Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 1:17 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Also, FYI, I disagree with the rampant assumption the girl should have known the person was disabled.

we based our assumptions on the OP's actual words. not sure what you were reading instead:

Jonsi wrote:
Becoming instantly unnattractive, she says that he was just some crazy autistic kid.

You are right, I should have re-read before posting.

But. "Autistic" has become the modern equivalent of "ret*d" and, sorry, despite all the PC it is too common to assume that someone expressing themsleves that way has any understanding of whatharm they are causing. My son is now hiding his diagnosis from kids at school because he is tired of explaining, and that is his choice to make, but having known most of these kids their whole lives I am not about to believe they will all grow up into mean, horrible adults. Their parents are too much to the opposite. They're just stupid kids being stupid kids and someone will have to be the one close enough to ASD to finally teach them about it and leave a lasting impression. And it will have to be a peer. So if jonsi is up to it, why shouldn't it be him? I'd he,s not up to it, fine, that is for him to decide, but for people to actively encourage him to stay inside his rightful anger and not try to teach someone hhe cares about at least enough to ask on a date ... Cannot and will never agree. He doesn't have a duty to do it, but he has an opportunity, and life is best iived without slamming doors on opportunities. Sure, all opportunities carry risks, but most of us live to regret more the risks not taken, than the ones realized. Which is especially true when it comes to dating.

i don't advocate randomly slamming doors on opportunities, and it could definitely be a good idea to explain to the girl why her behaviour was unacceptable. i just don't think it is a good idea to continue to have contact with her from that point forward.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 2:43 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Also, FYI, I disagree with the rampant assumption the girl should have known the person was disabled.

we based our assumptions on the OP's actual words. not sure what you were reading instead:

Jonsi wrote:
Becoming instantly unnattractive, she says that he was just some crazy autistic kid.

You are right, I should have re-read before posting.

But. "Autistic" has become the modern equivalent of "ret*d" and, sorry, despite all the PC it is too common to assume that someone expressing themsleves that way has any understanding of whatharm they are causing. My son is now hiding his diagnosis from kids at school because he is tired of explaining, and that is his choice to make, but having known most of these kids their whole lives I am not about to believe they will all grow up into mean, horrible adults. Their parents are too much to the opposite. They're just stupid kids being stupid kids and someone will have to be the one close enough to ASD to finally teach them about it and leave a lasting impression. And it will have to be a peer. So if jonsi is up to it, why shouldn't it be him? I'd he,s not up to it, fine, that is for him to decide, but for people to actively encourage him to stay inside his rightful anger and not try to teach someone hhe cares about at least enough to ask on a date ... Cannot and will never agree. He doesn't have a duty to do it, but he has an opportunity, and life is best iived without slamming doors on opportunities. Sure, all opportunities carry risks, but most of us live to regret more the risks not taken, than the ones realized. Which is especially true when it comes to dating.

i don't advocate randomly slamming doors on opportunities, and it could definitely be a good idea to explain to the girl why her behaviour was unacceptable. i just don't think it is a good idea to continue to have contact with her from that point forward.

If she tends to contact you by phone, next time she calls/texts you could shoot her a text explaining why you were disgusted with her behavior and flat out tell her that if that is the kind of attitude she insists on having when it comes to people with disabilities (or however you wish to word it) that you are going to block her from your phone/fb/etc./life.

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2011, 2:57 pm

Peko wrote:
If she tends to contact you by phone, next time she calls/texts you could shoot her a text explaining why you were disgusted with her behavior and flat out tell her that if that is the kind of attitude she insists on having when it comes to people with disabilities (or however you wish to word it) that you are going to block her from your phone/fb/etc./life.

We don't know yet if she insists that there was nothing wrong in ridiculing the kid. I think it would be mistaken for him to communicate by text like that, since it carries a sort of finality; an unwillingness to consider her apology. If she doesn't actually regret the ridicule, he would be more sure about that fact after having discussed it with her.