Page 3 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 6:52 pm

Watch the bandits....that is how I feel. But, don't judge me until you watch the movie.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

marshall wrote:
I've had my car broken into before. Replacing the broken glass was more expensive and annoying than the stolen item itself. Such a waste. I learned my lesson to never leave anything of value in plain sight, even when you're parked out in the middle of nowhere at some secluded campground or trail head.

Standard practice in Kwambuni [name changed to avoid suits, among other]: You park the car. You lock it. You leave it OBVIOUSLY empty. You open the glove compartment to show that THAT is empty. Any electronic equipment you carry with.

Amusing tragic story - visiting Kwambuni one year, a geologist. Collects samples. Research over, team comes in to Eauville to catch the next plane out. Park on the busy street. Leave suitcases containing researcher's clothes and rock samples in car. Gone 15 minutes. Come back - suitcases gone. Friends supplemented researcher's wardrobe, but months of rocks gone.

Me, I try to imagine the look on the thieves' faces when they got it open.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:07 pm

Philologos wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Today, my wife's car was ransacked and some of our possessions stolen. I want to obliterate the universe. Does anyone think that theft is acceptable?

On a more serious note - wanting neither to belittle nor to overplay your righteous indignation and sense of violation - years ago in a foreign land I was set upon by a gang of thugs armed with machetes [shortbladed local versions, fortunately]. Shortening a long - endless - experience, I got out of it alive but with three good and freely bleeding cuts on the head.

At best they could MAYBE have gotten about the equivalent of $20 - junior Linguistic faculty do not have stuffed wallets. In fact, all I lost besides blood and a smashed earpiece on my glasses was a folding umbrella I dropped - and I suspect soebody other than the attackers got that.

As you say, not the brightest. Some of us are in little danger from INTELLIGENT criminals.

Wow, that really stinks.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:11 pm

Philologos wrote:
marshall wrote:
I've had my car broken into before. Replacing the broken glass was more expensive and annoying than the stolen item itself. Such a waste. I learned my lesson to never leave anything of value in plain sight, even when you're parked out in the middle of nowhere at some secluded campground or trail head.

Standard practice in Kwambuni [name changed to avoid suits, among other]: You park the car. You lock it. You leave it OBVIOUSLY empty. You open the glove compartment to show that THAT is empty. Any electronic equipment you carry with.

Amusing tragic story - visiting Kwambuni one year, a geologist. Collects samples. Research over, team comes in to Eauville to catch the next plane out. Park on the busy street. Leave suitcases containing researcher's clothes and rock samples in car. Gone 15 minutes. Come back - suitcases gone. Friends supplemented researcher's wardrobe, but months of rocks gone.

Me, I try to imagine the look on the thieves' faces when they got it open.

It would serve them right if chains were attached to those very rocks and then to iron bracelets around their ankles, although lugging heavy suitcases to a safe distance only to find the weight they're carrying to them is valueless is kinda poetic justice to a small extent also. Unfortunately they'd have probably just counted such as a "bad catch" and try again later.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:18 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
Watch the bandits....that is how I feel. But, don't judge me until you watch the movie.

Bandits. Now THERE is a movie.

Also very different but very good in its own direction Crminal

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:24 pm

listen i am in no way saying that the very act of stealing is right, i had my room ransacked while living at an art school once, my photo's, my lp's and my computer was gone, something i spent my time on and it sucks.

what i am saying is that if we want to combat theft we have to take care of the numerous underlying reasons, i dont think anyone except a very select few greedy sobs deserve to be robbed of their possesions, and even them only to a degree, many of them have a claim to much.

we might oralize and justify but virtually everyone does have a direct negative finacial impact on someone somewhere and that is what we have to combat, we have to fight the perception that obscene amounts of money is anything but a show of ego and greed.
i am being contrarian, i think it is neccesary to start a debate about why people steal, that is a precursor to any solution.
also a debate of what responsibilities we have towards eachother and how these could help everyone.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:26 pm

Philologos wrote:
chrissyrun wrote:

Bandits. Now THERE is a movie.

Also very different but very good in its own direction Crminal

Yes! Bandits is one of my favorite movies!! !

It was criminal, but at least it wasn't targeting one specific person, plus, there were nice about it. :D

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:43 pm

Theft? You and I both live inside the system, so we would both agree that theft is unacceptable. However, for the guys who stole your stuff, they don't care. They got out of the "system". Survival of the fittest is truth, but what social Darwinists don't get is that men can actually redefine their environment. What the thieves did was to notice that they can't survive in the environment that was set by society. By ignoring the concept of property, they become able to survive without the blessing of the society.

All in all, it does not matter if we think it is unacceptable, it will continue to happen and to suggest changes to society to make it impossible to happen won't work, because thieves are already outside of our society. Ok, there is something that we could do to remove theft, and it would be to remove the concept of property so that theft would be impossible, but we do not want that, do we?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:48 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Theft? You and I both live inside the system, so we would both agree that theft is unacceptable. However, for the guys who stole your stuff, they don't care. They got out of the "system". Survival of the fittest is truth, but what social Darwinists don't get is that men can actually redefine their environment. What the thieves did was to notice that they can't survive in the environment that was set by society. By ignoring the concept of property, they become able to survive without the blessing of the society.

All in all, it does not matter if we think it is unacceptable, it will continue to happen and to suggest changes to society to make it impossible to happen won't work, because thieves are already outside of our society. Ok, there is something that we could do to remove theft, and it would be to remove the concept of property so that theft would be impossible, but we do not want that, do we?

Neither you nor I know the economic state of the thieves with any certainty, and yet you are willing to assume off the bat that they're some sort of "noble survivor".

As for the not wanting to "remove the concept of poverty", what? If I could help others to earn money I gladly would, but I can't even find an employer for myself yet much less provide work for others.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:

Even without property there would still be killing which is theft of life. So theft will not go away even in a society without property.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:22 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Even without property there would still be killing which is theft of life. So theft will not go away even in a society without property.

ruveyn

Sorry, ruveyn. Even if you allow Mind you cannot get away with "theft of life" Despite such pretty phrases as "the gift of life", until there is a big technologic shift life cannot be traded, stolen, borrowed, or given to another [though it can be given FOR another]. What we have is ending or destruction of life. Which is not theft. If I break your window or kill your dog I have possibly committed a crime, but I have stolen nothing.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

blunnet wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
If people think that they have a right to steal from me because their employer isn't paying them enough, they are wrong.

Some would believe that that is an imbalance of justice, and may justify themselves on it.

I don't think this is the case most of the time. If most thieves were really destitute I would feel some pity for them. The thing is there are so many other reasons people commit theft. I think many of them may have already been in jail before and the thought of going back isn't really a deterrent. They may also be psychologically addicted to the thrill of it.

I'm not saying that the world and capitalism in particular is just. I think our notions in the US are screwed up in a lot of ways. I just don't think feelings of injustice are primarily what motivates criminals.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:38 pm

marshall wrote:
blunnet wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
If people think that they have a right to steal from me because their employer isn't paying them enough, they are wrong.

Some would believe that that is an imbalance of justice, and may justify themselves on it.

I don't think this is the case most of the time. If most thieves were really destitute I would feel some pity for them. The thing is there are so many other reasons people commit theft. I think many of them may have already been in jail before and the thought of going back isn't really a deterrent. They may also be psychologically addicted to the thrill of it.

I'm not saying that the world and capitalism in particular is just. I think our notions in the US are screwed up in a lot of ways. I just don't think feelings of injustice are primarily what motivates criminals.

i think you are right, but i also think the shift that would come from a more "just" world order might have a "trickle down" effect in the long run.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:38 pm

most of the 10 commandments are in large part against theft, so theft is an important ethical issue. Interestingly enough, the Jews were the first to note that not just space or objects can be made holy, but that time itself could be sanctified, and just as it could be made holy, it could also be stolen. Time stealers are not always of the worst variety so not much thought is ever given about them, especially against a material(car) thief.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:45 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Neither you nor I know the economic state of the thieves with any certainty, and yet you are willing to assume off the bat that they're some sort of "noble survivor".

You are wrong my friend, I never attributed nobility to their actions. To me (and you) their actions are crap. And they are evil and a very big inconvenient.

There is nothing noble in their decision to prefer the good old violent way to access resources rather than accepting our arbitrary conventions about property. There is probably nothing noble in the way these arbitrary conventions were set either (I guess that a lot of people were tired of having to constantly fight for things so they, as a society agreed to make theft illegal).

There are thieves of all economic levels. I think that many thieves are actually struggling people, but then we have thieves that already possess a great monetary position and continue stealing.

The decision to just dismiss the notion of property, I would say is composed of many possible reasons. A common one should be that the individual is unable to perform well under our rules. Whether it is because of lazyness, a disability, a society bias against them or a broken economic system that does not allow people to climb from the bottom by just hard work. Or maybe they just want the "thrill" of a thief's life. Or maybe they want 10 times more money than they do, even though they are actually in a good, decent economic position already.

Quote:
As for the not wanting to "remove the concept of poverty"
I meant to say property.

Quote:
You are wrong my friend, I never attributed nobility to their actions. To me (and you) their actions are crap. And they are evil and a very big inconvenient.
On the other hand, those people that decided to live more like animals and be thieves probably think the same of those who don't.

ruveyn wrote:
Even without property there would still be killing which is theft of life. So theft will not go away even in a society without property. Edit: And that's actually what I said in the first place.

ruveyn

That's interesting.

And murder is really something that you cannot discourage people of doing. We have the psychos who get almost-sexual pleasure from it. Then on the more normal side of things, crimes for advancing position in a hierarchy will always happen as long as we have organization in society. And even if we get rid of that. Crimes of passion will occur for as long as there is some emotional part left in humans.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

There is nothing noble in their decision to prefer the good old violent way to access resources rather than accepting our arbitrary conventions about property. There is probably nothing noble in the way these arbitrary conventions were set either (I guess that a lot of people were tired of having to constantly fight for things so they, as a society agreed to make theft illegal).

There are thieves of all economic levels. I think that many thieves are actually struggling people, but then we have thieves that already possess a great monetary position and continue stealing.

The decision to just dismiss the notion of property, I would say is composed of many possible reasons. A common one should be that the individual is unable to perform well under our rules. Whether it is because of lazyness, a disability, a society bias against them or a broken economic system that does not allow people to climb from the bottom by just hard work. Or maybe they just want the "thrill" of a thief's life. Or maybe they want 10 times more money than they do, even though they are actually in a good, decent economic position already.

Quote:
As for the not wanting to "remove the concept of poverty"
I meant to say property.

Quote:
On the other hand, those people that decided to live more like animals and be thieves probably think the same of those who don't.

ruveyn wrote:
Even without property there would still be killing which is theft of life. So theft will not go away even in a society without property. Edit: And that's actually what I said in the first place.

ruveyn

That's interesting.

And murder is really something that you cannot discourage people of doing. We have the psychos who get almost-sexual pleasure from it. Then on the more normal side of things, crimes for advancing position in a hierarchy will always happen as long as we have organization in society. And even if we get rid of that. Crimes of passion will occur for as long as there is some emotional part left in humans.

Right, merely societal convention and mere notions of property that they're willing to throw away when it comes to taking from others, but I'd be willing to bet that they'd be ticked off if you tried to take theirs from them.