Page 1 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

edgezz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 May 2011, 11:45 am

I would like to know if and how much other aspies drink. I am not referring to a drink or two to be social once in a while. I want to know how prevalent alcohol abuse is in our world.

I have seen a book recently, which I haven't read, that makes it sound like alcohol abuse is much more common for aspies. I have drank a lot for years. It has continually progressed to basically daily use now. I guess I am trying to rationalize in some way whether it is simple alcoholism or does my Aspergers add other factors.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 11:59 am

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my aspergers but i drink alot, i use it to 'forget' the stress of daily life because of my issues.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 12:21 pm

What about your family? Do they use alcohol to cope? I've tried alcohol. However, because I don't like or do hangovers very well, nor tipsy, I've given up using it as a coping mechanism. This is not to say I never have a drink...just that it's only on occasion, & never more than 2 if/when I do. Maybe it's also what you're used to while growing up? My parents were partiers when I was really little (yes I remember some pretty weird things), but as they got older, they drank less & less. Mom is gone now, & dad might have a glass of wine once in a while, but I doubt he indulges in more than that. I'm adopted, so it's not a genetic thing for me.

Tomboy

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 12:24 pm

Two weeks ago, I drank a six-pack of strong beer every day, but I got bored with it (and poorer), so I stopped.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2011, 12:46 pm

There are undoubtedly aspies who do use alcohol to cope with the fact that everyday social interaction and organisation are more stressful for them than for the general population. There are also some who - like me on occasion - try and use it as a means of blocking out the loneliness and isolation that are frequently engendered by having AS.

This is a book I read by someone with AS who became and alcoholic and almost died, but ultimately lived to tell the tale:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asperger-Syndro ... 997&sr=1_1

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 12:54 pm

I do drink pretty often.......but not really in excess or anything, I just like it but I can easily go without it. Sometimes it can take the edge off things but I am careful not to use it to hide from my problems because that is a good way to become alcoholic(not a pleasent thought as I have lots of alcoholics in my family and do not want to be one of them.)

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 12:55 pm

I grow up in a strict religion and never drank alcohol. When I left I didn't drink either as I don't like the idea of losing any control of my mind (I gather that more than a couple of drinks can dull the senses without you realizing it). I don't know if this is AS related though.

Besides, I can't afford it.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 12:56 pm

IMO, alcohol and Aspergers do not mix. We Aspies tend to isolate and if an Aspy drinks, they tend to drink by themselves which is not good. Also when alcohol is used to escape lonliness, isolation, boredom, it can develop into a habit very easily. That is how I used it. When I was younger (I am now 55), I thought I was bullet-proof and alcoholism wouldn't happen to me, it just happened to weaker people. I was wrong.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 1:05 pm

Aspinator wrote:
IMO, alcohol and Aspergers do not mix. We Aspies tend to isolate and if an Aspy drinks, they tend to drink by themselves which is not good. Also when alcohol is used to escape lonliness, isolation, boredom, it can develop into a habit very easily. That is how I used it. When I was younger (I am now 55), I thought I was bullet-proof and alcoholism wouldn't happen to me, it just happened to weaker people. I was wrong.

I usually tend to be drinking around other people, but I don't see much of an issue with drinking alone if I have some good music to listen to. Drinking is nothing compared to other things I've experianced so I suppose drinking alone is not very threatening. But yeah I would quit drinking if I felt that I was starting to get dependent, because alcoholism is not the path I desire.

edgezz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 May 2011, 1:07 pm

"Drinking To Cope" is the book that I referred to earlier and I do plan to read it.

I'm not even sure anymore how much is habit and how much is "need". It does cause issues at home but if I'm sober for a few days I can feel 'overload' coming on. Sensory issues become more sensitive. Stress feels like it builds upon itself. I feel more isolated. More bored. Less happy. I begin to overthink everything and then I can feel the walls closing in. The alcohol doesn't actually make any of these things any better just more tolerable. But I'm not sure the price at home is worth the 'benefit'.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2011, 1:07 pm

I used to drink, but not as much as most people because I get drunk very easily. I've had so many bad experiences that I decided to quit alcohol completely. I actually enjoy myself more now, so I think it was a good idea :)

edgezz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 May 2011, 1:16 pm

Aspinator-I hear exactly what you are saying. That is where I am now. My tolerance is very high so I consume a LOT. I do usually drink alone although I enjoy when others drink with me. My dad likely has aspergers too. He is 71 and still drinks 8 to 20 (yes, 20) beers a day. Surprisingly,it does not affect us the next day. He and I have both been relatively successful professionally. Unfortunately, we don't do so well with other humans.

edgezz
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 May 2011, 1:17 pm

BTW-I am 46 should that matter.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2011, 1:19 pm

edgezz wrote:
I would like to know if and how much other aspies drink. I am not referring to a drink or two to be social once in a while. I want to know how prevalent alcohol abuse is in our world.

I'll be 29 in a month. I cannot drink. I have only recently been alcohol-free (6 months now). I had problems previously - for 4 years (age 21-24), I would drink almost every other night. I built up quite a tolerance, where I got into 8-10 beers before I was "drunk." I stopped drinking cold turkey in summer of 2007. I maintained this total sobriety (never drank at all) until Summer 2010 when the stress of losing my job due to Aspergers, pushing through a mortgage modification, trying to start my own company (due to lack of employment locally) all caught up with me. I had a single drink one night, thinking it would be OK and take the edge off, and before I knew it I was falling down drunk 3x a week on a dozen beers. So, alcohol and I, DO NOT mix - I don't know if it's Asperger's or maybe just me personally, but my circuitry cannot and should not tolerate it. It took a considerable about of effort and herb supplements to wean myself off again. I have no intention of ever starting again. Lesson learned.

Alcohol is a low disguised as a high. If you stop drinking for a long time, take good care of your body, then begin again, it's effects are not pleasant. It feels constricting, inhibiting. Alcohol is basically a blunting and muting of the mind. It has so many side-effects. It will throw you into depression, anxiety, overstimulation and hostility very fast. So, if you are 'on the spectrum" I strongly recommend you find other vices, other ways to subtract the stress in your life.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2011, 1:34 pm

abyssquick wrote:
Alcohol is basically a blunting and muting of the mind. It has so many side-effects. It will throw you into depression, anxiety, overstimulation and hostility very fast. So, if you are 'on the spectrum" I strongly recommend you find other vices, other ways to subtract the stress in your life.

...like marijuana! :lol:

Apina
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2011, 1:34 pm

Im not interested about party and drinking. Thats why my many age-mates think im weird. Rater I do interesting things, than play role in idiot group, which is only interested about your reputation and not about what kind person you really are. If you cant have fun without alcohol, you must be dull guy...