Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 12:41 pm

I've applied to multiple low wage, menial labor jobs, and never could get a break. Interview after interview, getting shot down in favor of these 19 year olds without degrees. I have a BA in English, which I thought would give me an edge, but I think it's working against me. People are now telling me to leave it off, because managers figure I'm going to bail the second I find something better. My advice- if the work doesn't require a degree, don't mention you have one.

I should have been wiser.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:20 pm

Hard call.

I got a job as a vending machine attendant by leaving my law school off the application. I had applied before and was not hired when I left it on the application. Maybe it helped, maybe they were desperate enough to hire me because I was there and willing to work.

The key issue is that your time in school becomes a question of what you did for work. If you worked while in school, they might not be the wiser. If you didn't work, the issue may come up and you should have a good answer for it. Some might be upset that you omitted your education, but you could politely and matter-of-factly explain that you felt you would be pre-judged for having too much education when you need a paycheck and do not turn your nose up at honest work.

I understand the employer's concern that you will leave them for something better, but I have a JD degree and I'm basically working as a secretary...going on 6 years now. 8O I've been looking for something better for the last 3 years with no luck.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:47 pm

You're lucky you even got interviews for those jobs.

I have a master's and I lost out on a job (meaning never even got a call back) at Books-A-Million in favor of an 18 year-old with only a GED!

I've thought about leaving college off, but what am I supposed to say I was doing during those years?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 2:09 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Hard call.

I got a job as a vending machine attendant by leaving my law school off the application. I had applied before and was not hired when I left it on the application. Maybe it helped, maybe they were desperate enough to hire me because I was there and willing to work.

The key issue is that your time in school becomes a question of what you did for work. If you worked while in school, they might not be the wiser. If you didn't work, the issue may come up and you should have a good answer for it. Some might be upset that you omitted your education, but you could politely and matter-of-factly explain that you felt you would be pre-judged for having too much education when you need a paycheck and do not turn your nose up at honest work.

I understand the employer's concern that you will leave them for something better, but I have a JD degree and I'm basically working as a secretary...going on 6 years now. 8O I've been looking for something better for the last 3 years with no luck.

By secretary, do you mean you're doing paralegal work? If not, you easily could be.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 7:13 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
Hard call.

By secretary, do you mean you're doing paralegal work? If not, you easily could be.

Could...don't want to.

The problem with working in the legal field is lack of interest. I like the law, but not enough to put my nose to the grindstone as the profession requires. Most paralegals are expected to do a lot of work to keep their jobs, and I keep telling people I don't want to work in the legal profession. If I start taking law-related jobs, it will erode any chance I have of doing something better.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2011, 1:02 am

zer0netgain wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Could...don't want to.

The problem with working in the legal field is lack of interest. I like the law, but not enough to put my nose to the grindstone as the profession requires. Most paralegals are expected to do a lot of work to keep their jobs, and I keep telling people I don't want to work in the legal profession. If I start taking law-related jobs, it will erode any chance I have of doing something better.

The same thing has happened to me, more or less. I'm an electronics engineer but keep landing jobs that are in the CS area, and while I'm pretty capable of performing the tasks I'm assigned, I'm sick of them, and they don't really contribute to my resume, other than to get identical jobs.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 4:59 am

Cutting down on the Resume helps
Earlier when i mentioned that i was the Master of Ceremony in the schools Annual Day where i was teaching etc
I was not selected
When i kept it simple and just wrote that i taught in so and so school for a year i was selected at other places
i guess they dont like pompous writings in the Resume

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 6:23 am

Quote:
I've applied to multiple low wage, menial labor jobs, and never could get a break. Interview after interview, getting shot down in favor of these 19 year olds without degrees. I have a BA in English, which I thought would give me an edge, .

Are you sure it's the degree holding you back? They may be looking for more work-experience (yeah, it's a chicken and egg situation)

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 8:22 am

I think the secret to getting a job is to be the person they expect to employ. If that means leaving out qualifications or dumming down your experience then so be it. Being over qualified is just as much a hindrance as being under qualified. So when I go for a job I ask myself: What kind of resume would they expect to recieve from an applicant for this job?

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 9:08 am

Also Aspies qualification do not credit their outlook
Since Aspies are so slow, dull, they make mistakes, they have memory lapses etc
I remember one of my boss always used to say that i might have copied in my exams
and passed my graduation
I am so dumb and idiot according to him that all my qualifications are fake
So i feel that Its better that we underwrite our Resumes.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 5:10 pm

What I would worry about when leaving whole degrees off my resume is the large time gap that would exist in my employment history, as well as the fact that a simple Google search of my name would quickly reveal info that implies that I got XYZ degree. Does anybody know if educational background comes up in background checks? These days I've filled out quite a few background check consent forms when applying for jobs.