Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

robin45
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2011, 3:06 pm

Has the earth ever been visited by extraterrestrials. If this has occurred it would have probably been before humans existed. Their technology would be way advanced. I believe that microbal life is common place in the Milky Way galaxy and nearly every other galaxy but complex life much more rare. Even so I think there are possiblily millions of advanced civilisations out there possibly a few even in our own galaxy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 3:40 pm

The science adviser to president Eisenhower said "either we are alone in the universe, or we are not alone in the universe. Either way its mind boggling."

It took earth three billion years to get form bacteria to ameobas ( primitive microbes to advanced microbes). Then a billion years later came the Cambrian explosion when we vaulted from advanced microbes to sponges and jellyfish. So even among the tiny percentage of solar systems that have life probably only one in a hundred get beyond the bacteria stage.

But its a big universe out there with a hundred billion stars to a galaxy. So even with such huge odds against any life, against mulicellular life, and againt intelligent life evolving at any one location- the odds are that there must be life, complex life, and even intelligent life out there. But even if there maybe advanced civilizations beyond earth- and there could be thousands or more even in our own galaxy, the odds are that they are extremely far apart and unable to contact each other.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 3:46 pm

the building blocks of life have been found many places across the observable universe, though all discoveries i know of only exist in deep space nebulae, making life a bit unfeasible there, but since star systems are made from nebulae it does sound promising considering how many goldielock planets we keep finding every tear.

how to probe them for life is another matter entirely.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 5:00 pm

robin45 wrote:
Has the earth ever been visited by extraterrestrials. If this has occurred it would have probably been before humans existed. Their technology would be way advanced. I believe that microbal life is common place in the Milky Way galaxy and nearly every other galaxy but complex life much more rare. Even so I think there are possiblily millions of advanced civilisations out there possibly a few even in our own galaxy.

There is no evidence to support that supposition. From what star would they have come? There is not reason to suppose intelligent E.T.s can surpass the speed of light any more than we can.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 5:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The science adviser to president Eisenhower said "either we are alone in the universe, or we are not alone in the universe. Either way its mind boggling."

It took earth three billion years to get form bacteria to ameobas ( primitive microbes to advanced microbes). Then a billion years later came the Cambrian explosion when we vaulted from advanced microbes to sponges and jellyfish. So even among the tiny percentage of solar systems that have life probably only one in a hundred get beyond the bacteria stage.

But its a big universe out there with a hundred billion stars to a galaxy. So even with such huge odds against any life, against mulicellular life, and againt intelligent life evolving at any one location- the odds are that there must be life, complex life, and even intelligent life out there. But even if there maybe advanced civilizations beyond earth- and there could be thousands or more even in our own galaxy, the odds are that they are extremely far apart and unable to contact each other.

That there are other planets with life on them if very plausible. But the is no reason to assume that such life is anything like ours.

ruveyn

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 5:50 pm

The answer to this question is not known. It can only be speculated. It would be foolish to strictly believe we were the only life in this Universe. Yet it would also be foolish to immediately accept that there is complex, extraterrestrial life which I have not found one piece of irrefutable evidence.

Yet you have to wonder. We have one life form on our planet that can survive the vacuum of space. The Water Bear

If I had to bet if there was life or if there was not on other planets then I would bet there is life.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 6:47 pm

Maybe. Earth is a deceptively comfortable place; most of the universe is too hellish for life to thrive. But I can imagine replicator molecules forming on many planets, and from that, life, of some form.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 6:56 pm

robin45 wrote:
Has the earth ever been visited by extraterrestrials.

There is no valid material evidence to answer this question truthfully, one way or the other.
robin45 wrote:
If this has occurred it would have probably been before humans existed.

Why?
robin45 wrote:
Their technology would be way advanced.

Evidence, please? Just because we don't know any alien civilizations, it does not necessarily follow that they would be any more advanced than we are.
robin45 wrote:
I believe...

a. Faith is the belief in unprovable ideas.
b. Belief in extraterrestrial civilizations is currently unprovable.
:: Belief in extraterrestrial civilizations is strictly a matter of faith.
robin45 wrote:
Even so I think there are possibly millions of advanced civilizations out there possibly a few even in our own galaxy.

Opinions are nice; most people have them. Too bad that an opinion is only an opinion, and not a valid claim of fact.

Nice try, kid; but I've been around this tree before.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 1:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
robin45 wrote:
Has the earth ever been visited by extraterrestrials.

There is no valid material evidence to answer this question truthfully, one way or the other.
robin45 wrote:
If this has occurred it would have probably been before humans existed.

Why?
robin45 wrote:
Their technology would be way advanced.

Evidence, please? Just because we don't know any alien civilizations, it does not necessarily follow that they would be any more advanced than we are.
robin45 wrote:
I believe...

Well. If he's saying that if they visited earth then they mustve been technologically advanced then its not only logical, its practically a tautalogy. Alien astronauts capable of an intersteller voyage to earth would have to be advanced. The trouble is its hard to tell what hes saying.

robin45
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2011, 2:51 pm

Being abit of a science geek I know the theory is there but getting actual evidence is the hard bit. It is impossible to reach the speed of light because this would take all the energy in the universe to accelerate a spacecraft. If a spacecraft could go into hyperspace, the speed of light becomes much higher, less fuel is needed and when it goes back into normal space it would have travelled alot further. It would be possible for aliens who have very long life expectancies to travel across the cosmos at much lower speed say 10% of the speed of life with very advanced technology. It was thought impossible for man to go to the moon but it was achieved so best to keep an open mind. You want proof. I can't give you proof but why do subatomic particle travel in time. They can suddenly pop into existance and then disappear again. There is prove of faster than light communication. It involves a particle anti-particle pair. One particle travels of in one direction and the other in another direction. If you do something to particle "a" then particle "b" immediately does the same thing instantaneously. I don't believe or disbelieve that aliens have visited Earth in the past but have said that I believe it is possible. If I had a valid facts on this then I'd probably receive a noble prize.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 5:28 pm

Anyone who says that we are alone in the universe is a total moron. Look at all that space. It's ridiculous.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U[/youtube]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 8:57 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Anyone who says that we are alone in the universe is a total moron. Look at all that space. It's ridiculous.

Just because the Cosmos is big does not mean it is occupied. However, I find the notion that Earth is the only life bearing planet to be quite implausible. If the chemistry is right, life will happen.

BUT ..... it need not be intelligent life.

ruveyn

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 9:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
... Well. If he's saying that if they visited earth then they mustve been technologically advanced then its not only logical, its practically a tautalogy. Alien astronauts capable of an intersteller voyage to earth would have to be advanced. The trouble is its hard to tell what hes saying.

The lack of evidence to support any such claims for extraterrestrial visitation makes the tautology irrelevant.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2011, 9:07 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Anyone who says that we are alone in the universe is a total moron.

This is an example of Poisoning the Well (a fallacy of logic), in which adverse information about an opposing view is pre-emptively presented to an audience with the intention of discrediting or ridiculing everything that the opposition might have to say.
SammichEater wrote:
It's ridiculous.

This is an example of a Argument From Incredulity (a fallacy of informal logic), in which a claim is assumed to be valid only because the person making the claim considers any alternatives to be "ridiculous". This is similar to positing an Argument from Ignorance in that it too ignores and does not properly eliminate the possibility that something can be incredible and yet still be true,

Grade: Fail

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 4:20 am

ruveyn wrote:
SammichEater wrote:

Just because the Cosmos is big does not mean it is occupied. However, I find the notion that Earth is the only life bearing planet to be quite implausible. If the chemistry is right, life will happen.

BUT ..... it need not be intelligent life.

ruveyn

I agree with you completely.
Was not there a planet that was thought to support life?
Was it a moon or something?
It was full of what looked like ice.
I'l see if I can find the Nasa video
Gliese 581g
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nj6ABUFUu_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 3:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
Anyone who says that we are alone in the universe is a total moron.

This is an example of Poisoning the Well (a fallacy of logic), in which adverse information about an opposing view is pre-emptively presented to an audience with the intention of discrediting or ridiculing everything that the opposition might have to say.
SammichEater wrote:
It's ridiculous.

This is an example of a Argument From Incredulity (a fallacy of informal logic), in which a claim is assumed to be valid only because the person making the claim considers any alternatives to be "ridiculous". This is similar to positing an Argument from Ignorance in that it too ignores and does not properly eliminate the possibility that something can be incredible and yet still be true,

Grade: Fail

Nice copy and paste from Wikipedia.

Grade: expelled for plagiarism

Now, as I was saying, While yes the probability of a planet supporting life is very small, I think people really don't understand just how close to infinite the universe really is. As Einstein once said, "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

I mean seriously. There are billions of stars within a galaxy. There are billions of galaxies within our universe. Our universe appears to go on forever in all directions. And there may be even more universes.

Even if there's only intelligent life on one in every 100 billion star systems, that's about one or two intelligent life forms in each of the billions of galaxies.

Just because we haven't made contact with aliens doesn't mean that they don't exist. We've only been able to send out radio signals to maybe 2% at most of of our own galaxy within the past 70 something years.