Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Meow1971
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 May 2011, 1:44 pm

In general what has been people's experiences with Ritalin/Adderall? I have been wondering if I should request them for my concentration issues.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

23 May 2011, 7:21 pm

I take both. They increase my ability to concentrate and sustain focus on tasks. Both drugs work equally well. Every morning I take Concerta (extended-release Ritalin), and in the afternoon I take a small dose of Adderall (which lasts for three to four hours). However, just because I have a good response to these drugs doesn't mean everyone benefits from using them.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 3:22 pm

I was given an RX for Ritalin a year or so ago because I have a lot of fatigue and I was beginning to fall asleep during class. I find that Ritalin makes me feel almost jittery. I've taken Adderall on only one occasion and I preferred the way it made me feel to Ritalin.

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:58 pm

I used to be on Adderall. My Physician kept changing the dose to a higher one because I still wouldn't focus very well. Because of the side effects "Appetite loss" it made me look very anorexic. I had severe gastrointestinal pain starting a little bit before my puberty that wouldn't go away. I went to many doctors that prescribed me on many medications for it and it wasn't until I decided to get off the Adderall that these pains alleviated somehow. My parents probably wouldn't have made this decision themselves because they think I act weirder without my medications. The aspergers symptoms stand out more then usual if I didn't take it. I still have problems concentrating without out it which makes school-life a bit difficult for me. Part of my goals when starting college after being home-schooled was to prove to my parents that I don't need to be on medication so I'm trying my hardest. Its very difficult to concentrate, everything around me can be very overwhelming. I've never been on the other medication Ritalin, or maybe I was but I don't remember. I also had to be put on a medication called Clonidine because the side effects of Adderall made it difficult to fall asleep.

WeirdAlYankovicFan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2011, 3:46 pm

I am on a similar medication prescribed for Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), called 'Equasym XL'. It is methylphenidate-based so I suppose that it is identical to that of Ritalin, since Ritalin boasts the same active ingredient, methylphenidate hydrochloride. I currently take 10 mg each morning. It assists remarkably with my disposition and concentration, and additionally, I feel more inclined to perform mental tasks within long time-spans and to sustain adequate focus ability compared to how I performed whilst I was not taking the medication. (February this year.) When I had first initiated my medication, the dosage was originally 30 mg, but just a couple days upon my first few dosages I begun having severe side-effects, namely tachycardia and insomnia (persistent lack of ability to fall asleep). Withdrawal effects were not to my liking to say the least; and the following days I had endured unfathomable amounts of low temperament, following severe agitation, intrusive thoughts, irritation, and depression. I am now on the 10 mg dosage and have been for months. I am on the extended release, so it lasts throughout the day, without the requirement for an additional dose. I have not suffered any disconcerting side-effects since.

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2011, 4:04 pm

I have ADHD and I take 20 milligrams of Ritalin in the morning and 10 milligrams of Ritalin in the afternoon and that really helps me out.

Shivan
Raven
Raven

07 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

I was given Adderall, not for my ADD but for my CFS. 1 pill and I was asleep for 3 days.

593shaun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

I take s**t tons of Ritilin and Adderall daily.

ShutUpMeg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2011, 3:07 am

I used to take Adderall and Vyvanse. Vyvanse was added after the Adderall wasn't helping much; it only made my heart race. When taking them together they worked well for my concentration. Best thing was that I could wake up well in the morning and go to sleep w/o trouble every night, which I haven't done consistently since I was...ok never. I asked for a change because the monthly prescriptions were getting to be expensive (around $160 for the two alone plus I was away at school, unemployed). My doc told me to stop taking the Adderall and upped my Vyvanse dosage. Later on after I told her that I was feeling terrible, she told me to discontinue the latter and go back on the Adderall, which alone didn't really help my focus in the first place.

Before and during this period I knew nothing of the withdrawal effects. They were so bad I had to withdraw from classes this past semester (I went a little batsh_t... 8O ). When I read more about tactile hallucinations (which I was experiencing) it came together for me that it was the med withdrawal that messed my head up. After that I stopped taking Adderall for good. My doc was mad that I abruptly stopped taking it w/o direction but that's what I did the first time on her order and resisted the urge to tell her to stuff it.

Overall Adderall worked best when combined with something else, for me. Everyone's different though. I probably should never have said anything in the first place because now I don't even have the attention span to return a text message lol. Just be in the know about withdrawal effects.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

14 Jun 2011, 10:02 am

ShutUpMeg wrote:
I used to take Adderall and Vyvanse. Vyvanse was added after the Adderall wasn't helping much; it only made my heart race. When taking them together they worked well for my concentration. Best thing was that I could wake up well in the morning and go to sleep w/o trouble every night, which I haven't done consistently since I was...ok never. I asked for a change because the monthly prescriptions were getting to be expensive (around $160 for the two alone plus I was away at school, unemployed). My doc told me to stop taking the Adderall and upped my Vyvanse dosage. Later on after I told her that I was feeling terrible, she told me to discontinue the latter and go back on the Adderall, which alone didn't really help my focus in the first place.

Before and during this period I knew nothing of the withdrawal effects. They were so bad I had to withdraw from classes this past semester (I went a little batsh_t... 8O ). When I read more about tactile hallucinations (which I was experiencing) it came together for me that it was the med withdrawal that messed my head up. After that I stopped taking Adderall for good. My doc was mad that I abruptly stopped taking it w/o direction but that's what I did the first time on her order and resisted the urge to tell her to stuff it.

Overall Adderall worked best when combined with something else, for me. Everyone's different though. I probably should never have said anything in the first place because now I don't even have the attention span to return a text message lol. Just be in the know about withdrawal effects.

Yeah, sometimes short-acting stimulants work better if added on top of a base stimulant that's long-acting (in your case, Vyvanse).

JadeEyes
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2011, 4:09 pm

on a low-enough dose, Ritalin had no effect on me other than causing headaches and irritability in the withdrawal phase. On a higher dose, it made me extremely jittery and hyper-focused.

melodylynette
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2011, 11:33 pm

ShutUpMeg wrote:

I thought it was just me that had issues with Adderall withdrawls. It felt like I had the creepy crawlies on my arms but there was never anything there. Glad I don't take that stuff anymore.