school questions. understanding feelings

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ambroseboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2011, 6:48 pm

We are reading a book called "Animal Farm" we have a question asking "what is the character thinking" and another called "what is the charatcer feeling" I have incredible troublr with this. my teachers tell me "infer it" I CAN"T I have only just mastered reading body language and facial expressions (which i still have trouble with). Being Aspegers i have trouble understanding feelings and such. Could someone please help me. How can i tell what a character is feeling/thinking

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 7:39 pm

Animal Farm from George Orwell?

I've only read 1984.

If the thoughts and feelings of the character are literally in the book then you could summarize them. But if their not then you have to make your own interpretation (what you think they think/feel) of them.

If all else fails, try book reports on the internet, it's not really a new book (acclaimed classic) so you should have plenty of sources.

Oh, no copy-pasting - they check on that stuff.

Good luck!

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 7:40 pm

Just guess. Or you could google it. :wink:

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 8:01 pm

What character?
I read that in 9th grade, so you'd have to give ma a review of the actions of this character.

Anyways, I used to suck really badly @ that, now I am semi-ok.
Just think:
Here is this person (pr animal)
They are making actions or a sequence of actions
What is the goal of said actions?

If I walked down the street, to the grocery store....you can assume my "intentions" are to buy groceries. Now I could be meeting up with a high-profile CIA representative behind the back alley of the store to discuss aliens.....but you could only assume that if I had secret documents in my black satchel (and I'd probably be wearing dark sunglasses, a large grey trench coat, and be very secretive and selective about who I talk to and about what). Understand?

So, If your dog goes do dig a hole, what is his intentions?
It's that line of thinking, just a little more complicated.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 8:33 pm

The teacher probably wants something medium superficial, medium "obvious." If you can take it further, fine, but one does not need to excel (or show off, and from time to time I need to remind myself of this).

------------

In the real world, it's about being approximately correct, then take a medium step, look at obvious feedback, another medium step, etc. (Some of this I learned or re-confirmed in the venue of playing poker, where all I'm trying to do is the broad categories of player likes his or her hand or player does not like his or her hand. And I'm not trying to pick up enormous subtleties. I'm just trying to avoid burying my head so deeply in my own hand that I miss what is palpably obvious right in front of me. I recommend poker as (one method) of social skills. I very much do not recommend it as an attempt to make money because of natural variance and because a downswing hurts more than an upswing helps.)

ambroseboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2011, 2:16 am

I tried just guessing based on their actions and what I would feel in this situation and my teacher was happy. While I may not be able to understand what they are feeling I ams till succeding, thanks guys. I'll just keep doing what i'm doing.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 12:31 pm

Good for you. :D