Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 7:08 am

I rather enjoy playing Maid RPG (of course, none of the games I've been in have been "mature" or dark...). I was wondering if anybody else was interested in getting a game going over Skype.

I don't think I'd do good as a master (I actually have very little experience). I'm currently the master in a game that's on hold for now, but that's really because nobody in that game had ever played before.

So does anyone want to get a game together?

BTW: If you don't know what Maid RPG is, it's this:

http://www.maidrpg.com/index.shtml

It's completely absurd and also completely hilarious.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 11:48 am

just read the description out of sheer curiosity.

Wow.. that is seriously weird. I swear the Japanese developers must be on LSD trips when they come up with this stuff. :lol:

slovaksiren
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 4:57 pm

Very interesting... Though I would have nobody to play it with...

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:43 pm

Dantac wrote:
just read the description out of sheer curiosity.

Wow.. that is seriously weird. I swear the Japanese developers must be on LSD trips when they come up with this stuff. :lol:

You should read the flavor text in the rulebook. THIS guy...

If anyone would be interested in playing, PM me. You don't have to buy the book to just try it out (they actually recommend pirating the pdf version for the first few times you play... though after that, they'd prefer if you buy it).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:46 pm

I've played "Big Eyes, Small Mouth", but quit after one session because the GM had this wierd obsession with having me portray a bishonen ... and I do not "swish" ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 9:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
I've played "Big Eyes, Small Mouth", but quit after one session because the GM had this wierd obsession with having me portray a bishonen ... and I do not "swish" ...

I'm not familiar with that scenario. I am, however, familiar with bad GMs. (Edit: Oh, I see. It's another TRPG. I'm only familiar with a few, and Maid RPG is the only one I know of from Japan)

By the way: The note about piracy in the pdf:

Quote:
A Word On PDF Piracy
If you downloaded a pirated version of this product from
the internet... Well, give the game a try! Don't just let this
s**t rot on your hard drive, it only takes like 5 minutes to
put a scenario together: So go print out the needed parts,
bring some friends together and throw down a session or
two. We only hope that if you liked it, and got some fun play
out of it, that you guys throw us some money for a genuine
print or PDF version of the game (www.maidrpg.com). It
helps Ewen for all the murderously hard work he did on
the translation (while simultaneously going for a grad degree
and holding down a job, no less!), and encourages us to bring
more nifty Japanese RPGs over into English.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:19 pm

MrLoony wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I'm not familiar with that scenario. I am, however, familiar with bad GMs. (Edit: Oh, I see. It's another TRPG. I'm only familiar with a few, and Maid RPG is the only one I know of from Japan)...

The word "Bishonen" Literally means "pretty boy" - an attractive (usually androgynous) member of the male gender. In manga, it is not unusual for the bishonen to have a romantic relationship with the male hero.

I wanted to battle flying space robots, not play "Hide the Katana" :wink: with other male players.

On another note, I've attempted to GM a play-by-post RPG that was based on Traveller ("Science-Fiction Adventure in the Far Future"), but could not attract players.

:(

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
MrLoony wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I'm not familiar with that scenario. I am, however, familiar with bad GMs. (Edit: Oh, I see. It's another TRPG. I'm only familiar with a few, and Maid RPG is the only one I know of from Japan)...

The word "Bishonen" Literally means "pretty boy" - an attractive (usually androgynous) member of the male gender. In manga, it is not unusual for the bishonen to have a romantic relationship with the male hero.

I am familiar with the term, but I can't say that the latter is true from what I've seen (then again, I haven't read all that much manga).

I describe myself as bishounen... or potentially bishounen (if I were to lose all this extra weight). ;)

Anyways, it was the "Big Eyes, Small Mouth" that threw me off.

Edit: Oh, hey, look at that. The master character sheet that I'm using for the other game (and would probably use if I was forced to be the master in a game set up here) has him as bishounen. For added fun, he's a fairy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 10:40 pm

MrLoony wrote:
... Oh, hey, look at that. The master character sheet that I'm using for the other game (and would probably use if I was forced to be the master in a game set up here) has him as bishounen. For added fun, he's a fairy.

:lol:

I like playing near-normal human characters that are nerdy/geeky and that are more interested in technology than people (Low CHA). Add a radical martial arts (high DEX) or secret psionic skill (High INT), and I could have fun with it. Other than that, playing a character that's a mish-mash of skills and talents does not leave much room for role-playing - no magical ninja/werewolf/alien/cyborg princes for me!

HOWEVER, if the character enhancements could be toned down a bit ... ;)

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 9:11 am

One of the great things about Maid is that it really stretches your roleplaying abilities (since everything is so random).

Let me give you an example from other games I've played:

Vampire/Priestess. Turns out, she's a vampire, but she rejected the idea of living off the blood of humans. She and the master create synthetic blood in the master's lab (she's also his assistant). She became a priestess long before she met the master, and it helps bring her peace when the urge to feed becomes strong (when they run out or are low on synthetic blood, which is rather difficult to make, she drinks cow blood, which isn't nearly as nutritious for vampires as human blood).

Former prostitute. Some people are fine with playing someone who used to sell their body for money. This particular player was kind of iffy about it. How she met the master was that, on a trip, he was forced to stay in a rather run down inn, where she had brought her first client. She changed her mind, but the client didn't relent. The master heard the commotion in the next room and rushed over to help her (she has low athletics). This is also why she serves the master.

These are examples of it stretching your ability to create backstories. The first within the game mechanics itself (the vampire could probably be a priestess of an evil god, though...) and the second to create a backstory which fits into your character playing abilities and willingness. Various other random aspects of character creation stretches your abilites to roleplay not matter how you work the backstory. Just as an easy example: A person preferring to play a female character rolling "actually a man." Or a person that prefers to play male characters and not rolling that (or, if playing the butler, rolling "actually a woman").

Complexes and traumas (like the former prostitute) REALLY help to stretch your roleplaying abilities.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 10:16 pm

Here's mine: Middle-aged electrical engineer (Lee Min-Ho) who never had a steady girlfriend. One day, he discovers that his "intuitive understanding" of technology has more to do with his mutant ability to sense electrical activity, and to perceive the difference between an orderly, 'healthy' system, and a defective 'unhealthy' system. This ability eventually progresses to the point where he can perceive electromagnetic fields into the terahertz region, and develop technology to manipulate these energies.

Unfortunately, his manipulations have thinned the veil between this world and a parallel world inhabited by electrovores - a world currently undergoing the final stages of entropy, or "Heat Death", where there is so little energy that the electrovores have been driven insane by hunger, and are currently feeding on anything that generates an electric field - including each other.

So far, only a few electrovores have breached the veil, but more are coming through ... and those already here are reproducing.

Only the 'Professor' can perceive these electrovores directly, and only his lovely assistant (Kamiko) believes the stories he's telling. Everybody else just thinks that current technology is undergoing a crisis in quality control.