Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

matt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

Not understanding the point of doing things the way that was instructed.

When I was in school, especially in math classes, I could often reliably come up with solutions to problems of a particular type and either not explain how I solved the problem(like it would just come to me) or I would come up with an alternate way that seemed to be a better way to solve the problem.

Some teachers accepted this, but that was not common. It was often better when they did not, because the method that was used to come to a solution was often expanded on in higher levels of math.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 10:49 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Or as a teenager, not having the coordination to learn how to type despite working at it...I also eventually learned how to type really well.

I actually took a typing course and I failed it in highschool. I've been using computers for eons and at work and I still finger type! I have a similar problem when taking messages from the phone and writing them down at work. I think I have a gap/memory block when switching from verbal system to motor system? It makes my work-life very difficult because I'm afraid of picking up the phone.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Jun 2011, 10:51 pm

Kon wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Or as a teenager, not having the coordination to learn how to type despite working at it...I also eventually learned how to type really well.

I actually took a typing course and I failed it in highschool. I've been using computers for eons and at work and I still finger type! I have a similar problem when taking messages from the phone and writing them down at work. I think I have a gap/memory block when switching from verbal system to motor system? It makes my work-life very difficult because I'm afraid of picking up the phone.

Yeah, I just couldn't connect my brain to the typewriter. I learned to do the two-finger hunt and peck thing on computers over the next few years, though, so when I finally learned how to touch-type, that probably helped a lot.

I really do not love talking, though. I'd prefer to communicate entirely in text.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 11:35 pm

I had trouble with anything involving abstract reasoning. Also, it can be difficult for me to follow the instructions. I often manage to skip steps or misinterpret them.

Slow/clumsy handwriting can also hinder performance, especially if your mind thinks way ahead of your writing speed. I find that I also can get so caught up in the form of the writing itself that I forget what I was trying to convey in first place.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2011, 11:47 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
First of all, this is not a personal question. This question is not a "what are your personal difficulties with academics?" You are free to tell me if you want, but I am really just asking in general:

What are usual, common academic difficulties people with high functioning autism tend to experience? (Yes, I know not all share the same ones...I am just looking for general information of what a child or an adult with autism might have difficulty with due to their autism alone.)

All the way through high school and college I was ahead on my favorite subjects (math and physics) and average on everything else. I only started having academic difficulties in graduate school because some of the physics concepts seemed a lot more abstract than the ones I encountered before. I don't know how relevant it is to Asperger. When they say aspies have problems with studying abstract concepts, they are probably referring to high school, not graduate school.

I guess the only thing that IS clearly related to Asperger is the fact that I wasn't flexible enough. I mean, MOST of the grad school physics is fine with me; I only had problems with some specific areas of physics. So it was pretty fullish of me to insist doing the one kind of physics I have trouble with instead of switching to some other area of physics where I can get phd reasonably fast and then come back to the "difficult" area of physics later on. So that kind of persistance IS probably related to Asperger.

Jumla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jun 2011, 4:13 am

littlelily613 wrote:
I can completely relate to this. I went for a meeting a couple days ago, and the person in the office was actually quite rude to me. She clearly has a bias against Aspergers students, and would have been more openminded if my official diagnosis was autism instead. I did manage to get a private exam room, but that is all. She said she doesn't see a need to accommodate me for anything also because my grades are quite good. Yes, my grades ARE quite good; however, they are not my highest potential. I score less than I could be because of my disability. I have a lot of sensory issues and need extra time on exams. She refused to give me that. I took a transfer credit at another school last winter. They, without hesitation, gave me time and a half. I completed the exam strongly, and it took me the entire 4 1/2 hours to do so. Had I only been given 3 hours I would have failed. This is because I was in a smaller room (rather than a private one), with someone who coughed incessently. I found it really loud, and could not adequately collect my thoughts until he left. If I hadn't had the extra time, I would not have even been half finished. I also sometimes need extra time on assignments, but not always. And I need considerations to be taken into account when evaluating my participation mark. The woman was very rude and denied that I needed anything at all but a private room. I am really very frustrated right now. I was planning on going to this school for my Masters as well, but if they cannot accommodate me, well, a Masters is only going to be even more difficult, so I may have to look elsewhere.

Run, Little Lily. Seriously, run as fast as you can to another college with a disability office willing to listen to you. If I had any inkling of the things I would be put through as a result of my having AS, I would never have gone to the place where I went (and trust me, the things I have mentioned in relation to my experiences are only the very tip of the iceberg).