have notice it being slow from day 1. Oh I am using firefox,oprea and IE.
I have had spyware in the past slowing down my computer(I did a clean re-install
of win XP) I check taskmanger often to see if strange processes are running and I check other websites for delay. Its not allways WP that is the bottle neck but it
often is.

riley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2006, 5:00 am

It's always loaded very slow for me.. my PC is old but I don't think thats the problem as other sites load okay.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 8:28 am

It's been slow for me the last couple of days, and I have been receiving those messages intermittently too. Does anyone know what the problem is?

BTW, how is this a woman's issue?

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 12:06 pm

I have a decent machine and I keep it very clean. I use both browsers mentioned above. WIn XP SP2, new install in May, the box works fine.
This is one of the slowest forums I've seen, and sometimes there are problems. That's to be expected. Even with multiple redundant backups there will be down times on any server system.
Not to worry.
Have faith.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

07 Aug 2006, 12:26 pm

Well I just did some test and I think the main problem is third party ad's slowing
down the site. Note the Google ads are fine but one of the others or the combo of them
is a bottle neck. Maybe somebody smarter can pin point the precise problem and we can file a suggestion to the admin.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2006, 1:42 pm

Excuse Me for being off topic. I think this should go in the Wrong Planet discussion or the Computer, Math, Science, and Technology forums. I wanted to let you know that you are off topic here. This is the Womens discussion. I know you are an Aspie. Aspies sometimes get off topic. I did too when I was younger, so don't feel bad. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Emily

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2006, 7:50 am

ok i posted this and i have no idea how it got into the womens discussion.
so i am sorry.
i hav eno idea how to unpost it or re-post it.
so here it stays i guess.
there is a womens forum?
how can it tell?

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2006, 10:30 am

Yesterday, according to the front page, and the way the forums are working today (I'm reading all of them), any problems with a slow site should be a clue to look at your own machine. The site was moved to a new provider (basically, because of the 24 hour down time last week), and although there might be a few bugs yet to work out, it is working much faster in general. Of course, I'm on a Linux box, but that shouldn't make much of a difference.

I'm told there are still a couple of issues, but they're working on that and we, the users, shouldn't see those issues unless they get bad, and it won't effect the site speed.

BTDT

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2006, 3:55 am

Wish someone would relocate this to WP dicussion section, but anyway.
Slow site problem happened just now, around 4:30 a.m. I was posting a reply & when I went to preview it, things stopped. Tried putting up the forum index-which it did, but couldn't get to any of the sections (general topics, members only, etc.), or functions (such as "posts since last visit" or "find your posts"). Went elsewhere for about 10 minutes, came back, now it seems to be working again. The uncertainty & apparent instability are aggravating, worrisome, and panic-inducing.