Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2011, 3:34 pm

If you are in a public space where many people are around and you need to pay someone for something, is it inappropriate to just hand them cash?

I've been having to do this, and every time I pull out the money, which involves $20 bills, and extend it in my hand, I feel very anxious and embarrassed.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 3:39 pm

Wow hah! I am the exact opposite. I don't think twice about pulling out large amounts of money in crowded places to pay the person I'm with and the person I'm with always tells me to put it away til we're not in a crowd. Happens to me very frequently.

Out of interest, why are you embarrassed? Or is it more that you're in the "people could mug you" camp with the rest of the logical people?

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

Paying in cash is fine. Not everyone likes to use plastic. You have no reason to feel embarassed for it. People pay cash all the time.

My mother is a millionaire and she pays for large purchases in $100 dollar bills!

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2011, 4:14 pm

I mean to another regular person, a tutor, not to a cashier or someone like that.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 4:25 pm

MollyTroubletail wrote:
Paying in cash is fine. Not everyone likes to use plastic. You have no reason to feel embarassed for it. People pay cash all the time.

My mother is a millionaire and she pays for large purchases in $100 dollar bills!

can i get a loan??? :lol:

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 7:40 pm

purchase wrote:
Wow hah! I am the exact opposite. I don't think twice about pulling out large amounts of money in crowded places to pay the person I'm with and the person I'm with always tells me to put it away til we're not in a crowd. Happens to me very frequently.

Out of interest, why are you embarrassed? Or is it more that you're in the "people could mug you" camp with the rest of the logical people?

Advice from a white guy who lives in a ghetto:

In a store, it's okay just avoid drawing any needless attention. In an outdoor ATM, get it into your wallet and get your wallet into your pocket as fast and discretely as possible. Look around before you get out of your car, frequently keep an eye over your shoulder, and don't go to an outdoor ATM after dark-especially if there are any lights out in the area because there is a good chance someone put them out on purpose. If it's a private transaction like in someone's front yard, use discretion. If you go somewhere at night and you can't park close to the building and under a light, come back some other time. Don't give money to panhandlers or you will be asking for problems. After much trying, I've learned that they don't want any assistance that cannot be converted into drugs or alcohol anyway. Wherever you go, try not to carry more cash than you expect to need.

Oh, and don't dismiss the possibility of well dressed white or Asian people posing a potential threat either.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 7:56 pm

sometimes my dad gives me money when we're out having a meal together and i worry people might think a questionable relationship is going on:/

SakeGirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

Quote:
I mean to another regular person, a tutor, not to a cashier or someone like that.

Do you mean like random people watching you and making assumpitions? i.e. 'she must be getting her fix', or worse. I know what you mean, I get like this when I go to my sister's. I take my own tea bags over but from a curtain twitcher it must obviously be drugs, huh. :roll:

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 11:27 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Oh, and don't dismiss the possibility of well dressed white or Asian people posing a potential threat either.

What about a well-dressed Native American person?
How about a half white, half Black person who has walked to the grocery store in sweatclothes at 11:49 pm to buy toothpaste having just realized they ran out and hating the feeling of going to bed with unbrushed teeth?
Ditto the above scenario for a 50% Black, 25% white, 25% Asian person?

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 10:33 am

@purchase: My husband does exactly the same. He gets all his money out to pay for everything (including small purchases). That makes ME anxious. I am always looking around to see who might be watching. I was raised in a very poor neighborhood where doing sonething like that could get you in real trouble.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 5:41 pm

I was never afraid of pulling out all my money. In fact I only pull out what I need. But it's never a good idea to pull it all out and count it because someone can come and grab it out of your hands and take off. Besides I only use cards to pay anyway. Not cash. I rarely carry cash on me and that is a good thing. But it won't stop someone from trying to steal my purse because they don't know I don't have cash in there.

pratchettfan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2011, 8:23 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
sometimes my dad gives me money when we're out having a meal together and i worry people might think a questionable relationship is going on:/

Nooooo....... I hope people don't think that when my mother does the same to me. They might think I'm a gigolo. 8O

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 8:31 pm

pratchettfan wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:

Nooooo....... I hope people don't think that when my mother does the same to me. They might think I'm a gigolo. 8O

:lol: exactly
i'm glad you feel my perverse pain

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 9:09 pm

When it comes to money I don't know what I am doing.. I don't carry cash around.. I use my debit card.. Though my parents have taught me to hide the money so I don't get robbed I usually pull all my money out if I was supposed to pay in cash.. but I don't carry huge amounts on me..

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 9:33 pm

purchase wrote:
John_Browning wrote:

What about a well-dressed Native American person?
How about a half white, half Black person who has walked to the grocery store in sweatclothes at 11:49 pm to buy toothpaste having just realized they ran out and hating the feeling of going to bed with unbrushed teeth?
Ditto the above scenario for a 50% Black, 25% white, 25% Asian person?

An emaciated crackhead with filthy dreadlocks hanging around the area is naturally going to be a concern when dealing with money or valuables, but don't trust anyone just because they look nice or seem nice. Actually, in those situations it's really best not to trust anyone at all. Don't give all your attention to one person that seems shady because there may be others around that are not as easy to spot either because they are keeping a low profile or they don't seem suspicious at first glance, and if you're not careful they can get close before you realize they are a threat. Or another example, if you are in a parking lot loading stuff into your car or using an outdoor ATM, don't just survey the area for threats just once and then turn your back keep looking over your shoulder about every 10-15 seconds in case someone comes out of someplace you couldn't see around like a large car or a building corner. In the event you see someone do that, even if they are the same age and race as you and dress similarly to you, don't assume they are nothing to worry about.

One last important note: Don't jump into a fighting stance or pull any sort of weapon (including less lethal ones) until you are threatened!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2011, 2:20 am

I am in Panama, a third world country with a high crime rate. Every time I handle money in public, before I do it actually, I look around to make sure there is no one who can just sprint toward me, snatch my wallet, and run like hell.

If that came to happe, I'd yell "thief, thief" until I run out of oxygen, running after someone who might be armed is not a good idea, but I'd make him run fast enough for people to get attention, and hopefully, the police.