Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 1:43 pm

sunshower wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
That said, I love my life. I love myself. Depression is just an illness I've inherited, it isn't me. I think it has made me quite tough in some ways, though. I wouldn't be the same person without it (though I would definitely choose to not have it if I could). It's not like AS, where I'd have to seriously think about whether I'd keep it or not - depression is an illness and it is painful. In some ways, it can be like AS, in that it can be hereditary and permanent.

I guess they like to prescribe SSRIs to people going through temporary crisies, so that is why 'depression' is so widely diagnosed. The temporary kind where you go through a bad time in your life should probably have a different label from the version that you have for life.

I agree on all counts here - I love life too, and I'd get rid of the depression if I could. I'd also prefer a different label because I feel they are so different. Depression always comes out of the blue for me, often at high points in my life (when I'm feeling really happy or everything's going well for me) and then screws up everything. It goes on for months and by the time I've recovered I've lost all the ground I've gained and have to start again. Depression because of sadness and depression because of genetic illness have different causes, and thus I think distinguishing the two is important. Someone who sinks into depression due to sadness may well only experience it once in their lifetime. If you have depression as a genetic illness you will have it time and time again. Although treatment is the same, causation is different, and if the two were separated then it would be easier for researchers to focus on means of prevention (cure) for genetic depression (I don't think sadness induced depression can be prevented, although once it occurs it can be "cured"/"treated"). I could be wrong I guess.

Well sadness is a normal human emotion, so yeah if someone starts getting depressed due to sadness then chances are its because maybe there was a death of someone close and they are having a hard time getting over it....or maybe a relationship ended badly. So yeah a lot of people assume depression is the result of having a hard time getting over something....so anyone with depression should just 'get over it'. I think its kind of hard to get over something that does not have a direct cause.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2011, 1:47 pm

Seph wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Darin wrote:
I have major depression too, and you're right it is always there, but it's manageable. I know exactly how you feel, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, take your anti depressants, if those don't help, try another..and another, if you're bed-ridden, try changing something up, it's all small steps. I do still feel sad sometimes, but I actually feel now.

I tried them and they made me more anxious, more depressed, unable to control emotions and seemed to cause exagerated emotions I was not used to and they made me pretty paranoid. So yeah I quit them and since then have not really been willing to try any more because I don't want to have another experiance like that. But I have found other ways to keep it under control...it still sucks but that's life I guess.

Yeah anti-depressants are pretty hit or miss.

There are different types of depression. What everyone experiences from time to time is situational depression.

well and sadness, a lot of people get the two mixed up.......if your sad about something that's not quite the same as depression. But yeah I am pretty sure I have what is described as chronic depression...so yeah even when its not totally affecting me its still under the surface.

Darin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2011, 6:48 am

:( I'm sorry to hear. I just hope your ways of keeping it under control aren't hurting you mentally, or physically. I have been there, done that and what you do now, follows you later when you've got your depression all under control.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 10:49 am

Darin wrote:
:( I'm sorry to hear. I just hope your ways of keeping it under control aren't hurting you mentally, or physically. I have been there, done that and what you do now, follows you later when you've got your depression all under control.

Well if what I do helps me function better I think its fine......I mean if I was going to have negative effects I already would I would think.

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jun 2011, 5:50 pm

I have depression and I have been off my depression meds for over a month now, so I haven't been doing well. :( I have been crying a lot and I have been really sad lately. :(