No. 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
No. 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
When I was a kid. 15%  15%  [ 19 ]
When I was a kid. 22%  22%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 123

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

08 May 2011, 3:11 am

I voted "when I was a kid." I had so many Legos.

I'd do it all over again, though.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 4:18 am

I loved them when I was a kid. Especially the kits that had gears and universal joints and such. I still remember when I figured out what "rack and pinion steering" meant (because the model had it, and then the term suddenly made perfect sense).

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 4:35 am

i have been a designer (one of the designers @ the Legoland Space unit) at LEGO in billund here in denmark in my younger years when i finished my design education in the late eighties, before i went on to several other jobs, resulting in starting my own design company in the early nineties.

my youngest aspie son (11) is spending much time with his LEGO (star wars mainly).... it is his prime special interest.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 4:39 am

I loved Lego as a kid. We just had a big box of Lego parts that we had got from a cousin who had outgrown them, so we didn't do any instruction-based things.
I remember my favorite things to build were space ships and some sort of sci-fi like buildings with loads of computers and stuff in them.
We didn't buy any extra Lego, expect perhaps once or twice. We built the intended thing from the instructions once and then broke it down to use the parts in our own stuff.

I think I'd probably like Lego still, but I have no idea where they are now and I definitely wouldn't dare ask such a thing of my parents. Perhaps if I'll ever live on my own.

Last edited by Luci on 08 May 2011, 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 4:40 am

BTW...

my son just bought 2 new sets of LEGO star wars for somewhere around $100... and does this often... very often....

he has to much money i guess... and would spend even more if i didn't tell him he shouldn't.... :lol:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:00 am

I love Lego; I could pwn any child in a Lego-building contest. Take that, children!

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:03 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
I love Lego; I could pwn any child in a Lego-building contest. Take that, children!

Stupid children! :lol:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:10 am

Moog wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:

Stupid children! :lol:

No, no just the stupid children; I can beat the smart ones too.

There has been a huge collection of white Lego blocks recently at the Queensland Gallery of Modern Art that anyone can go and play with; it is awesomely awesome. I don't know if it's still there though; I haven't been to GOMA for a few weeks.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 8:31 am

The plural of Lego is Lego. :roll:

The year is still young.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 8:36 am

Ambivalence wrote:

Sorry, I did not know that. I had not used the word before in the English language. :?
Sorry. I am stupid.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 8:59 am

I loved playing with Lego. I used to sit for hours building Lego islands and boats.

I like playing Lego games on the XBox too. The best one is Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures :D

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 9:05 am

Luci wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

Sorry, I did not know that. I had not used the word before in the English language. :?
Sorry. I am stupid.

No you're not.

I think some people pluralise them as legos. Whether it's absolutely correct or not doesn't really matter. We know what you're talking about.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 9:32 am

Moog wrote:
Luci wrote:
Ambivalence wrote:

Sorry. I am stupid.

No you're not.

I think some people pluralise them as legos. Whether it's absolutely correct or not doesn't really matter. We know what you're talking about.

Actually, both are incorrect. The word "Lego" when used as a noun supposedly only refers to the company that makes these products. Otherwise Lego is supposed to be used as an adjective (Lego bricks or Lego pieces). This is what the Lego company itself insists, but it is nitpicking. In ordinary speech people say Legos all the time when referring to Lego pieces. I myself did this until only a few weeks ago when I learned on a Lego fan web site's FAQ about the correct plural.

You're not stupid, especially since as Moog points out we know what you're talking about. Besides, nearly everybody makes the same mistake (if it even counts as a mistake to insist on the company's definition when common usage says otherwise).

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 May 2011, 12:45 pm

I know this probably sounds goofy, but I had more fun putting the pieces all back perfectly in the box and compartments, than actually building stuff with them :?

Charles

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 1:09 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I know this probably sounds goofy, but I had more fun putting the pieces all back perfectly in the box and compartments, than actually building stuff with them :?

Charles

That is so AS! I love it! My experience was that I found I wasn't very creative with these little blocks. All my friends were building castles and solar systems and stuff, and I couldn't put together a decent looking outhouse! I finally came up with a pretty cool design for a little race car -- and I proceeded to build that same exact car, take it apart, build it again, take it apart, build it again FOR YEARS!

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 4:53 pm

I like Lego and I still make things out of it occasionally. It's fun.

I didn't have much Lego of my own when I was a kid. My older brother had a lot of it, but he kept it all to himself and even when he grew bored of it and stopped using it, he still kept some of the things he had built from it. I took the remaining pieces that he hadn't used and used them myself for many years, long after everyone else I knew had stopped playing with stuff like that. I still have those old pieces of Lego and a couple of years ago, when I was 27, I bought a large box of Lego blocks for myself so that I could make something more out of it than with the old scraps I had been using for years. I have mostly ordinary blocks though, not kits or the more technical stuff. Those are crazy expensive here, so I haven't bought any such kits yet. I mostly like to design and build houses and things like that anyway.

kx250rider wrote:

I always put the pieces back in the box perfectly too. I sort them by color, size and shape and put them in a particular order into the box. I don't do this just for the fun of it though. I prefer to keep things really organized and know where everything is, so that when I open a box of Lego and start building from it I can find the pieces I need quickly. There's also just something so soothing about organizing things and keeping them in a specific order.

RainingRoses wrote:
I finally came up with a pretty cool design for a little race car -- and I proceeded to build that same exact car, take it apart, build it again, take it apart, build it again FOR YEARS!

I did that too. I made the exact same houses very often and I made many very similar ones too, and I still do this, although I know make some new stuff in between too, now that I have more blocks to work with.

I also did this when drawing. I'd draw the exact same picture again and again for years.