Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 12:20 am

Even though i have the strange fortune in this day and age to work for a company that both has an actual pension plan AND is making money hand over fist, I fully expect to work until i die, or else become a terrible burden on my as-yet non-existent children.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 6:47 am

Perhaps a light touch of realism would be refreshing. Anyone over 50 or perhaps 45 is, for most cases when unemployed, pretty much out of the labor force. There are five applicants these days for each job opening. Perhaps "permanently unemployed" is not exactly equivalent to retirement but it's damned close. With unemployment insurance going out of fashion and the job market pretty much permanently glutted I wonder how realistic a retirement age of 65 or more really is.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 7:27 am

Sand wrote:
Philologos wrote:
My retirement and its effect on my cash flow do little to help the money supply. I wish the money supply would help me.

Sensible retiremernt policy would differentiate person from person and job from job. In an increasingly gridlocked uniformitarian world that hain't a gonna happen.

In practice, "retirement" like "education" functions mainly as a control on the labor statistics. Hey - Joe is retired, HE's not on the dole! Yeah - and Helen is still working on her degree, she's not unemployed.

I have no idea what the hell happened to you but this post is clear, open and concise. It's contrast to your previous submissions is startling. My compliments.

All that "happened" was that I expressed an idea that could fit through the door of your mind. Congratulations to you.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 7:43 am

Philologos wrote:
Sand wrote:
Philologos wrote:
My retirement and its effect on my cash flow do little to help the money supply. I wish the money supply would help me.

Sensible retiremernt policy would differentiate person from person and job from job. In an increasingly gridlocked uniformitarian world that hain't a gonna happen.

In practice, "retirement" like "education" functions mainly as a control on the labor statistics. Hey - Joe is retired, HE's not on the dole! Yeah - and Helen is still working on her degree, she's not unemployed.

I have no idea what the hell happened to you but this post is clear, open and concise. It's contrast to your previous submissions is startling. My compliments.

All that "happened" was that I expressed an idea that could fit through the door of your mind. Congratulations to you.

See? All it takes is simple direct and clear language without all that grotesque nonsense you usually revel in. Any directions in composing and writing consistently emphasizes clarity and simplicity of language. Nobody grokes the baroque.The ideas themselves, of course, are another matter altogether.

To quote that guru of gurus (the guru who can to get Obamaesque or simply the can guru) Albert Einstein: "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

Evidently those sprightly little thoughts that leap and tumble through your mind are sensitive to the heat of molding into recognizable language and they melt and run into glutenous blobs of verbalization. What you mistake for my doorway is merely a keyhole to my entrance and shoving that snotty stuff through is no doubt exasperating.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:32 am

Vexcalibur wrote:

* The age at which people actually need retirement and are not as able to work as before keeps raising. This is as simple as there are more people doing work at age 55 today than 40 years ago. Probably due to better health or something.

Ever heard of the "baby boom?"

Quote:
* Life expectancy is also on the rise.

Hurrah.

Quote:
* Retirement funding is basically a scheme that is based on the assumption that many of the people will die instead of living up to get the complete benefits. (Retirement is basically insurance against getting old).

It is a paradigm that sorely needs changing.

Quote:
So, as life expectancy rises, retirement age will have to rise as well, else retirement would stop being economically plausible.

Not really. Higher productivity will mean less requirement for labor, hence retirement will be economically plausible.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:46 am

pandabear wrote:
[
Quote:
Vexcalibur
So, as life expectancy rises, retirement age will have to rise as well, else retirement would stop being economically plausible.

Not really. Higher productivity will mean less requirement for labor, hence retirement will be economically plausible.

less requirement for labor=unemployment

Retired people are unemployed people living on the retirement benefits they accrued while working. If their lifespan goes past those benefits...what then?

If somebody's labor is not required then where will they get the money they need to live?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 10:52 am

Janissy wrote:
pandabear wrote:
[
Quote:
Vexcalibur

less requirement for labor=unemployment

Retired people are unemployed people living on the retirement benefits they accrued while working. If their lifespan goes past those benefits...what then?

If somebody's labor is not required then where will they get the money they need to live?

You've identified what is known as a "market failure", which signifies the requirement for the government to play a role.