Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

keiko
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2011, 9:39 am

My son, who is 10, and has AS has become increasingly worried and obsessive about "not being a little kid anymore". He went to the mall yesterday and found that the sign on one of the play spaces said it was for younger children. He became tearful and continues to perseverate about it. He says the pictures in our house of he and his sisters as toddlers make him too sad. He has what he calls his "fear", which is a fear of growing old and dying. Every day it is some new trigger that starts him off on this train of thought. He says his friends don't want to play his little kid games anymore. I went the path of reassuring him that he would always be a kid in many of the best ways. I didn't try to nudge him forward at all toward accepting that people get older and you just have to accept it. Do you think I need to try to force him into the "real world" more so he won't get teased or just let him be sad and anxious but with our support (and that of his psychologist?

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 10:08 am

It would probably be best to try to get him to start seeing some of the good things about becoming an adult. For me, independence and control over my own life were big attractions.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 10:29 am

I wrote something longer but my short answer: he can be a kid forever in the ways that matter. Look at everyone on Saturday Night Live. I'd point stuff like that out to him. (Not nec. that specifically cause that's actually for an older audience, but everyone on there has the most ageless personality imaginable).