Graveyard shift as work option....

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 10:50 am

I loved night shift. I've worked either night shift or late shift most of my adult life.
Altho, one thing that bugs me is that there's still that bit of stigma attached to sleeping during the day.
"Oh... you must work night shift." always sounds like "Oh... well, you'll get a real job someday... I hope"

mummadisaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2006, 11:21 am

Working the night shift is awesome!! I am a night shift manager for a transport company, my hours have been constantly changing due to the fact that I need to be at various sites, but I'm quite adaptable in that way and will always be available as the business requires. Generally I am home between 6-7am, so that I can sleep and be available for my son's school as required (on a daily basis as it stands, but it is unavoidable at present). I also have a great deal more time with my son in the afternoons, share dinner time with him and tuck him into bed at night before I have to go to work. At this time in my life, it is fantastic that I am able to do this. I have always had a preference to night shift because I have always been a night owl, and have held jobs previously where night shift is involved. I have held day shift jobs as well, and have no great problem with that either, but at night there seem to be less interruptions, it is more relaxed, I don't need to dress in corporate uniform, and I don't have to deal with upper management except via email :D The best thing is that I have plenty of time to study (I am big on education), next year I hope to be able to study for a Bachelor Degree in Business.

Lemmiwinks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Dec 2006, 4:37 am

It is 3:36 am right now, and I am at work!! Lots of free time as a Hotel Night Auditor!! :D

GLHARILA
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2006, 3:28 am

Yes i work overnight, there is less people tp deal with,i work with 6 other people and have been here 3 years so i'am able to talk to them

sderenzi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2007, 2:33 pm

I think that fellow who said it's not a good idea to work the night shift was right. When I worked nights 10PM-7AM I was fine, it was great actually, I was completely alone all night doing security for a building that nobody was even using. I felt like a king... but then... after time I got comfortable... I began sneaking in the offices to use the internet, playing a little with myself in just about anyplace I wanted, and umm I did all kinds of things you would certainly get in mucho trouble for had anyone known lmao What can I say, when you're alone all night with nothing but a guard dog next to you you'll do some strange things, really strange... I felt as if nobody could touch me, an for the most part I was right, but the pay stunk and I had no future there.

Let's see, I broke into an office using a sneaky tactic of pushing the window up then pulling it out, even though it was a security window you could circumvent it by lifting it out of the groove it laid in, so much for security lmao

I went upstairs in the primary office used for meetings, then would sit watching TV all night and drinking stuff.

I would sneak into a building with vending machines, tip over some and get treats. I usually paid once I became lazy :-Z~

I think I messed around just about everywhere in that place, it was fun finding weird stuff.

I never stole anything, but basically made it like my home.... now you see when you're doing that for almost 3 years and have 0 friends, no lovers, and nothing else.......... it's a problem :-P

Yepo, so Aspies, avoid night work.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 5:40 pm

Then again, it depends on where you work. I did a solitary security job a while ago, and you wouldn't BELIEVE how boring it was just staring out a window for 8 or 11 hours a night. Now I have my own "cubicle" of sorts, but there are a few dozen of us in the building at any given time, and the person in the network next door is usually good conversation. Sometimes it's a little boring, but you're never really alone.

The hardest part of overnights is getting back on schedule on off days.

JayWillam
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2007, 3:50 pm

I have worked both on second shift 2-10 pm, and overnight 6p-6a, both where as an EMT and it was a great time.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 5:22 pm

I'm working 11p-3a today. (correction, I'm going to be staring at a computer screen from 11-3)

xbeejx
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Feb 2007, 6:51 am

I'm a nurse and I have been working the night shifts on and off for a few years now. It is good in that there is less work, there is less patient and staff (it is mostly the staff that stress me out) contact. But it is in no way healthy, I used to come home feeling manic tired where I was too wired to sleep. My whole life was just working and sleeping and not having to practice my social skills made them deterierate, just as having the past few years off work has made my ability to cope with work stressors diminish.

That said, I think I will be going back to it. The thought of trying a new job scares the hell out of me and the pay I get is pretty damn good which is what has kept me trapped in this profession that I am very much unsuited to.