Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:12 pm

...The general public sure doesn't. I can't tell you how many times I've had to describe the difference between bass and guitar. I get comments like:

-Man up and move on to a six string guitar!
-Why is there only four strings?
-You're out of tune!
-Bass is useless, you can't even hear it over guitar!
-And there was once this one girl who tried to put me down as "a guitarist who can't take six strings!"

I even show them most times that I can in fact play a guitar or that I can in fact rock with four strings. But still, the public rejects bassists.

/Rant of a bassist

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:26 pm

Well that's just plain and simple ignorance. I think bass is one of the hardest instruments you can play. You need to have such a perceptive ear to be able to fit in with the harmony when you're playing that low. It's so easy to screw up. When you're a good bassist, no one notices, but when you're just a bit off, it's really obvious and people berate you. Basically the good bassists get no credit because they do such a great job of fitting in and no one notices them.

It's funny because people always think piano is hard; it's not that hard, I should know because I play piano for a living.

OMGitsKenny
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:33 pm

The bass is the most underrated instrument. It compliments every other instrument in the band and brings out every aspect of the piece of music just as well as the drummer, guitarist, singer, and anything else thrown in the mix. Just wish people would appreciate bassists more because you guys deserve much more than you get from these "haters".

I am a guitarist myself, but I love hearing someone jam out and shred on a bass guitar. :)

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 8:36 pm

I'm not good at picking out instruments in songs but if that's a bass in Panic Switch by Silversun Pickups that MAKES the song.

True of many other songs. I wish I could think of them now.

EDIT: The High Road by Broken Bells?

BassMan_720
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2011, 9:21 pm

A big cheer for bassists everywhere.

I too can play six string but there is nothing more enjoyable than setting down a good bass groove.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:41 pm

Well, if it makes you feel any better, one of the first things I notice that makes a good track is the bass line. If the bass line doesn't grab my attention, it's usually not a particularly memorable song to me.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2011, 10:16 pm

Many guitarist think they can play bass. They hit the notes, but it doesn't move the song along. When a drummer and a real bass player "lock up" on a song, That's what makes it. Everything else is just dressing it up.
I appreciate a good bass player even more know that I play lap steel because often I can't play the root note of a chord. I need to know the bass player is going to have that there when I need it.
If people ask you why there are only 4 strings, just say. "That's all I need. I'm that f#@*ing good!!"

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:53 am

I HATE it when people say you can't hear the bass over the music. I think most don't even know what the bass sounds like.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6glYZvLe2vo[/youtube]

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 9:11 am

Jonsi wrote:
...The general public sure doesn't. I can't tell you how many times I've had to describe the difference between bass and guitar. I get comments like:

-Man up and move on to a six string guitar!
-Why is there only four strings?
-You're out of tune!
-Bass is useless, you can't even hear it over guitar!
-And there was once this one girl who tried to put me down as "a guitarist who can't take six strings!"

I even show them most times that I can in fact play a guitar or that I can in fact rock with four strings. But still, the public rejects bassists.

/Rant of a bassist

One of the pluses of being a bassist is that bassists are ALWAYS in need. There is like 1 Bassist for every 12 guitarists. Everyone plays the guitar. Tell them it's way cooler to play a more unique instrument. Next point, Bass doesn't have to be 4 stringed. I've even seen 12 stringed bass. Now buy one of these monsters and shred their pathetic arguments (There are also basses of less strings like 8 you can get).

The one thing with bass is that youve got to have an amp otherwise it's worthless. unless it's an acoustic bass.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 9:16 am

Jonsi wrote:

/Rant of a bassist

That's because the public sucks... I'd really like to learn the bass.

Matt Freeman and Kim Deal are my heroes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm8C43iXKjI&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgpFA3PSFQc[/youtube]

Anamnesis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2011, 9:24 am

The public sucks. Also, if you want to stop the comments, do what I did and upgrade to a 5-string (or 6-string) bass. They also add a lot of tonal variety and allow you to do a few things you can't do on a 4-string bass (easy 2-octave sweeps. Yes, I mostly play metal. But hey, it can be used elsewhere!). As for the stupid people who think that a bass is a failed guitar should be met with this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teZbA14ZSTA[/youtube]

The starting melody is playable on a 4-string bass, too. 6-string makes it a lot easier to play, though. And it definitely shows how versatile a bass is compared to a guitar...and more fun to play, too. (I play both)

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 3:50 pm

Chummy wrote:
Next point, Bass doesn't have to be 4 stringed. I've even seen 12 stringed bass. Now buy one of these monsters and shred their pathetic arguments.

I play a seven stringer occasionally. :P I used to take it out at gigs, but people started asking where the eff the bassist was. :D

Edit; I sold that bass guitar a week ago though. I put the money toward a baritone ukulele.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 6:10 pm

Jonsi wrote:
...-Bass is useless, you can't even hear it over guitar!

I

Useless?!?!?! :o The bass line is the beating heart of the song. It beats steady and strong. Like a heartbeat, you sometimes might not even realize its' reassuring pulse is still going steady but you sure miss it when it stops!

Bass :heart:

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 7:30 pm

You know what, this song speaks for itself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_c0Q5IRets[/youtube]

I remember before ever hearing this solo that I thought bassists were useless (give me a break, I was 10). I thought all they did was just stand in the background and play along to whatever the guitarist did. Then I heard this song and was blown away. Got my bass 8 years later and have found I have a hell of a lot more fun on the bass then the guitar.

\m/ RIP Cliff \m/

Katatonic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 7:32 pm

Jonsi wrote:
Chummy wrote:
Next point, Bass doesn't have to be 4 stringed. I've even seen 12 stringed bass. Now buy one of these monsters and shred their pathetic arguments.

I play a seven stringer occasionally. :P I used to take it out at gigs, but people started asking where the eff the bassist was. :D

Edit; I sold that bass guitar a week ago though. I put the money toward a baritone ukulele.

5 strings is as high as I go. I've played a 6 string and that was enough for me. 12 would be insane. You'd have to have spider fingers. My fingers are fat and stubby so 4 strings is JUST fine lol

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 8:07 pm

Katatonic wrote:
Jonsi wrote:
Chummy wrote:

5 strings is as high as I go. I've played a 6 string and that was enough for me. 12 would be insane. You'd have to have spider fingers. My fingers are fat and stubby so 4 strings is JUST fine lol
I've seen a twenty string bass. Twenty! That's a full grand piano in guitar form! I'd love to have one if I could though. I'm a sucker extra range.