Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Would You Ban People From Your Website Only Because They Are Atheists?
Yes, being an Atheist should always be a bannable offense 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
No, being an Atheist should never be a bannable offense. 91%  91%  [ 29 ]
I don't know / Just show me the results. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 32

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,747
Location: Stendec

14 Jun 2011, 10:34 pm

... would you ban someone for being an Atheist?



rabryst
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 19 May 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 113
Location: Canada

14 Jun 2011, 11:05 pm

How is atheism a bannable offence? It goes against the right to religious freedom.


_________________
If you break a crumb in half, you have two crumbs - George Carlin


Bonobo19
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 3
Location: Ontario

15 Jun 2011, 12:13 am

I can see how atheism could be a bannable offence. If somebody is an atheist that means they are not predisposed to holding silly beliefs based on childhood fairy tales. It may even mean that they are rational. That could be threatening to a lot of people, especially those that are truthphobic and who have hidden agendas, especially those that are only thinly veiled.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,747
Location: Stendec

15 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

In my opinion, people who do not believe arbitrary dogma seem to pose a threat to those who do - generally speaking, of course.

Some have told me that I should keep my questions and beliefs to myself, and to refrain from using reason and logic to determine why people believe as they do. Others have said that there is "obviously" something wrong with me because I do not enjoy long, drawn-out sermons and loud worship services - some have openly accused me of being mentally ill because I don't get caught up in the spirit of the moment. In either case, those same people have suggested that I go elsewhere for church.

I am not an Atheist, but it seems to me that mainstream religionists would like nothing better than to see anyone who doubt, question, or refute their beliefs simply go away and leave them to their exclusive social clubs.

So I wonder how many such people might be present on WP; thus this poll and thread.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Dec 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 756
Location: Baltimore County

15 Jun 2011, 11:05 pm

Considering the nature of PPR, you probably won't find anyone of that sort hereabouts. Not that they aren't out there, cheerfully mistaking style for substance and faith for a social club.


_________________
For men are homesick in their homes,
And strangers under the sun,
And they lay their heads in a foreign land
Whenever the day is done."


blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2011
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,053

15 Jun 2011, 11:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
... would you ban someone for being an Atheist?

What this website would be about? about theology in general or about an specific denomination?
If it is a religious website, what an atheist would be doing there in the first place? Most likely, an atheist there, making an argument against theism, could be regarded as a troll, and either the mods would do something about it or there will be a call for moderators from members.

If it isn't a christian website, but a site for another topic then I don't see why the banning, but then again, if an atheist come up attacking christianity out of the blue, then it is a bit of understandable why he may be regarded as a troll.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,747
Location: Stendec

16 Jun 2011, 9:42 pm

Actually Blu, I think WP is a "Faith-Neutral" website, in that members are not required to declare any specific Theistic belief system (or none at all) to avoid being banned.

I just wonder if there are any members who would ban another member just for being an Atheist if given the opportunity.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,659
Location: Everywhere

16 Jun 2011, 9:48 pm

No, I would not... People have the right to their own beliefs... I would never force anything on anyone...



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,747
Location: Stendec

16 Jun 2011, 9:52 pm

So far, the voting is unanimously against the idea of banning someone only for being an Atheist.

:D


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


91
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,063
Location: Australia

16 Jun 2011, 10:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
In my opinion, people who do not believe arbitrary dogma seem to pose a threat to those who do - generally speaking, of course.


I think we both agree that all people should search for truth and the from a lack of it, comes bad ideas? This view is something quite similar to the views of the earliest philosophers; though some modern ones would disagree.

Fnord wrote:
Some have told me that I should keep my questions and beliefs to myself, and to refrain from using reason and logic to determine why people believe as they do.


Can you define what you mean by reason or logic? What standard are you using?

Fnord wrote:
In either case, those same people have suggested that I go elsewhere for church.


I have been there.


_________________
Life is real ! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal ;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,747
Location: Stendec

16 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

91 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Some have told me that I should keep my questions and beliefs to myself, and to refrain from using reason and logic to determine why people believe as they do.

Can you define what you mean by reason or logic? What standard are you using?

Simply asking "Why?", then describing their answer in terms of fallacies of reason, and then repeating the process. This method is based on the hypothesis that once all of the fallacious claims have been winnowed out, what remains - no matter how illogical - must be their core reason for believing. Unfortunately, most of the core reasons seem to fall into one of two broad categories: "I believe it because it's true; if it weren't true, then I wouldn't believe it" and "I just believe, and that's enough reason for me."

Other examples:

"Why do you believe?"
"Millions of others believe as I do, so there must be something to it!"
(Fallacy of Appeal to Popularity)

"Why do you believe?"
"Non-believers are sent to Hell!"
(Fallacy of Appeal to Consequences)

"Why do you believe?"
"No one has proven my belief invalid!"
(Fallacy of Appeal to Ignorance)

"Why do you believe?"
"Ancient believers knew what they were writing about!"
(Fallacy of Appeal to Antiquity)


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


91
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,063
Location: Australia

16 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

@Fnord
The issue is that truth and epistemology are not necessarily the same thing. One deals with the truth of the matter and the other, our warrant for believing in it. On what basis would you say someone is justified in believing in something?


_________________
Life is real ! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal ;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.


Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Age: 76
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,985

17 Jun 2011, 8:51 am

Why would one ban atheists - or Unitarians or Bektashis or Whigs or philatelists - unless it is explicitly a site for Doukhobors, say?

I would ban the deliberately offensive - which in no way relates to one beliefs or interests.



you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 755
Location: Cornwall, UK

17 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

Absolutely. I tried atheism a few years ago. It gave me cancer and caused my testicles to fall off. Retinoblastoma and infertility at 19 isn't normal -- but on atheism it is.

Atheism. Not even once.

.


_________________
"There is no idea, however ancient and absurd, that is not capable of improving our knowledge."


iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,257
Location: 0.5 Galactic radius

17 Jun 2011, 4:18 pm

No, who else would I talk about space with? Most Christians aren't really that interested, aside from a few that I know personally and only a few of the astronauts.