Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 9:20 pm

As many of you may know, Facebook has a part where you can say whether you are "Interested In" Men or Women (or both). When I first opened an account I just left that blank (note that I thought I was straight at that point too). Anyway, I've just set it to say I'm interested in men. I got rid of the little message it sends out to the news feeds, so I'm not exactly broadcasting the fact, but I'm not hiding it either.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 9:28 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
I'm not exactly broadcasting the fact, but I'm not hiding it either.

That's the way to do it, in my opinion.

I had interested in men and women from the start, it didn't occur to me that it was an issue until someone pointed out how brave I was having that even with my mother on my friends list - I've yet to have anyone question me over this. It can feel like a big step, or at least a step of some kind, but it may just go unnoticed and so you can sink into that identity without setting off fireworks...it's easier that way.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2011, 11:16 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
As many of you may know, Facebook has a part where you can say whether you are "Interested In" Men or Women (or both). When I first opened an account I just left that blank (note that I thought I was straight at that point too). Anyway, I've just set it to say I'm interested in men. I got rid of the little message it sends out to the news feeds, so I'm not exactly broadcasting the fact, but I'm not hiding it either.

That's pretty much how I started out, too. I set mine to say that I'm interested in men but deleted the news feed stating that I did so. So far, nobody has mentioned anything about it, which leads me to believe that nobody really cares.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 1:55 am

I'm interested in both men and women (leaning more towards women), but I have never made my preferences known on Facebook. It would cause too much controversy among my family members. I prefer to only tell people on a need-to-know basis.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2011, 7:35 am

It's more psychological for me. Now I can feel a bit more open about it. If anyone does care to look at my info (which I somehow doubt) then they'll find out. In all likelihood know one will notice.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 3:21 pm

I just keep my sexual preference blank in my facebook profile. My family wouldn't like the truth too much. There are just some things that you don't share with your family.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 3:33 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I just keep my sexual preference blank in my facebook profile. My family wouldn't like the truth too much. There are just some things that you don't share with your family.

Fortunately my family is quite accepting. My nuclear family is very much so. One set of grandparents have a gay son, so when they find out (not that they will from Facebook, as neither know how to use it) they will at least have some experience dealing with it. The other side of the family is pretty accepting too, except possibly my grandmother. Fortunately she doesn't even know how to turn on a computer. It will just be difficult to explain if I ever get married...

skysoar
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2011, 7:33 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
I'm not exactly broadcasting the fact, but I'm not hiding it either.

That's a great path. If you are okay with it others will be okay with it too.

- skysoar

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2011, 3:34 am

AstroGeek wrote:
It's more psychological for me. Now I can feel a bit more open about it. If anyone does care to look at my info (which I somehow doubt) then they'll find out. In all likelihood know one will notice.

mmm nice yeah I talked about this before... http://gayaspie.com/showthread.php?tid=54

It's interesting facebook, it's getting difficult for me, the myriad of friends I have.
from different backgrounds.. we all have different social languages.
from the sports language to work language, party language. family language arh...

mmm...

I can understand what you mean though, more for yourself :D

very smart :D and you can do it without broadcasting it, that's handy to know :)

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 1:16 am

kiwi wrote:
very smart :D and you can do it without broadcasting it, that's handy to know :)

Well, I thought I could. But my Mom saw a notification somehow (she already knew, fortunately). She thought it was a bad idea, but hasn't forced me to take it down or anything.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 12:08 pm

Yeah, I did this about a week ago, and deleted the notification.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 6:56 pm

I'm transgender, and for the longest time I kept my gender as female but set facebook to not display my gender.

I noticed that it was still using "her" when I changed my profile picture and it appeared in my wall as "Dots has changed her profile picture". So today I changed my gender to male. It still doesn't list gender in my profile, but now when I change my profile picture or such it says "Dots has changed his profile picture."

My facebook friends know I'm trans because I'm quite open about it, but it was still a change to actually declare myself male.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

kiwi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2011, 8:48 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
kiwi wrote:

Well, I thought I could. But my Mom saw a notification somehow (she already knew, fortunately). She thought it was a bad idea, but hasn't forced me to take it down or anything.

Your mum is your facebook friend?

hmmm....