Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 4:18 pm

NSF wrote:
First thing is, I dont think Cannabis is a good idea for someone with Autism to take - or anyone else

Individuals with autism should do their best not to get in trouble with the law and it may be possible that individuals on the spectrum may be more predisposed to developing schizophrenia (Psychosis) if certain triggers happen- one I think is Cannabis intake [my theory].

Not encouraging future cannabis use, but what improvements have occurred with you taking cannabis - Im interested to find out more and of the possibility that it may help various conditions such as some cancers and autism but I think any benefits that occur should come from taking a synthetic derivative or pure extract of the components which would help [ie without psychoactive component] and be more acceptable

My theory arose that cannabis may be more likely to cause schizophrenic illness in autistic individuals after looking at news stories where scientists found the brains of individuals with Schizophrenia shrunk faster than expected, that cannabis causes psychosis and may lead onto Schizophrenia and that some brain areas are smaller in autism [already].

Being autistic doesnt make anyone more likely to develop Schizophrenia without such triggers as Cannabis [theory]

Look at effect of cannabis and also rimonabant [now discontinued] a cannabinoid inverse agonist on short term memory. Cannabis impairs it where as the inverse agonist Rimonabant increased the ability of the short term memory to function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rimonabant

"Memory

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is known to impair short-term memory. It was therefore hypothesised that rimonabant may improve short-term memory. Indeed, in animal studies, it significantly improved the performance of rats to encode information in the short-term memory.[14]"

Why exactly should I more then an NT be careful not to get in trouble with the law? I mean I have done fine so far but I do not feel I should live a lifestyle I do not want just so I can say I'm going by all the rules. As for the schizophrenia thing from what I've researched it can increase the risk in people already predisposed to it but there is also research that suggest one of the other cannabaniods besides THC can help with that disorder. As for my short term memory I did not have much of one to begin with and the cannabis does not seem to have any effect on that.

As for the positive effects.....it reduces my depression and thus the chance of becoming suicidal, it helps me deal with anxiety so I can think about things a bit more calmly instead of with 100's of worst case senerios filling my mind and making it hard to think. It seems to help with my social interactions, as i am more comfortable around people...and it seems to keep the PTSD under control pretty well also.

NSF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2011, 12:56 pm

Im not saying it doesn t help some people - just that it can be damaging and Ive not really came across much before now to suggest that there is a favourable benefit/risk profile for using it in any condition.

I really appreciate the response, there may be some role for it in the medical treatment of some conditions though smoked cannabis isn't the way forward -

NTs get in trouble with the law frequently, suppose its worse for someone with Asperger's or another autistic spectrum disorder to be interrogated by police. it could invoke a lot of stress, meltdown in some people etc and the police probably have little or no training in helping people on the spectrum.

NSF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2011, 1:04 pm

I'm still not settled down totally by the question, does having a diagnosis (or knowing you have AS) help when you are an adult? I guess it does, in the long term, but I'm not convinced right now, I feel I've lost my faith in myself quite seriously.

I think that there are so many people on the autistic spectrum that society has no idea how common Autism is - it may be beneficial for society to know how common autism really is.

Regarding an autism diagnosis, and it being helpful - there isnt a lot of help available from what I understand to people with Asperger's or other Autistic Spectrum Disorders unless they are profoundly affected.

I think the most important thing is to have knowledge about you and how any impairment in social interaction affects you [autism or not] - so you can make consious efforts to compensate such as in social communication with others, asking people to be as specific as possible and thinking ahead to what information would be helpful for someone to know in advance, such as a change in plans.

My registration with the professional body which I need to practice as a healthcare professional got delayed by say 2 or 3 months because I declared Asperger's syndrome to the professional body - yet Im minimally affected and the uncertainty of not knowing if the registration would go through was horrible.

Other thing is dont be rude - Ive met some people with Autism and they have been rude eg talking behind my back and making inappropriate comments, others have been some of the nicest and most genuine people I know.

Society stigmatises mental health conditions,

herbeey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2011, 1:22 pm

Two things that help me keep anxiety at bay as much as possible in social situations included my tinted glasses (they need to be on before the anxiety kicks in, not after) and a belt round the chest (this is usually deployed or tightened when anxiety increases).

The reason for the belt is that it provides strong pressure, pressure that I don't habituate to because breathing causes it to perpetually tighten and loosen, and pressure that I am in full control of (deep breath = very tight, and the belt itself can be tightened or loosened accordingly too).

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 1:42 pm

NSF wrote:
Im not saying it doesn t help some people - just that it can be damaging and Ive not really came across much before now to suggest that there is a favourable benefit/risk profile for using it in any condition.

I really appreciate the response, there may be some role for it in the medical treatment of some conditions though smoked cannabis isn't the way forward -

NTs get in trouble with the law frequently, suppose its worse for someone with Asperger's or another autistic spectrum disorder to be interrogated by police. it could invoke a lot of stress, meltdown in some people etc and the police probably have little or no training in helping people on the spectrum.

Well yes I can see your point there, and I certainly do not enjoy having to deal with cops, though last time I managed alright the main problem is I definatly come off anything but calm around cops and the eye contact thing......but I guess I am rather stubbron and will not give up something that I feel is extremely beneficial for me to ensure that never takes place. Also as soon as I can I am going to try to get a medical marijuana card or whatever so I can smoke it legally I do have that option living in colorado. As for the smoking its not the safest method of ingestion but it's not nearly as bad as ciggerette smoke.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 3:19 pm

Acceptance helps me out a lot. If I know that I'm accepted, than I feel more welcome by the general population. If another person isn't willing to accept me as I am, well it's goodbye and have a good life, to them.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 3:35 pm

NSF wrote:
I'm still not settled down totally by the question, does having a diagnosis (or knowing you have AS) help when you are an adult? I guess it does, in the long term, but I'm not convinced right now, I feel I've lost my faith in myself quite seriously.

I think that there are so many people on the autistic spectrum that society has no idea how common Autism is - it may be beneficial for society to know how common autism really is.

Regarding an autism diagnosis, and it being helpful - there isnt a lot of help available from what I understand to people with Asperger's or other Autistic Spectrum Disorders unless they are profoundly affected.

I think the most important thing is to have knowledge about you and how any impairment in social interaction affects you [autism or not] - so you can make consious efforts to compensate such as in social communication with others, asking people to be as specific as possible and thinking ahead to what information would be helpful for someone to know in advance, such as a change in plans.

My registration with the professional body which I need to practice as a healthcare professional got delayed by say 2 or 3 months because I declared Asperger's syndrome to the professional body - yet Im minimally affected and the uncertainty of not knowing if the registration would go through was horrible.

Other thing is dont be rude - Ive met some people with Autism and they have been rude eg talking behind my back and making inappropriate comments, others have been some of the nicest and most genuine people I know.

Society stigmatises mental health conditions,

I'm still getting the impression that we just don't know enough about the prevalence of ASD. In fact, we don't know the exact criteria of being on the spectrum per se.

I think telling people how much should they care about spectrumers is two-edged. On one hand, it can help us. On the other, we could be regarded as a group not wanting or not able to be up to the common standards, thus banned from certain areas of society and work. It's a bit bitter, but I'm afraid true. I, personally, beg for no excuse.

Speaking inappropriately (or stupidly in everyday terms) most of the time is involuntary to me, or in some cases, sign of a misguided, somewhat desperate behavior. Isn't this the case with the rude ones?

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2011, 4:06 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Why exactly should I more then an NT be careful not to get in trouble with the law?

To avoid contact with the criminal justice system. I wouldn't recommend that for anyone, let alone someone with autistic characteristics. Along with driving and job hunting, being part of the criminal justice system is one of those things that maximally hits the weaknesses of people with AS, HFA, etc.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2011, 4:11 pm

NSF wrote:
I'm still not settled down totally by the question, does having a diagnosis (or knowing you have AS) help when you are an adult?

I would like to be proved wrong, but in my research there is close to no benefit for an American. I don't know of any job placement programs or anything that would be worth the cost of the diagnosis. Plus you'd have to interact with the mental health system with doctors, appointments, more driving, more social contact. I'd rather set fire to a stack of $1000 bills, it would be more fun.

With a diagnosis, you are technically covered under the ADA disability thing, but in the real world, people can always find a way to get rid of you if they want to. (Plus, would you be able to afford and carry out a lawsuit against someone who didn't accommodate you?)

As an adult, I've found I've already learned, by trial and error, any coping mechanism I've seen in AS-related books.

If anyone who has had contact with the mental health system in America wants to start a thread spelling out the specific benefits of a diagnosis for adults - go for it!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 4:12 pm

Trencher93 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Why exactly should I more then an NT be careful not to get in trouble with the law?

To avoid contact with the criminal justice system. I wouldn't recommend that for anyone, let alone someone with autistic characteristics. Along with driving and job hunting, being part of the criminal justice system is one of those things that maximally hits the weaknesses of people with AS, HFA, etc.

Well I don't drive.....and I am not out causing harm to anyone so I don't attract a whole lot of negetive attention or anything. there is just the cannabis use being illegal unless I get the medical card for it.

Daina
Raven
Raven

16 May 2011, 4:35 pm

Things that have helped me with aspergers. May or may not be helpful for autism.

1. Rehearsing situations in my head: Thinking about what will happen and having expected outcomes really helps me to calm down and do things that I would otherwise avoid. However this comes with a warning: Nothing ever turns out quite as expected, so try not to stress out when it doesn't turn out "right" A great general once said "plans are nothing, but planning is everything" Thinking through situations before they arise may help you to deal with other things that happen, even if it wasn't at the expected time.

2. Knowing my boundaries, yet getting out of my comfort zone: Not doing something because you are scared or anxious about it is not a good reason. Give something a few tries before you knock it, even if you don't like it at first. I dislike *everything* new, but there are some things that I didn't like at first which I have come to enjoy immensely. That being said, if I am getting too stressed in a situation, then I know I need to go somewhere where I can relax. Repeating a bit of memorized poetry in my head also helps.

3. Write things down: Conversations, rants about yourself, explanations... write them down. I know for me, for about three or four months when I was first trying to be social, I didn't say anything that I hadn't written down first. This is partially because I am naturally nonverbal so don't have anything to say, and partially because if I had already written something down I could say it with ease and didn't have to spend time thinking about how it would sound or if it would be ok to say, ect. However, just like #1, remember that things don't always go as planned. I still wrote down everything about myself and used it when I thought it was applicable in conversations.

4. Don't be afraid to stim: It makes things so much better. However, figuring out creative ways to do it with no one noticing can help if you are self conscious. I usually scratch my arm if I am uncomfortable, or something like that.

5. Figure out creative ways to be more comfortable in a situation: Pillows are a favorite for me, I've noticed. And I don't mean for sleeping on. If there is a couch with pillows near by, I will always have a pillow in my lap and "hide" behind it. Having a barrier helps me, and probably helps for the compression thing too. Sitting or standing in corners or with my back to a wall also helps in crazy situations because I know nothing is going on behind me so it eliminates that source of confusing stimulation. Doodling also helps me concentrate, so I do that a lot, especially when I'm not keen on looking anyone in the eye.

6. Observe: I pretty much spent a semester just observing people at my social group and coming up with a list in my mind of what they did and didn't do. Observation of people's actions and reactions in all sorts of situations has helped me. I usually "parrot" their responses if something similar happens to me.

7. Down time: Always have time set aside to go hide from everyone and just do your thing.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 8:51 pm

About marijuana:

1. It seems to me that the increase in the risk of depression would be more worrisome to autistics than the development of schizophrenia, since autistics are already at high risk of depression. (Edit: This also applies, on both sides, to anxiety)

2. NTs can talk themselves out of trouble much more easily than autistics.

As to what helps with autism?

Don't hate yourself for who you are. That's where 90% of the problem lies.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 9:21 pm

MrLoony wrote:
About marijuana:

1. It seems to me that the increase in the risk of depression would be more worrisome to autistics than the development of schizophrenia, since autistics are already at high risk of depression. (Edit: This also applies, on both sides, to anxiety)

2. NTs can talk themselves out of trouble much more easily than autistics.

As to what helps with autism?

Don't hate yourself for who you are. That's where 90% of the problem lies.

Well I have depression, which the marijauna seems to help as well.......but I am aware it certainly does not help all cases of depression, but neither do anti-depressants. Also, I am actually not too bad of talking myself out of not so great situations. Though sometimes I have to mention that i have mental issues in order to get rid of any suspician....obviously not making eye contact is rather suspicious so an explination may be nessisary.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 9:22 pm

Pushing my boundaries, gently. I'll second that, strongly. I adopted a new definition for success: Success is doing what I said I would do, with ease. I take care with what I say I will do, but go ahead and do it even if I have to overcome some discomfort.

Cannabis giveth and it taketh away. I wouldn't recommend nor condemn it, but I would caution against using it obsessively or robotically. Right now, I've stopped using it, and I'm really enjoying the contrast. I've also enjoyed the contrast when I'd previously stopped, then picked it up again. Never invoke anything you can't banish.

A comment on shyness. I decided for a while that I was a superior being, and came off as an arrogant jerk. Regaining a little shyness has made me easier to handle for the NT-ish.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 11:28 pm

Quote:
The link between cannabis and other more common mental health disorders such as depression and anxiety is confusing, because often cannabis is used to relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety.

Cannabis may seem to help ease depression before the effects of the drug wear off; however after that, smoking cannabis may make depression worse. Those who use cannabis have been shown to have higher levels of depression and depressive symptoms than those who do not use cannabis. Although results are mixed, there is a substantial amount of evidence to suggest that cannabis use, particularly frequent or heavy use, predicts depression later in life. Young women appear to be more likely to experience this effect.

Personally, I think this is true of a lot of prescription medication (while taking it, you do well, when not, you do worse). I guess the difference between cannabis and anti-depressants is that (usually) people can function well on anti-depressants, but really can't on cannabis (thus, during times when you need to function well, cannabis can actually be an inhibiting factor).

However, the main thing to consider with this sort of thing is that the effects of really anything vary from person to person. For some people, anti-depressants cause increased depression. So, for some people, I have no doubt that cannabis has long term beneficial effects on depression. Medicine works on the principles of the majority. On the majority, it seems to have an overall negative effect. On the minority, it could help. It could also cause addiction if you're in the majority, so the overall negative effect would be even worse (it's also more difficult to stop since most cannabis addicts don't... or perhaps CAN'T recognize the fact that they're addicted). Yeah.

It's fine to recognize the fact that you're different. Just don't think that that makes you wrong.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 12:58 am

MrLoony wrote:
Quote:
The link between cannabis and other more common mental health disorders such as depression and anxiety is confusing, because often cannabis is used to relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety.

Cannabis may seem to help ease depression before the effects of the drug wear off; however after that, smoking cannabis may make depression worse. Those who use cannabis have been shown to have higher levels of depression and depressive symptoms than those who do not use cannabis. Although results are mixed, there is a substantial amount of evidence to suggest that cannabis use, particularly frequent or heavy use, predicts depression later in life. Young women appear to be more likely to experience this effect.

Personally, I think this is true of a lot of prescription medication (while taking it, you do well, when not, you do worse). I guess the difference between cannabis and anti-depressants is that (usually) people can function well on anti-depressants, but really can't on cannabis (thus, during times when you need to function well, cannabis can actually be an inhibiting factor).

However, the main thing to consider with this sort of thing is that the effects of really anything vary from person to person. For some people, anti-depressants cause increased depression. So, for some people, I have no doubt that cannabis has long term beneficial effects on depression. Medicine works on the principles of the majority. On the majority, it seems to have an overall negative effect. On the minority, it could help. It could also cause addiction if you're in the majority, so the overall negative effect would be even worse (it's also more difficult to stop since most cannabis addicts don't... or perhaps CAN'T recognize the fact that they're addicted). Yeah.

It's fine to recognize the fact that you're different. Just don't think that that makes you wrong.

Well the thing with cannabis is I don't have to be 'on it' all the time for my depression to be decreased....like with anti-depressants, not to mention anti-depressants do not have pleasent effects on me.