Page 5 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LadyMcBeth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2006, 7:41 pm

Wow, you seem so full of anger. Seperation of church and state is so that the government can't force you to belong to one particular religion it isn't to deny the existence of GOD. That is just what people who are lost and don't understand the need for God fall back on. Actually its the liberal agenda. I really can't see why it upsets people to say the word God more so than any other word(especially if you don't believe HE exists) It doesn't enrage me to say the word budda I don't pray to him don't believe in him.You could just not say that part of the pledge but I suspect that wouldn't make you happy either GOD BLESS

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

22 Aug 2006, 7:47 pm

LadyMcBeth wrote:
Wow, you seem so full of anger. Seperation of church and state is so that the government can't force you to belong to one particular religion it isn't to deny the existence of GOD. That is just what people who are lost and don't understand the need for God fall back on. Actually its the liberal agenda. I really can't see why it upsets people to say the word God more so than any other word(especially if you don't believe HE exists) It doesn't enrage me to say the word budda I don't pray to him don't believe in him.You could just not say that part of the pledge but I suspect that wouldn't make you happy either GOD BLESS

No, the purpose of Seperation of Church and State is to say that the government cannot give preference to any one religion. I suggest you study your history more. It means that the government is supposed to be entirely secular with NO religious elements.

As for 'enraging me to say god,' I suspect that you would be much more touchy about your religion if you daily had to pay lip-service to Buddha, whether you believed in him or not.

LadyMcBeth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2006, 8:02 pm

SolaCatella wrote:
LadyMcBeth wrote:

No, the purpose of Seperation of Church and State is to say that the government cannot give preference to any one religion. I suggest you study your history more. It means that the government is supposed to be entirely secular with NO religious elements.

As for 'enraging me to say god,' I suspect that you would be much more touchy about your religion if you daily had to pay lip-service to Buddha, whether you believed in him or not.

No I wouldn't like to pay lip-service to budda but God can mean budda but budda can't mean GOD. Thomas Jeffersons seperation of church and state came about because Great Britain had a mandated state church and thats why our forefathers left and started a new nation for religious freedom, you have to be careful because a lot of todays learning institutions are indoctrinating people to forget about GOD and in my oppinion that is why this country is in a mess but it is still the best place in the whole world to live

disneyhound
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2006, 8:05 pm

LadyMcBeth wrote:
...Seperation of church and state is so that the government can't force you to belong to one particular religion it isn't to deny the existence of GOD...

Actually, the "Separation Clause" was intended to prevent the creation of a "State Religion". Many of our "Country's Founders" were "British citizens" from the "Empire"; they resented terribly the power of The "Church of England". They never had the intention of "Separating the State from Religion"; hence "Freedom of Religion", not "Freedom from Religion".

LadyMcBeth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2006, 8:07 pm

disneyhound wrote:
LadyMcBeth wrote:
...Seperation of church and state is so that the government can't force you to belong to one particular religion it isn't to deny the existence of GOD...

Actually, the "Separation Clause" was intended to prevent the creation of a "State Religion". Many of our "Country's Founders" were "British citizens" from the "Empire"; they resented terribly the power of The "Church of England". They never had the intention of "Separating the State from Religion"; hence "Freedom of Religion", not "Freedom from Religion".

Thank you! You said that so much better than me :D

LadyMcBeth
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2006, 8:19 pm

disneyhound, cute dog by the way, we have one he is sweet. :)

disneyhound
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2006, 8:31 pm

LadyMcBeth wrote:
disneyhound, cute dog by the way, we have one he is sweet. :)

I wish I could claim credit for this canine-crime-fighter, but alas, he belongs to no man...

sigholdaccountlost
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 7:53 am

LadyMcBeth wrote:
SolaCatella wrote:
LadyMcBeth wrote:

I think we may want to move this to the phisolphy/political/religon forum.

No I wouldn't like to pay lip-service to budda but God can mean budda but budda can't mean GOD. Thomas Jeffersons seperation of church and state came about because Great Britain had a mandated state church and thats why our forefathers left and started a new nation for religious freedom, you have to be careful because a lot of todays learning institutions are indoctrinating people to forget about GOD and in my oppinion that is why this country is in a mess but it is still the best place in the whole world to live

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 10:21 am

SolaCatella wrote:
LadyMcBeth wrote:
Sola wrote:
I'm not offended by religion either, but I want it the hell out of my government. I really resent having to stand up and pledge allegience to God every frikkin' morning at school, for one thing.

You might want to quit resenting saying the pledge every morning and listen to the words, nowhere do we pledge allegiance to GOD its to our country, One nation under God. And this country and what it stands for is what gives you and me the right to say what ever we want nomatter who disagrees with it.

All right, I resent having to say 'under God' when I do not in fact believe that any such creature exists. Does that make you feel better? And for the record, I don't have another choice. At the school I go to, the Pledge is mandatory every single morning, and I know that my parents (who are Catholic, as I said earlier) would not support me in this.

I'm not disagreeing with your right to say the Pledge as it is currently written. I'm disagreeing that governments should give preference to any religion, which by the way is forbidden by a little thing called the Seperation of State and Church (and yes, the way the Pledge is currently written, it gives a preference for monotheistic religions) and particularly disagreeing that I be mandated to swear an oath that involves my speaking as if I believe a god exists.

Hey, I'd be thrilled if it were the original Pledge that were instituted in the US! I just do not like the 'under God' clause.

No saying under God doesn't mean that at all. You don't have say it. No one forced you anyway.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 10:39 am

LadyMcBeth wrote:
SolaCatella wrote:
LadyMcBeth wrote:

No no God doesn't mean Budda. All the fuss over it and with the Ten Commandments its all about this. No one can really seperate Chruch from State. Meaning that there are Christians in this Government of ours. I'm not going to have any lip service to budda. All this fighthing to keep Christians from praying in school outloud. I think that is in a way restricting the Freedom of Religion. No other religion has been hated as hard as Christianity. All the world loves these other religions and they don't give a rip how hard that they are harrass my religion.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 11:26 am

here's my contribution to this thread. religion is BS, i don't believe any of the bible since the old testement ripped off alot of earlier writings especially from the sumerians, and turned it into there own. and i don't believe the new testement either, since more than likely when jesus's apostles were around him they didn't have a pen and paper copying down his every words, if i remember correctly the new testement was written 70 years after jesus's death. Oh yeah and there's other things like in the new testement when someone was thought to be demon possessed more than likely what they were really suffering from was epilepsy, and not demon possession.

people made god, god didn't make people. humans brains are so complex that they need to think like there's a "god" and an order to things and that god created them. they just can't accept or believe that, more than likely our ansestors evolved bigger brains once protein was introduced into our diet and therefore we became smarter. i believe our existance is a combination of luck of the draw, circumstances, and evolution.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 6:19 pm

LadyMcBeth wrote:
You might want to read the story of Noah again Noah was 500 years old when he had his kids and 600 years old when the ark was finished and the flood came. I believe anyone could build and ark in 100 years but the Bible say Noah walked with God so even better! Common sense would also say his 3 sons helped him. Familys worked together back then.
Actually my dear the bible ripped off the sumarian flood story. here read it for yourself

http://en.wikipedia.org./wiki/Utnapishtim

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 7:16 pm

No it didn't rip off the someother story. You are wrong. The Bible hasn't ripped anything. You are doing badly done reaserch. The Bible is scared to me. I would like your sig to change its insulting and offensive.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 7:23 pm

Why can't we let this topic die. We aren't going any where. Seems like we are going in circles. No one is going to change any mind as much as I try.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2006, 7:48 pm

Bad reserch? the sumerians were the first recorded civilization on record dude. that means they were before the jews, the christains, the egyptians, the babylonians and the indians. they made the first written language, and the first spoken language and just about everything else. google the word sumerians, dumbass. im not as easily suckerd into a BS religion like you are especially when the jews ripped off the sumerians flood story. and god knows what else

disneyhound
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Aug 2006, 8:51 pm

TigerFire wrote:
Why can't we let this topic die. We aren't going any where. Seems like we are going in circles. No one is going to change any mind as much as I try.

You might be right; I wanted to know how Wrong Planet's population relates to religion as compared to myself. Do others possess my limited ability to accept faith, the nonsensical. Or my uneasy feelings towards organized religion. Is this an aspie trait?

No one is going to change my mind either. No one who "believes" their religion is the "truth" is likely to compromise! I am sorry this has turned into, "no my religion is right!"