Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 10:02 pm

mori_pastel wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:
Does anyone know of any good online ToM tests where you can click a button and submit? I haven't been able to find any. Maybe that is because there aren't any, but I thought I would ask anyway.

This one does strange stories with slides:

http://www.slideshare.net/jamiedavies/a ... ion-652250

Why in the world is the post office the most obvious place to look? I would have said the fitness class because sometimes people take their glasses off when they exercise.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. I would have said the flower shop because that was the last place she was and what you say about the fitness class makes sense, so that would make the post office the least obvious place, to me.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
mori_pastel wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:
Does anyone know of any good online ToM tests where you can click a button and submit? I haven't been able to find any. Maybe that is because there aren't any, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Why in the world is the post office the most obvious place to look? I would have said the fitness class because sometimes people take their glasses off when they exercise.

Yeah, I was wondering that too. I would have said the flower shop because that was the last place she was and what you say about the fitness class makes sense, so that would make the post office the least obvious place, to me.

I've put way too much thought into this little scenario...perhaps the glasses were reading glasses and she had to read something at the post office, but likely wouldn't have read anything at the gym or the flower shop. If that were the case, the only place the glasses would have been out would have been the post office....

Did I get it right????

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 10:11 pm

I was the only one who passed the test in the second grade. First, the other kids berated me for getting the 'wrong' answer. When the teacher demonstrated why my answer was right, the other kids accused me of cheating. When the teacher explained that I had not cheated, a few of the the other kids beat me up after school for making them look stupid.

Thus setting off a pattern of events that lasted until high-school graduation...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mori_pastel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jun 2011, 10:54 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
ocdgirl123 wrote:
mori_pastel wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

I've put way too much thought into this little scenario...perhaps the glasses were reading glasses and she had to read something at the post office, but likely wouldn't have read anything at the gym or the flower shop. If that were the case, the only place the glasses would have been out would have been the post office....

Did I get it right????

Ah, that makes sense.

Wait, what the heck does this have to do with theory of mind? We don't have to infer anything about what she's thinking. It's about what she's physically capable or incapable of doing. Well, technically I suppose it's about what the dude who is looking for her glasses is thinking. Agh. @_@

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Jun 2011, 11:32 pm

mori_pastel wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

I have no idea. I haven't found an explanation of this.

flyingdutchman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2011, 2:24 pm

I did a ToM test online some time ago. I also did not understand what it was supposed to measure. It seems like if you read carefully and take your time that it is easy to ace it. I had very little mistakes. I figured it is more like a reading comprehension test. The reading comprehension tests I got in high school were more complicated. Of course, it could be that the test was meant for children, not adults...

Dessie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jun 2011, 4:17 pm

mori_pastel wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

I don't know this one either. Makes no sense. I thought the fitness class too.

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

That test was interesting. I wonder how it is used, though. If there's supposed to be just one "right answer" for every question, then I think it's way too simplistic.

I'm curious what people's thought processes were with some of these questions. Here's mine (spoilers for the test if you haven't taken it yet and want to):

1. Pretend
-- Is it true what Emma says?
No. A banana is not a telephone.
-- Why does Emma say this?
She is playing make-believe.

2. Joke
-- Is it true what James says?
No. The dog is not an elephant.
-- Why does he say this?
He is joking or using hyperbole.

3. White Lie
-- Was it true, what Peter said?
I don't know. I haven't seen the hat. Maybe I would think it was nice. Also, even if Peter thinks the hat is ugly, the fact that it makes his aunt happy is enough reason to call it "nice."
-- Why did he say it?
I don't know. There could be any number of reasons.

4. Figure of Speech
-- Is it true, what Father says?
Yes. Saying that someone has a frog in their throat means that they have a cough.
-- Why does he say that?
He is expressing sympathy for his daughter.

5. Irony
-- Is it true what Ann's mother says?
No. She is saying the opposite of what she means.
-- Why does Ann's mother say this?
She is being sarcastic.

6. Misunderstanding
-- Was the man surprised at what Mrs. Peabody said?
I don't know. You haven't told that part of the story yet. But it makes sense that he would be surprised.
-- Why did she say that, when he only wanted to ask her the time?
She thought he wanted to rob her.

7. Forgetting
-- Is it true, what Yvonne says?
No.
-- Why does Yvonne say this?
Either she has forgotten that she left the doll outside, or she is lying.

8. Army
-- Why did the Blue army win?
The story clearly wants the reader to say that the Blue army won because the fog kept the air force from being a factor, and Blue won because they had better ground forces than Yellow. If this were real life rather than an example, though, I would need a lot more information than this to answer the question.

9. Glasses
-- Why is the post office the most likely place to look?
I don't know. Maybe Ted thinks that Sarah was more likely to lose her glasses in a place where she would have needed to take them out to use them. (They are for farsightedness, so she would need them for reading or writing.) But it seems equally easy to forget something because you don't need it. Maybe he figures that she would have noticed the glasses were missing at the post office if she had lost them before that. But if that were the case, wouldn't Sarah have mentioned that when she was telling Ted where she'd been?

This is why I'm bad at these tests. Not enough information. :)

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 6:12 pm

Are there answers to this test anywhere? I can answer all the stories, but how do I know if I am correct or not?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Jun 2011, 6:20 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Are there answers to this test anywhere? I can answer all the stories, but how do I know if I am correct or not?

I couldn't find any answers, unfortunately.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Jun 2011, 6:21 pm

littlelily613 wrote:

The titles give away the correct answers.

aelf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2011, 7:25 pm

bicentennialman wrote:
5. Irony
-- Is it true what Ann's mother says?
No. She is saying the opposite of what she means.
-- Why does Ann's mother say this?
She is being sarcastic.

Oh, wow, I totally didn't get this. It literally hurt my head when I read the question because it made no sense, and when I finally made sense of it, my answer was that her mother was referring to bringing the fish and chips to Ann as being nice and polite, trying to guilt Ann into being thankful for it.

Quote:
8. Army
-- Why did the Blue army win?
The story clearly wants the reader to say that the Blue army won because the fog kept the air force from being a factor, and Blue won because they had better ground forces than Yellow. If this were real life rather than an example, though, I would need a lot more information than this to answer the question.

It's a badly written question, because ground troops can fight on a mountain, as the mountain has ground on it. The use of the word "fog" makes it confusing, since if it were really a fog rather than a cloud, it would be closer to the ground, and thus impede the Blue Army more. Or so it seemed to me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 7:37 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Another kind of test is the strange stories test:

Quote:
Sarah and Tom are going on a picnic. It is Tom's idea, he says it is going to be a lovely sunny day for a picnic. But just as they are unpacking the food, it starts to rain, and soon they are both soaked to the skin. Sarah is cross. She says, "Oh yes, a lovely day for a picnic alright!"

Is it true, what Sarah says?

Why does she say this?

I don't think this is a good example because the story tells you what Sarah's mood is.

My answer to that is no. She was being sarcastic. She was upset about the raining and was expecting it to stay lovely.

I wonder if the test is to show how she feels than saying she is cross because they want you to make up your own words.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 7:50 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
mori_pastel wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
littlelily613 wrote:

I assume he goes to the post office because that is the first place he passes by when he goes looking for them. So he stopped since that was the first place he passed by.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 7:57 pm

Here's an oldie:

A woman attends her sister's funeral, where she meets a man she had never met before, and immediately falls in love with him. A few days later, she kills her other sister. Why?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 10:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
Here's an oldie:

A woman attends her sister's funeral, where she meets a man she had never met before, and immediately falls in love with him. A few days later, she kills her other sister. Why?

because you forgot to get his phone number and she hopes he will come to the funeral.