Page 4 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 4:56 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
currently own a 1999 lexus ls400 that i love. i also semi-regularly drive a 1990 toyota camry that was once mine but is now shared with my sister.

when i get the money and garage space i'd love to pick up an old 70s barge, like a cadillac eldorado or lincoln mark IV or V. :skull:

those things are boats that won't fit into modern parking spaces, you'll need to take up two. plus they weren't especially comfortable compared to what you are driving now, and I so [nicely] envy you your top lexus :bounce:

thank you i know they are long,,,but looks like s lot of modern trucks are just as long and if they can get by then dammit i can too...in which way were they not very comfortable?

trucks have the advantage of an elevated driving position to better see and maneuver around all the obstructions [other traffic]. and with the exception of the air-suspended 90s Lincoln Towncar [which literally rode like it was on air over the worst bumps] those big ol' A body caddies and 70s/80s big Lincolns had either a superficially soft suspension [relatively stiff springs softened with big absorbent rubber bushings] that filtered out routine road rash but when confronted by a big bump/rut/pothole, would just about jolt your spine up into your sternum unless you crept over the bump/rut/pothole], or [Chrysler Imperial/New Yorker et al] a boat-like super-gooey suspension that was underdamped [on top of low spring rate coils] and sure the big bumps would feel soft enough but you'd be going BOINGBOINGBOING :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: for the next several hundred feet or so, inducing seasickness, going around corners felt just like doing so in a boat on the water. IOW insufficient body control. remember that a suspension's first job is to keep the tires in solid contact with the road, everything else is gravy. these latter cars would have screechy tires going around corners at anything above a crawl, the suspension couldn't keep the rubber in contact with the road so they had the gravy but not the fundamentals. the air-suspended lincolns cost a fortune to maintain those air suspension components, most have in fact had the stuff torn out and replaced with medium-rate springs/struts or shocks, and do not ride spectacularly well compared to a typical older Mercedes sedan, not to mention a Citroen. the caddies and standard suspension older Lincolns also tend to have worn suspension bushings meaning the ride becomes notably stiffer than when new and also rattily over bumps, these must be replaced with equivalents for safety alone in addition to restoring their smooth-road ride. your Lexus rides WORLDS better that that old Detroit pig-iron, and you can take that to the bank!

Last edited by auntblabby on 28 Aug 2018, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

WallflowerAsparagus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 5:12 am

One!
:heart: 2003 silver Volkswagen Beetle called Ramone. :heart:

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 156 of 200.
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 56 of 200.
RAADS-R score: 175.0
Artist | INFJ-T | heterodemisexual.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 5:20 am

I love the styling and ergonomics of those new beetles, wish I could have driven one.

Landyandy
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Aug 2018, 12:02 pm

I actually would like a car though. An old fashioned Landrover, with a border collie in the back.[/quote]

I can atest to the virtues of Landy ownership, but a collie .....surely not :)

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 4:32 am

Just one. An old 1994 Mazda 323 Astina, the kind with the pop-up lights. A lot of it needs fixing/respraying due to it being parked out in the Australian sun for two years.

Plus I need new engine mounts and brakes. It's never-ending.

Landyandy
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Sep 2018, 2:34 am

renaeden wrote:
Just one. An old 1994 Mazda 323 Astina, the kind with the pop-up lights. A lot of it needs fixing/respraying due to it being parked out in the Australian sun for two years.
>>>>> A constant pain in the butt, even the white paint on the roof of my defender is peeling and that is white!!

Plus I need new engine mounts and brakes. It's never-ending.

>>>>>If you have a jack and some sockets you should be able to knock out the engine mounts yourself and the brakes should be no bother if you look on you tube for a vid :D

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2018, 2:44 am

0, I don't even have a drivers licence, still just a permit...I've just been waiting till I can possibly afford any kind of vehicle to upgrade from the permit to a licence just don't see the point in doing so before I can even afford a car.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2018, 2:51 am

it is recommended that you get the license while you can. it serves also as an ID should such be required.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2018, 2:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
it is recommended that you get the license while you can. it serves also as an ID should such be required.

Well I can get a licence whenever, the last time I thought of just getting an ID but they said I should just renew the permit because it would make it easier to get a license when I am able to do that. But yeah as I am well over 18 all I'd have to do to get a licence is take a driving test.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2018, 4:22 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Well I can get a licence whenever, the last time I thought of just getting an ID but they said I should just renew the permit because it would make it easier to get a license when I am able to do that. But yeah as I am well over 18 all I'd have to do to get a licence is take a driving test.

if your state is not real-ID-compliant, your driver's license acquisition gets a bit more complicated, you may [if you wish to fly or enter a federal installation] have to get an "enhanced driver's license" which will cost more. my state on principal is refusing the requirements of the real-id act so it is like this here.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 2:58 pm

I have two of the 3-cylinder cars built from Mk II Suzuki Swifts and sold by GM to beat CAFE taxes in the early 90s. I'm driving the automatic 4-door now, but I used it to find a 5-speed coupe I'm fixing up to get even better mileage. They are just modern enough for easy starting, etc, but simple enough to fix at home, as well as being about the only thing available under a ton in weight. This year, I built a camper interior that fits either model, and would let me stay in the car for days of rain and still emerge ready for a job interview.
I think that all land vehicles that weigh more than their average payload are an abomination, so my other vehicle is a prototype velomobile, and I may build a motorized version. The biggest innovation in them is an integrated frame and suspension system that the big companies are still struggling toward. https://www.compositesworld.com/columns ... le-history
I also own two bicycles. One I bought new in '77, and now have over 100,000 km on it. The other is a collectible electric bike I use for rough roads, and may restore to work with power again.
I had a car as a "go away present" from my father, but used only a bicycle for much of my adult life. By ignoring status cues, I now drive economical, reliable cars for less than $200 PA for parts and depreciation. However, I still have to ride the bike on useless errands to stay healthy. I miss the integrated exercise of bike commuting.

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 11:57 am

None. I want one though. I don't have enough income right now ...

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 12:21 pm

caThar4G wrote:
None. I want one though. I don't have enough income right now ...

I have a friend who owned a house in Ottawa and was completely out of debt at age 29 because he'd never bought a car, using a bicycle instead. If you learn to ride with traffic, it is the fastest way around a downtown, and if you use it to look for your home, job, and shops, you'll be able to do a fine-grained search, and find them all within easy range.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 5:30 pm

I don't own a car, I just use Uber or I rent a car from a discount rental site vroomvroomvroom.ca I can get a car rental for like $40/day. My Capitol one card covers the insurance free. Each time I rent I get a different car that is one year old or newer, much better than any car I would be able to afford. I don't go out that much but it is nice to not be locked into insurance and car payments.

If you go first thing in the morning when the rental car place opens they often dont have the car you ordered and paid for so they give you a free upgrade to a more expensive car. Enterprise even pickd you up and drops you off and they are usually the cheapest.

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2018, 7:43 am

How many do you need?

I have one, a 2009 Honda Civic. That was when I won a 5 year contract with the military. I wanted something that would be reliable and long lasting. And what do you know? It is! It is great that it doesn't have the internet & all that comes with cars these days. How do you drive with all that distraction?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 10:53 am

I lease a 2018 Hyundai Tucson. It's a very "basic" car. No "internet."