Where in the United States should I live?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

IceKitten
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 9 Nov 2010
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 148

22 Jun 2011, 2:14 pm

Hi guys!

I would like to move to the USA, but I wonder what state I should move to.
I dislike too much heat and too much cold.
I like rain but I don't want it to rain all the time.
I like sun too but it should be cool outside.
The place should be as non-criminal as possible.

/ IceKitten.



chippie130
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 15
Location: Cambridge, England

22 Jun 2011, 2:40 pm

Northern California sounds about right for you, but I have to ask the question, Why do you want to live in America ? Having lived and worked in various parts of the world, I couldn't wait, for all it's faults, to get back to good old Blighty (Gt Britain)



USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 944
Location: Texas

22 Jun 2011, 2:42 pm

You're kinda picky. I don't think there's anywhere that fits your description perfectly. The best might be Washington (state) or Oregon. They have low crime, and plenty of government regulation (assuming you as a limey won't mind). The weather in the summer is great, but in the winter they get pretty cold.

But having that you grew up in the UK, you'll probably hate it with all it's feud unless I can convince you why it's better.


_________________
I Like Trains.


Last edited by USMCnBNSFdude on 22 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2009
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,569

22 Jun 2011, 2:42 pm

Go to my state, the best state in the world. Washington.


_________________
WRLL


TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 29,539
Location: California

22 Jun 2011, 2:44 pm

Don't come to California. I'm kind of mean. :P


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,299

22 Jun 2011, 3:07 pm

Good luck trying to live there, I've heard it's impossible to move there from another country unless you're a movie star, pop star, brain surgeon, superhero or a wizard.

I'm desperately trying to think of ways to get to New York, myself :)

I have so many dreams about it that won't stop bugging me; it's about time!



YourMother
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 735
Location: Europa

22 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

Try not living in America. It's evil.



USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 944
Location: Texas

22 Jun 2011, 3:12 pm

Simonono wrote:
Good luck trying to live there, I've heard it's impossible to move there from another country unless you're a movie star, pop star, brain surgeon, superhero or a wizard.

I'm desperately trying to think of ways to get to New York, myself :)

I have so many dreams about it that won't stop bugging me; it's about time!

May I ask why you wish to come here so much? I've never heard a European or Canadian say something positive about the US.


_________________
I Like Trains.


TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jul 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 29,539
Location: California

22 Jun 2011, 3:13 pm

Simonono wrote:
Good luck trying to live there, I've heard it's impossible to move there from another country unless you're a movie star, pop star, brain surgeon, superhero or a wizard.

I'm desperately trying to think of ways to get to New York, myself :)

I have so many dreams about it that won't stop bugging me; it's about time!


We do need more superheros and wizards here. OP, are you opposed to brightly colored spandex?


_________________
Still looking for that blue jean baby queen, prettiest girl I've ever seen.


pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,659
Location: Everywhere

22 Jun 2011, 3:22 pm

Yes yes California's awesome... I wish I could live there someday *starts dreaming*



chippie130
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2011
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 15
Location: Cambridge, England

22 Jun 2011, 3:26 pm

I have very close friends in CT and MAS, I visit at least once a year for 2-3 weeks. Much as I love to visit and experience the difference the void between the wealthy and poor is almost as polarised as I have seen when visiting wealthy relatives in South Africa. On a visit to Florida I was appalled at the extent of what we in the U.K. would term slums, surrounding great chunks of Miami. It made Mosside and Toxteth appear luxurious. If this seems a little anti America please accept my most humble ap.........................................



ASMJT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 312
Location: Wherever we decide to go...

22 Jun 2011, 3:37 pm

pree10shun wrote:
Yes yes California's awesome... I wish I could live there someday *starts dreaming*


California is the last place I ever wanted to live, but here I am! The food and weather is superb, that's for sure. It's like an entirely different world compared to my old home in Ohio. Being with someone you love definitely helps the transition.

As for the OP, I'm not too sure you are going to find a suitable place unless you are willing to compromise a little. I'm not sure why you want to move to the states, but to me, everywhere is just the same book, but different cover. Good luck!


_________________
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,388
Location: Portland, Oregon

22 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm

Come live in Portland, Oregon!


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 944
Location: Texas

22 Jun 2011, 3:43 pm

chippie130 wrote:
I have very close friends in CT and MAS, I visit at least once a year for 2-3 weeks. Much as I love to visit and experience the difference the void between the wealthy and poor is almost as polarised as I have seen when visiting wealthy relatives in South Africa. On a visit to Florida I was appalled at the extent of what we in the U.K. would term slums, surrounding great chunks of Miami. It made Mosside and Toxteth appear luxurious. If this seems a little anti America please accept my most humble ap.........................................

There is no void. Don't judge based on how people houses look. I live in a two story house with 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a catwalk/balcony overlooking a living room with a two story ceiling, a huge kitchen, and the outside is made from sandstone with a big half moon window above the front door. And guess what? My family can't afford a new car, an XBox, or a flat screen TV to match. Meanwhile, I have a friend whose family doesn't make much less money than mine, living in a rather run down home (which looks like it was intended as mobile home), with one bathroom and two bedrooms, but has an XBox, four computers, 10 acres of land, a couple horses and all the video games in the world. What someone spends their money on can be deceiving. I don't doubt you saw truly poor people (and Florida is shitty state to begin with), but everywhere I've lived there was never one set standard for a neighborhood or town. There were always households of differing income.


_________________
I Like Trains.


pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,659
Location: Everywhere

22 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

ASMJT wrote:
pree10shun wrote:
Yes yes California's awesome... I wish I could live there someday *starts dreaming*


California is the last place I ever wanted to live, but here I am! The food and weather is superb, that's for sure. It's like an entirely different world compared to my old home in Ohio. Being with someone you love definitely helps the transition.

As for the OP, I'm not too sure you are going to find a suitable place unless you are willing to compromise a little. I'm not sure why you want to move to the states, but to me, everywhere is just the same book, but different cover. Good luck!


It's the greenery that appeals to me... where I live it's a desert...