The most ridiculous Saudi arguments against women drivers.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 8:23 am

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... _the_wheel

And the top arguments against Women drivers in Saudi Arabia are:

You're not oppressed, you're a princess!

People are looking at you when your driving... somehow being in the drivers seat makes one more visible than being a passanger

If the King says it it must be true?

God says women drivers are evil and deserve to die. (Must have missed that verse)

I figure we all need a collective laugh... over what is not really a laughing matter.

Was not spoken of the soul.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 11:40 am

Where's Orwell to point out that they aren't even properly constructed formal arguments?

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 11:48 am

This is nothing really new under the sun. Unfortunately oppressors are always going to find illogical excuses to oppress the oppressed in every culture and society. Saudi Arabia is just one example of many of such attitudes.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 12:21 pm

A Christian colleague of mine told me that her mother used to love living in Saudi Arabia (where her father works) because it was a life of relaxation/luxury, she said that she loved it too, "the best years of our life were in the Kingdom, it was a life of relaxation" she said , I was puzzled.

Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 12:27 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
A Christian colleague of mine told me that her mother used to love living in Saudi Arabia (where her father works) because it was a life of relaxation/luxury, she said that she loved it too, "the best years of our life were in the Kingdom, it was a life of relaxation" she said , I was puzzled.

I would be too.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 1:12 pm

91 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

I would be too.

She was not the only one who told me a such thing.

I do also recall a very westernized Sudanese girl (studied in a British school) told me that she enjoyed life in KSA (her father worked there too). She also said that the religious police there never dared to harass her and her mom since they were seen as western foreigners (they lived in a compound for westerners), all they had to do is to reply in English and the police would sigh and leave them alone. In fact, the police doesn't have the right there under any circumstance to address to the women if there was a man among them. My colleague told me that they never harassed them, and if they had any complaint related to some dress code then they would say it to her father to adjust the issue.

Usually single guys working there don't last too long, they just go there, work for few years, and come back to Lebanon with a small fortune, a lot of them get so depressed to the extent that they would return after a year. Very positive feedback I got from those guys about life in KSA.

But the stories I heard from non-working members of families living there (where the father usually works) were totally different, yes they did hate some aspects of life there (having to wear the veils outside the compounds, praying times, religious police...etc) but they loved life there in general.

I think they enjoyed the compound life and the activities they were able to do there on a daily basis (swimming, parties, sports, gyms). My colleague literally said that it was heaven for her.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 27 May 2011, 1:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 1:15 pm

I can see the attractiveness of the ex-pat lifestyle. Though I can pick some better destinations.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2011, 1:23 pm

91 wrote:
I can see the attractiveness of the ex-pat lifestyle. Though I can pick some better destinations.

Yea, and I think that things are way different for the native Saudi women.