Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 11:06 am

Ok I read the original post in FULL this time.......and I don't think that Periphery song falls into...whatever it is you're looking for. Not many bands live up to the likes of Tool or Porcupine Tree. Opeth, maybe?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 11:27 am

Katatonic wrote:
My vote goes to Spencer Sotelo from Periphery. They're a Djent band that pretty much are the leaders of the pack at the moment. And with good reason. This guy can reach some incredible highs. I really like how he can do a death metal grunt and then immediately go into a very high octave without skipping a beat.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdQFDKB0gig[/youtube]

I like, they've got a really strong and diversified sound.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 1:07 pm

Katatonic wrote:
Ok I read the original post in FULL this time.......and I don't think that Periphery song falls into...whatever it is you're looking for. Not many bands live up to the likes of Tool or Porcupine Tree. Opeth, maybe?

Nah, I still liked it. I think in general I think its more along the lines of deep/immersive mood but grimey, real, almost stark and frightening real in terms of content or where its emotionally going. Ie. sublime emotionality. It seems like its been out there in rock, metal, and industrial, been out there in trip hop and rap, now apparently there's some out there in pop. My fixation on drum & bass mostly comes from the fact that - the right angles of dnb - you can barely go wrong, just that the drawbacks obviously being that its generally nonlyrical, I like it that way but then again I'll admit that my problem isn't that I'm against words in music so much as I've historically been picky - for the sublime not the trite or bubble gum - and most music out there seemed like it was really dry of that for a long time.

Guess that's why I asked though - I got the feeling just by licking my finger and holding it out in the air that there might be some really good stuff out there passing me by, especially since I really don't listen to the radio (at least not for music), don't watch any music TV, so generally I'm in a dnb, dubstep, or experimental bubble most of the time - know what's going on there pretty well but the world around me could just about take a 180 shift and I might be still thinking its all Britney, Ke$ha, Gaga, Kanye, Lil Wayne, Justin, and Katy here in the US.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 9:21 pm

One mistake - I bought M.I.A's Maya cd to check it out, threw it on my system and realized - its mixed down *badly*, I mean she Kentucky Fried it. I don't know if I'll be able to listen to much of that. I mean...geez.... Klaxon's new cd has grit but - they know how to mix, balance, etc., and they don't 0 db their sounds whereas it sounds like almost everything she used got clipped. Real shame, it could have been a good cd otherwise :(.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 2:24 pm

Early Evanescence is good at what you seem to be looking for. Amy Lee has a great voice, and tends to write songs from personal feelings and experiences. The newer Evanescence isn't as good, in my opinion, even if Amy still sings the songs. When she departed from/fired half the original band, it only went downhill, to me. Also, Halestorm. Elizabeth Hale has an amazing voice, and she uses it to great effect. Never heard a voice quite like hers, except maybe from Jane Evil, of Haunted By Angels.

As for male vocalists, well, let's see... I'd say Klayton of Celldweller counts, as well as Bret Autrey of Blue Stahli. Tim McIlrath of Rise Against as well. He has a very unique voice, especially for a man, and his application of it to a melodic hardcore band makes it even more awesome.