Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2011, 5:00 am

I have been on Effexor XL for about 10 weeks now and it has helped my anxiety a great deal. However, I am begining to notice some memory loss. I simply can't remember what I did more than about a week back. Everything before I started taking the drug is (unfortunatly) very clear. Is this normal?

I'm also getting a slight tremmor, especially in my left hand (Ilm right handed). Are these things I should be worried about or is it normal when taking Effexor?

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2011, 2:23 pm

Anyone? :(

WoodenBoy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2011, 3:59 pm

Hi,

Yeah I noticed quite bad memory loss on this. It's not on the list of side-effects on the info leaflet, though. I had to google it to see if it was just me...it isn't - there are hundreds of people on just one page complaining about it.

I'm off it now, after about 15 months taking it. Not missing it, tbh.

wizardbear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 May 2011, 11:19 pm

Yes, both. Memory loss and tremors.

Uprwestsdr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2011, 4:53 pm

I'm on both Effexor and Wellbutrin. I've not had the problem you cite with Effexor, although my memory is basically bad all the time. When I thought it was getting worse my doctor suggested going on B complex vitamins and it seemed to improve. I suggest calling your doctor.

Qi
Raven
Raven

02 Jun 2011, 4:32 am

Make sure your memory loss is actual memory loss, because sometimes it's just that you don't pay attention to certain things as you used to, so you tend to forget about them.

For example, if you have some form of OCD or anxiety, you may pay too much attention to, or think too much about certain things, which will cause it to stay in your memory. But when you start on a psychiatric medication, you might find yourself less occupied with these details, and hence you forget about them more quickly.

It's part of the reason why I have such a good memory. I learn someone's name for example, and start thinking like: "What kind of name is that?" and then start thinking about the name and how people came up with it...etc, so then I would remember that person's name 20 years later. On the other hand, if I heard the name, and was like "Whatever", I might forget it within a few weeks.

Just thought I'd share something about memory vs. ways of thinking.

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2011, 4:52 am

Qi wrote:
Make sure your memory loss is actual memory loss, because sometimes it's just that you don't pay attention to certain things as you used to, so you tend to forget about them.

For example, if you have some form of OCD or anxiety, you may pay too much attention to, or think too much about certain things, which will cause it to stay in your memory. But when you start on a psychiatric medication, you might find yourself less occupied with these details, and hence you forget about them more quickly.

It's part of the reason why I have such a good memory. I learn someone's name for example, and start thinking like: "What kind of name is that?" and then start thinking about the name and how people came up with it...etc, so then I would remember that person's name 20 years later. On the other hand, if I heard the name, and was like "Whatever", I might forget it within a few weeks.

Just thought I'd share something about memory vs. ways of thinking.

Yeah thanks. Good tip. Think some of my memory loss might well be related to 'thinking' less.