Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

cyberfox007
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2011, 12:50 pm

Is anyone out there crazy about photogrpahy? i caught the shutter bug many years ago and i have been hooked ever since. i even have a my own online photo gallery located here

I consider myself a serious amateur and i wanna keep it that way. My camera of choise is Canon and i am crazy for all things the company makes (except their printers which ALWAYS broke down on me, get HP printers MUCH better).

Here are my tools of the trade

-Cameras
Canon PowerShot SD880 IS
Canon PowerShot SX1 IS

-Flash
Canon Speedlite 430EX II

I wanna hear from other shutter bugs what camera they use and any accessories they use in their photogrpahy

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 2:49 pm

once upon a time......i have a collection of b/w infrared high contrast photos taken in the galopagos, tanzania, morocco, macchu picchu, etc. these were done with nikon film cameras and long nights spent in a bathroom darkroom.

had a few published, but nothing sold to widely distributed media outlets.

a serious accident ended my travels and i haven't touched the cameras in many years. have not purchased a digital camera.....i remember when low quality digital photos just sucked. with new equipment like yours, photos with the quality of large format film cameras is possible with ease. you've entered the hobby at the right time.

the trick is......always have your cameras with you, you never know when the right shot will appear.

keep shooting.

ViewUpHere
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2011, 3:32 pm

I can honestly say I'm crazy about photography, too. I bought into the Canon line in the mid 90's, and have stuck with it ever since. Too many lenses to switch now, anyway. The cost would be prohibitive. I started out with 35mm film, quickly got into large format, and eventually went digital. I happily sold my 35mm bodies, but just can't bear to part with good large format gear. I haven't exposed a negative in well over a year, though, so I'm probably deluding myself about using the stuff again. Still, there's nothing quite like looking at an image on a ground glass. It's like instant meditation.

For me it's still a hobby, but it's one I'm increasingly trying to make pay for itself. New glass is just too darned expensive. I've sold some prints, and have unfortunately a very tiny number of photos listed with a stock photography agency. Still, every little bit helps.

I used to have a Canon body I used for infrared film photography. It had the old-school sprocket wheel instead of the infrared sprocket hole counters the newer Canon film bodies had. I don't know how many rolls of HIE I ran through it. There was a pang of regret when I sold it along with all the other 35mm bodies, but I'm glad I sent it on its way. I've done some IR using digital cameras, and it's much MUCH more friendly. I still don't own any IR converted digital cameras, but the amount of leak through the IR blocking filters on some of my cameras is enough to make it workable with long exposure times.

I'll second danandlouie's trick of always having your camera with you. But I'll stick in an addendum: Make sure the people you're with know that you do photography. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing an outstanding landscape, grabbing your camera gear, and hearing the driver say, "Well that was pretty. Anyway, let's move on." WAAAIT!!

Nebulo
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 6:48 pm

Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 40D

Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM
Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
Canon 1.4x extender

2x Canon 580 ex II

Next purchase= Hopefully underwater housing. That one's gonna hurt the wallet for a LONG time...

There's something to be said for traveling on your own in a car to the locations you want to go yourself. I've taken a fair few trips through several countries that have allowed for completely solitary and incredibly enjoyable experiences with my cameras. One thing I truly enjoy is wildlife photography, you practically HAVE to be alone and in beautiful locations in order to get the best possible shots.