No. That would be fine with me. 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
No. I am confident that I will get married eventually. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No. I am confident that I will get married eventually. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 164

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 7:03 pm

For some reason I have begun to worry about this. I'm 25 and have never had a girlfriend in my life. The older I get the more I am expected to know about how a serious relationship "works", but I have had absolutely no experience in such a thing.

Vinzer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 7:10 pm

Nope. I intend to take a ton of people down with me when I die.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 7:18 pm

Vinzer, you should be careful about what you say. Since Columbine, such things are not taken in jest.

- Emerson

YellowBird
Raven
Raven

15 Aug 2006, 8:09 pm

I've thought about this as well. I'm only 20 but I know as you get older, potential mates expect you to have experience (socially and sometimes sexually.) From what I've read, by the time many aspies get out of the "adolescent phase," most NT's are a step beyond adulthood and many are out of the dating scene. The only option then is to find someone even older (usually someone divorced) or the more risky option, someone fresh into adulthood (read: younger.) Neither of these options are very attractive, but what's an aspie to do?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 12:06 am

No.

Essentially everyone is born alone and everyone dies alone. It's not going to make me happier when i'm dead whether there is a bunch of people grieving for me.

I'd be happy with the people (or pets) that are waiting for me on the other side.

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 1:30 am

"Essentially everyone is born alone and everyone dies alone"

Technically that is incorrect since everyone is with their mother when they are born.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 2:05 am

Dying alone seems quite likely.

Perhaps when older I should go down and buy a newspaper every day, so at least someone might notice that I'm not around.

On the other hand I'm just as likely to do a Thelma and Louise, but without anyone else in the front passenger seat.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 2:31 am

What difference will it make whether I'm alone or not if I'm going to die? I think I'd be far more worried about the fact that I would soon be dead.

I say if you're going to be worried about being alone, worry about it while you're living. At least then you can do something about it.

emp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 4:01 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
What difference will it make whether I'm alone or not if I'm going to die? I think I'd be far more worried about the fact that I would soon be dead.

hah, that is exactly what I was going to say.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 6:59 am

Emettman wrote:
Dying alone seems quite likely.

Perhaps when older I should go down and buy a newspaper every day, so at least someone might notice that I'm not around.

On the other hand I'm just as likely to do a Thelma and Louise, but without anyone else in the front passenger seat.

I would love to die in a Landrover Descovery, I will put the car on credit ,I have no intention of paying it back.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 8:22 am

Yes, I do worry about dying alone because I love her very much. I would not want to die without her.

devonmike
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2006, 11:29 am

There are 2 issues here.

First do I worry about dying? The answer is NO. Dying is a certainty from the moment we are born - why worry about something we have no control over. Anyway it must be easy 'cos millions of people do it without any special training. Your life is finite so the main thing is to enjoy it. Live each day and take something positive into the next day. I am 58 so most definitely nearer the end of my life than the beginning. My main worry about dying is whether I will have enough time to fit in all the things I want to do. The answer is probably not but I will give it a damn good try!!

Secondly do I worry about dying alone? Well as an Aspie I do most things on my own so what's the difference. If there is someone who wants to be with me at the end, that is their choice and that's OK with me, but if not then I will go it alone. I sat and watched my Dad die 3 years ago. I am glad I was there for him.

ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 2:21 pm

I worry about this a lot. I've never been special to anyone, and I can't see it happening now.

IcelandicGuy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2006, 5:18 pm

I worry about this constantly, but again there are a lot of NT´s who die alone too. I´ve got one NT cousin who is 70 years old and has never had a proper relationship.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 8:41 pm

I don't worry about dying alone because I know I'll be talking to myself until the bitter end.

Solidess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2006, 1:18 am

gsilver wrote:
For some reason I have begun to worry about this. I'm 25 and have never had a girlfriend in my life. The older I get the more I am expected to know about how a serious relationship "works", but I have had absolutely no experience in such a thing.

Exactly the same for me too.

Sometimes I worry about it. Not just dying alone for a relationship wise, but sometimes I picture what my funeral would be like, and only my family shows up, and no one knows anything about what I was like. What legacy would I leave the world? Absolutely NOTHING and NO ONE who will cry when I pass away? THAT is what I most worry about. I don't want to feel useless. I want to be well loved, and missed when I die...

But dying alone? HELL NO. I am not going to LET IT happen. I am making that my biggest goal in life, to find a true love. Whether I get married or not is not important to me, I just want love. I want to know what it feels like to not just project my love onto someone else, but to have it shared with me, and what it is like to hold that person, and do things with them, and EVERYTHING....

If I am not meant to experience that in this lifetime than I do not want to live long. I think life would be far too painful for me to live alone for too long. It already plays with my sanity as it is, but not always. there are lots of things that test my sanity and emotions, but not having a boyfriend doesn't help any.

I think we should not beat up on ourselves though for being socially slower. Either we could find a compatible Aspie to be with, or someone else, the right one, who is not taken and understands us - which is supposed to be love anyway. Don't worry about what MOST people and what NORMAL people are doing. People are getting married and having kids now BEFORE 25, or even before 20, and should we care? No. That's THEIR problem, er, blessing, or whatever it happens to be in their case. That sounds way too FAST imo, and not everyone is screwing their classmates in highschool. Some of us were actually getting GRADES.

There will be a chance for all of us to love, I'm sure. If you want it.