Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 6:22 pm

Does anyone have this problem? I'm not talking about forgetting to eat or being unaware of hunger when you're hyperfocusing, but actually not being able to tell that you are hungry on an everyday basis.

I cannot consistently tell when I am hungry. My brain doesn't alert me until a very high threshold of hunger has been reached. I eat according to the clock, not the hunger signal. The only time I can tell when I am hungry is when I have not eaten for a whole day or longer. Every couple of months, I cannot tell that I am hungry at all for one to two weeks at a time. I am wondering if this is due to my screwed up sensory processing, even of internal signals. My sensory processing is very screwed up across the board, so maybe this is another "feature" of that.

Anyone have this experience? I'm very physically healthy, so I don't think that I have any illnesses to account for this. If I did, then I would probably be dead already, because this has been going on for my whole life.

Franma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2011, 9:18 pm

I have this too. I can't tell if I'm hungry and go through periods where I forget to eat for days at a time then suddenly get dizzy and remember. Fortunately my family is aware of this and reminds me to eat.

"It seems that for success in science and art, a dash of autism is essential." Hans Asperger

In the end I'm just me whatever that may be

melodylynette
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 May 2011, 10:23 pm

I have always had that problem, but with my bladder. I don't know I have to go until I have to cross my legs and wait for the urge to pass for a few. They I have to run to the bathroom. When I was pregnant it was worse, sometimes I didn't make it. :(

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 10:25 pm

None whatsoever. In fact, i'm always hungry.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 11:55 pm

Yes. I have always been this way and mom finally told me I was never hungry. At least I didn't starve because I loved sweets and ate for boredom which my mother didn't allow. I only ate when she made us snacks or lunch or dinner or when it breakfast time and when there be food available.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2011, 12:00 am

Sometimes I can't tell if I'm hungry or if I just have gas/indigestion.

MisterJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2011, 12:13 am

I've got the same problem, but in an opposite sort of way. I generally only feel hungry when I'm either incredibly full, like after eating at a restaurant or when I've forgotten to eat for a day or so.

I am unsure if this is related or not, but if I eat shortly before going to bed, I wake up feeling literally like I'm starving. I experience strong hunger pangs and find it difficult to eat certain things. All I have to do is eat the slightest bit of some kind of simple or soft food and I feel fine. The more that I've eaten the previous night, the worse it is in the morning.