I hate it when things like this happen . . .

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 3:28 pm

There is this lady at my work (probably about 50 or so) who decided to start emailing me when I told her I was looking for a new job - initially to try to talk me into staying at this job which she then realized was futile and then gave me this 'you need to come out of your shell' crap (can I say that on here?) - but that's ok - I said 'I'm autistic so there is no shell - this is how I am . . .' and she actually went and read up on Kanner autism, HFA, and AS so I thought 'well, cool - I can keep emailing this person . . .'

So I did - and she kept up with the being social stuff and how offended she got that she used to say 'Hi' to me in the morning but I didn't respond and so that had hurt her feelings and I thought 'Oh - I'll remind her about my sensory things and how she is not in my line of sight and it will be fine' and I even gave a example of someone who got all offended when I didn't see them at Wal-Mart one time - well, she gets offended further because I didn't say 'I'm sorry, that wasn't intentional . . .'

All this had been beginning to get on my nerves a while ago - so I said, in more words 'I spent 28 years trying to act normal and it just got me really depressed - I am asking you to work with me just a little - there is nothing wrong with me - my brain just works differently - if you are looking for a social emotional person you are just looking in the wrong place . . .'
and she sent me a message back saying that was quite a lashing and she would have to wait a while to respond . . .

And people wonder why I never talk to anyone - I am just stating the way things are - if she wants a social emotional person she is barking up the wrong tree and needs to know that - I have no desire to go back to acting like I'm normal because I'm done beating my head against that wall . . .
I swear it is hardly worth leaving the house dealing with all these people . . .

krex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 6:51 pm

Animallover(so am I)....I have often felt that I am a magnet for "crazy and manipulative people"I am to shy to 'reach out" for friendship but have tried to be open to people who have approached me for friendship....One such person, became very angry at me for "yawning at them"?????I said that yawning is an automatic reflex caused by a lack of oxygen and that I had a sever case of broncitus at the time, so was very fatigued....and, how exactly, can someone yawn "at" someone?You can yell at someone but my yawns are not directed at anyone....she then went to her psychologist who she said agreed with her, that she deserved an apology from me(I thought, maybe if I was being paid $100 an hour to be your friend, I might agree with you too)...basically, I told her to get away from me because she was being irational and manipulative and I had no attention of apoligizing.

I wont relay all the other examples(my posts are to long as it is),but my point is...because I tend to be open minded and reserve judgement about people whom others would pick up"weirdo" signals from and run away from...I tend to meet some emotional unstable people...some of them have ended up being good people (I like unconventional people)but ,some are just "nutts"...sounds like your ex co-worker falls into the later catagory...

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 9:32 pm

krex wrote:
Animallover(so am I)One such person, became very angry at me for "yawning at them"?????I said that yawning is an automatic reflex caused by a lack of oxygen and that I had a sever case of broncitus at the time, so was very fatigued....and, how exactly, can someone yawn "at" someone?

I came up with this face-saving tactic when I inadvertantly yawn while talking to someone. Usually, I say something like: "Excuse me <pause>, I only got four hour of sleep last night" or "It feels kind of stuffy in here". This provides an instant excuse for your yawn. In the NT society, yawning sometimes means you're bored with someone. Even thought most people know that yawning is caused by low oxygen, those same people will assume you yawn because you're bored.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2006, 11:11 pm

I also attract unusual people - but to me they are more rational or at least less annoying than normal people - I know people who are severly ADD, transgendered, bipolar, etc . . . you name it . . . I guess the difference is that they know what it is like to think differently than everyone else and just accept that I do too . . . there is none of this 'savior/save you from yourself' stuff . . .

Corcovado
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 2:23 am

"Yawn at someone", haha, that's a good one, I think I'm going to use that one day.

"Are you yawning at me young man?" Haha! :lol:

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 7:15 am

Me too!

I hope things improve with you soon!

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 11:37 am

NTs do yawn at someone when they want to passively end a conversation. It's a style of interupting. They're saying either, "You're boring" or "I'm not really hearing what you're talking about".

TubbyChef
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Aug 2006, 2:31 pm

:wink: I have similar problems with people. I do 'attract' odd kind of friends, but I am odd myself - a vegan, somewhere on 'The Spectrum', a bit O.C.D-ish, etc, so that's fine. It's the 'normal' people I have problems with. I seem also to attract others who want to change/'help' me, (i.e to interfere with my life :evil: ), and when I finally snap they think I've 'gone mad' :? . I know my own problems/limitations, and I find the majority of 'normal' people way les intelligent than me, so why would I need their pathetic, meddling advice????? :roll: .

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 4:43 pm

I'm vegan too - maybe it is something about thought processes or something . . .

Anyway, I came up with a unique solution to the problem - she emailed me and said 'do you think we can still be friends' and I said 'possibly - but now we play by my rules . . . we will talk about concepts, facts, and ideas - here are topics you may choose from: vegetarianism, sharks, weather, serial killers, and religion - let me know which one you want to talk about'
Well, she picked religion and I don't know what she expected me to say but what I did say was 'I've been wondering a lot about scientology lately - do you know anything about it?' to which I got a 'What!???' response - so I'm betting this will fizzle out . . .

(By the way, I've found this great web site called religionfacts.com that is just that - just the tennants of religions and lots of charts comparing them to each other - really cool - and read about scientology and as far as I can tell it is a modern more science fiction version of Christian science - which is very interesting - I hadn't realize they were in any way alike)

mysteriouslyabsent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2006, 5:08 pm

The woman clearly has issues, I mean she goes to a physchologist for gods sake, I mean if you yawned in her face as she was talking to you maybe you should have said sorry, but otherwise you are right.

The other woman from the original post sounds a bit weird as well, one of those over sensitive types who overreacts and thinks the world is out to get her, like most NTs I guess :lol: .

BTW I would stay away from Scientology, they are quite manipulative, they use sublte brainwashing and psuedoscience to keep people in and make them donate money.
I generally think most religions are rather silly but I think you'd have to have an extra dose of stupid to join Scientology, even going to the 'information' evening is enough for them to start the brainwashing.

Here is a good rule of thumb for religions, the more celebrities that join that religion, the stupider it must be and dumber you have to be to join up.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2006, 5:39 pm

Oh - I wouldn't join Scientology - I just study different religions and I've been hearing about that one a lot because of that particular celebrity and so I was thinking about how I hadn't read about it is all . . . any religion who's founder is quoted as saying 'If you want to make a lot of money, become a writer - but of you want to make a WHOLE lot of money, start a religion' is sort of off limits for me . . . :lol: