Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

fightingalways
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2006, 4:11 pm

Do people look the same to you?

It feels like people dress the same, speak the same. Even the "rebellous" look and act the same as each other. (Goths, Punks, Anime Fans, etc.) How can it truly be nonconformity?
Only older ppl look different to me.

alex
Developer
Developer

21 Aug 2006, 4:17 pm

fightingalways wrote:
Do people look the same to you?

It feels like people dress the same, speak the same. Even the "rebellous" look and act the same as each other. (Goths, Punks, Anime Fans, etc.) How can it truly be nonconformity?
Only older ppl look different to me.

How old are you?

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 5:08 pm

fightingalways wrote:
... Even the "rebellous" look and act the same as each other... (Goths, Punks, Anime Fans, etc.) How can it truly be nonconformity?

Perceptive. But dangerous.

"What are you rebelling against?" "What have you got?" (The Wild One, 1953)

Most rebellions take shape against a society, or something in it, and that can give the rebellion a character, a cohesion, of its own. (see Jaspers, Levi-Strauss)
And tribalism still works. Even in the smaller "rebel" group, the pressures and desires of belonging apply.

The true rebel in "The Wild One" was Lee Marvin's Chino, who did not conform even to the motorcycle gang's "outsider" uniform of biker leathers.

But then, that may be too much an old person's answer for you!

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 6:39 pm

Emettman wrote:
Even in the smaller "rebel" group, the pressures and desires of belonging apply.

That's too true.
I just wear blah clothes instead. I know I look the same as lots of others, but I'd rather look like that "by accident" than because I'm following some sort of rule.
Actually it's kind of hard to look truly different, unless you make your own clothes (which is a good idea, too).

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2006, 7:44 pm

Every one looks like ants. There is so many of everyone. I'd like it more like little house on the praire-where people stood out and were important because there were so few of them.,..

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."